UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Help !

taylor

Guys Im at a loss with this :unsure: last night Paddywhack started licking the furniture and then Chewing my pc chair legs ! I feel quite guilty as they have not had a lot of attention over the last couple of weeks as my moms been in and out of hospital and its just been place to place and not meeting many dogs or varied walks so thought it could be boredom. Have drawn together an action plan to cheer him up and today he has had 2 walks , half hour play .... 2 search for the ham sessions a filled kong and a few rags to rip food out of and a bath ! :D ... I have just sat down and lick lick chew chew :huh:

to me it seems he protests to me being on the pc so long .... but is that paranoia ???

I would really appreciate opinions and experience .... Im really stuck on this one :flowers:

I'm probably going to bore people silly with this sort of thing in the future but I'm studying Canine Behaviour and Psychology at the moment and have just studied a section on why dogs chew.

The three main reasons are; boredom/anxiety, teething or diet.

Firstly, the action of chewing releases endorphines which subdue a stressed dog, which means that chewing can actually be relaxing and provide therapy.

Secondly, a teething dog (up to about 12 months) can get relief, as a baby does, from chewing to ease the gums.

Thirdly, a dog that has a diet which is insufficient in fibre can try to find it's own source of fibre. Carpets, door frames, furniture and cardboard/paper are the likely suspects as the dogs tries to supplement it's own diet and find roughage.

I hope that helps :flowers: My lot occasionally lick their beds then their legs and it's out of boredom. A quick distraction and they stop.

Jacobean hes a little terrier yorkie cross about 4 ish , never really been any trouble and quite laid back until now.

Peachy thanks for your info really appreciated ... do you think he may be in some sort of discomfort and its displacement behavior cos he seems quite frantic with it now and it only started yesterday :(

That or he has got really bored ever so quickly ? :huh: I wish I knew

Thanks so much for the replies guys :flowers:

Can you pop him on your knee while you're on the pc or is he too much of a fidget. It does sound like he's decided he wants your attention. What is he like normally? My last yorkie used to follow me around everywhere and insisted she sat on my knee when I was at the computer. She would whine and then jump up at me until I popped her up with me. They do get unsettled when they're out of their routine sometimes. Are you able to go back to normality now or are you still going to be out and about with him still? Just wondering if someone can help look after him, sit with him for you.

I think he's just quickly learned that licking/chewing will occupy his time when he's not getting attention. I wouldn't worry about it too much for now. Try a firm 'no' but make sure you don't give kongs or attention to him straight afterwards otherwise he'll think chewing = fuss or kong or treats.

Iv decided to call the vet, on further observation the little man is trying to settle but it seems that he is either getting sudden pains or urges to do this ... he even just had a go at the radiator.

Its like he wants to settle and i sat on the sofa with him just and he dived on me licking at me and my clothes.Neve done this in our whole 2.5 years together :unsure: Im so worried there is something wrong with him. It seems to come in spasms and hes not comfortable :mecry: and has come on all of a sudden

no hes chewing mainly my wooden furniture and the bone / toy box but occasionally having a chomp at the heater :unsure: Iv called the vet waffling on that I dont know if its an emergency :huh: They said keep an eye on him tonight and take him in if gets worse otherwise go in tomorrow ... we are all going to bed now see if we can settle him on the bed.

Thanks all for taking the time to reply :flowers:

I've known dogs do this when they've been in pain/discomfort, it seems to be a sort displacement activity or attempt to comfort themselves.

Meg went frantic one evening licking the carpet and the walls, I was in a total panic wondering what was wrong - it turned out to be infected anal glands :wacko:

Hope you manage to sort it out and he's OK :GroupHug: