UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Wagg Dog Food

whitetiger

I was given some wagg dog food which I mixed in with my dogs usual food (Dr Johns) they seemed to enjoy it and it had no bad effects in the toilet dept etc ....

Anyway my friends have their dogs currently on Bakers which I know is not the best ethically and addativly so I was wondering if recommending wagg would be bettter or not? the thing is they buy their dog food from the supermarket so its either the usual brands :grrr: , supermarket own or wagg....they tried Dr Johns as I can get my supplier to deliver to them but they wont eat it...unless its out of my dogs dishes :rolleyes:

Also just had a thought....is Dr Johns on the good list? :unsure:

Edited by whitetiger

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure about the animal testing side of Wagg but from a quality point of view I would think it must be preferable to Bakers.

There's info on the Wagg site: http://www.waggfoods.co.uk/about_wagg.aspx

and it says:

We don't use any artificial colours or flavours in our pet food, the meat in our pet food is human food grade and, where possible, we source our raw materials locally or nationally, within the UK.

Edit, looking at the ingredients of the Wagg Complete Premium it lists:

Wagg Complete Premium contains Wheat, Meat Meal, Wheatfeed, Maize, Chicken Meat Meal (min 4% in Chicken Kibble), Carrot & Rice (min 20% in Carrot/Rice Disc), Oils & Fats, Linseed, Beet Pulp, Peas (min 4% in Pea Kibble), Lucerne, Vitamins & Minerals. Added Citrus, Yeast & Yucca. With Antioxidant and Preserved with: EC additives.

I feed Naturediet, which I know is expensive but the meat content of that is 55-60% and that is meat rather than a meat meal, so there's a huge difference there. I wouldn't personally want to feed something that lists wheat and maize as two of the main ingredients - and I'd also be interested to know what the EC additives were?

What about something like Autarky or CSJ, I haven't fed either but they seem to be quite popular?

I changed to Wagg a while back. I used to use JWB, which I still think is a much 'better' food, but two of my five simply wouldn't eat it unless I added loads of other stuff (and also it is now owned by the Mars Group whcih I wasn't over happy about). I've tried quite a few foods and Wagg is about the only one they will all eat without fuss.

I have to say I'm really pleased with it - the dogs love it, it seems to suit even Taz who has quite a sensitive tum and they are all looking really well on it.

Wagg is a relatively local co. to me, established in 1923, claiming to be "one of the fastest growing family run pet food manufacturers in the UK" & owned & run by a family who are themselves dog owners who are "more than happy to share our experiences or give advice if you need it" & with a goal to "produce the highest quality pet foods using only the finest ingredients, at the best possible price".

I tend to believe that I wouldn't eat purely dried food & therefore don't give it to my dogs. I do however give meat with a mixer / complete. I tried Dr Johns Gold recently for the first time, am currently trying a "breeder pack" but have normally used other products including Wagg.

I thinks Ange's comment on meat content versus meat meal is fair but as with anything in life you can only expect to get what you pay for. The leaflets I have don't actually seem to mention any preservatives though the naturally & healthy is emphasised & I'd be surprised if they then spoilt it. Personally I'd say thay if you're going to buy a supermarket type brand then I believe Wagg will compare well against any of the bigger name brands.

If you want more info & visit their website you'll find a range of products,the ingredients, vitamin & protein contents etc. They'll also be happy to hear from you & answer any questions you may raise if you wish to contact them at [email protected]

If you're looking for another alternative with a high meat content Vitalin, another Yorkshire company produces a range including 18, 25 & 30%+ meat. Only some of their range tends to be available round here & I haven't tried them all but again it's a competitively priced brand claiming "only the finest ingredients", palatibility, nutritious etc if that's what you're looking for. See www.vitalinpetfood.co.uk for more info

I thinks Ange's comment on meat content versus meat meal is fair but as with anything in life you can only expect to get what you pay for.

I agree with that to an extent Ian :) but there are foods - such as Bakers - which are more expensive than others which I would prefer to feed if I had to choose between the two.

I am what some might call a dog-food snob I suppose, I like to make sure my dogs are eating a good quality food and I'm really not convinced I can do that cheaply, so best I shall refrain from posting in this thread now for fear of causing offence (though I have emailed Wagg to ask about the EC additives they use so will post about that if I get a response) :flowers:

Ian, if yours liked Dr Johns Gold, the Silver could also be worth a try. It's slightly lower in protein and I've found that it suits both of mine, and the various fosters that have stayed.

Whilst I do agree a little with the "you get what you pay for" theory, I also think its worth remembering that some manufacturers don't advertise as much as others and their costs are therefore lower. I pay about £7.50 for a 15kg sack of Dr Johns. I've paid twice that for Burgess etc but not found the quality to be any better.

Having said all that, some foods suit some dogs better :rolleyes: :laugh:

Thanks peeps :flowers: I get confused with all the ingredients stuff

I think next time I visit my friend I will take a hand full of wagg with me and see what her dogs make of it, fingers crossed they will like it and I can convince them to change as Im sure the bakers isnt doing them any favours,aside from it being on the nasty list they seem to get itchy skin on one dog, another is hypo but the 3rd dog seems fine on it.

I find Dr Johns is great for my 3 and as I usually have a foster or two as well the price is fab too! they usually get something yummy like tuna etc as well but they will eat it on its own too.

Thanks peeps :flowers: I get confused with all the ingredients stuff

I think next time I visit my friend I will take a hand full of wagg with me and see what her dogs make of it, fingers crossed they will like it and I can convince them to change as Im sure the bakers isnt doing them any favours,aside from it being on the nasty list they seem to get itchy skin on one dog, another is hypo but the 3rd dog seems fine on it.

I find Dr Johns is great for my 3 and as I usually have a foster or two as well the price is fab too! they usually get something yummy like tuna etc as well but they will eat it on its own too.

After many trials and errors with my Archie I have found the only commercial dog food he will eat and that does not cause him tummy upsets or itching is Wagg. I always keep a bag in because he's not in the least bit food orientated and sometimes won't have his home-made but is always happy to munch Wagg.

He has a lovely glossy coat and is bouncing with health.

Marion

Edited to add that it's the Wagg Premium we have here.

Edited by Yantan

I am what some might call a dog-food snob I suppose, I like to make sure my dogs are eating a good quality food and I'm really not convinced I can do that cheaply, so best I shall refrain from posting in this thread now for fear of causing offence (though I have emailed Wagg to ask about the EC additives they use so will post about that if I get a response) :flowers:

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to food as well. I don't like the sound of the EEC additives in Wagg, I'm afraid I would never feed my dogs a food with BHA or BHT in it.

Wagg at least looks as if it's a better food than some of the ones around.

Terri

I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to food as well. I don't like the sound of the EEC additives in Wagg, I'm afraid I would never feed my dogs a food with BHA or BHT in it.

Wagg at least looks as if it's a better food than some of the ones around.

Terri

I know where you are coming from Terri and I agree, but I exhausted all the better makes like Burns - Archie just wouldn't eat them and I was wasting loads of money. I did some research on Wagg and they came about the mid point on a scale of good to bad. If someone now proves that it's really crap I don't know what I will do for a back-up :(

Marion