UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Fighting Between Forum

yena

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think on any board you get groups gangs ect that will always stick together I think this is universal accross foodie, doggy , football, pc ect anything. I guess you either defend yourself or leave you always have a choice.

I think the problem is as you are talking on an internet forum and not in real life you tend to be more honest which is turn causes more issues. But I think the main thing I remember is that no-ones opinion is right or wrong it cant be it is THERE opinion which doesnt make it a fact and just cause people do things differently to you doesnt make it wrong.

I don't think fighting between forums achieve a lot really. I think good healthy open debate is good, and if people find that a board has rules or ethics they don't agree with, then people can leave. But obviously we cannot all agree on everything, so disagreements should be expected within forums and members.

I am a member of a danish horse forum, and a lot of them swear like truckers and fishermens wives, and their defense is "if you don't like it, don't read it" :rolleyes: I thought they were mostly teenagers from their fowl language but turns out a lot of them are older than me lol...

I think as long as people are polite about voicing their opinion, most boards will welcome discussion, but there is a line where opinion just becomes abuse for the sake of it.

Hate it total waste of time serves no purpose and achieves nothing, when I first opened my Rottweiler Forum, I was very polite and told another Rottweiler Forum's Admin that I was doing it and it was not set up in competition and that they were more than welcome on it blah blah blah, the fall out from that was horrendous, to the extent that it got very personal and hurtful, it ended up like something out of a school yard, you can't be my friend if your these peoples friends etc, it was pathetic really, and looking back at it now all rather childish on all sides involved ( I include myself in that) and I believe it cost a few people some very good friendships that they had made off line as well as some of the personal attacks that went on behind in the back ground were shocking all because of a forum :wacko: . Now I very much look at it like it's not the real world and it serves no purpose fighting on the tinternet as what does it achieve, and I hope that we are now all pulling together to help our breed and have put the past behind us, or just all grown up a bit... :laugh: :laugh: I think you start to think of forums as "yours" even if your not the owner of the board, so you feel you have to defend them if they are attacked which is why it sort of starts to feel personal, I hope I've learned to take a step back from stuff like that now.. :unsure:

most of the forums I'm an active member of (except this one) have very strict posting guidelines, in that the actual on-topic forum you have to post something constructive no spam etc but in the other forums it's fair game, anything and everything goes. Admin say this is what the members want, if you don't like it, don't visit and I agree with the admin. There are frequent forum wars between other boards and it does get pretty messy and down right nasty, can't say we have ever lost a member that has been missed through it though. But for some strange reason it doesn't get in the way of actual topic discussions so the board lives on.

I meant to add to my post that alothough it gets nasty when a forum war is going on it has never ended badly for the board, we tend to get more viewrs, members and it increases the popularity. I have been on the recieving end of personal attacks but I can give as good as I get and it has never gotten "real" I suppose if it did I'd have a different opinion.

Edited by kittycat

However, I seem to be a ' head in the sand' member as any bickering between forums seems to by-pass me and I only realise there must have been 'words said' when members go missing.

Ostriches of the world unite, Tisaan! :laugh: Most of the political stuff goes straight over my head too.

I'm all for healthy debate provided that it's constructive, furthers the cause of animal welfare and helps us all to improve on what we do. That relies on being open to other points of view though and it seems that doesn't always happen, sadly.

I hate what bits of infighting I am aware of when it seems that sight of what we're all here for - saving animals and helping them to find loving homes, learning from the experiences of others etc. - is lost somewhere along the way.

Aside from the odd non-animal related spat in the Contro thread (which I've thoroughly enjoyed :D ) I've really appreciated having my mind changed on certain issues where others with far greater knowledge than I possess have contributed. :flowers:

I suppose it depends on what you define as a "war". When you get to the point that if someone belongs to one forum they aren't welcome on another...not because of their views or anything, just because they belong to the other one..then I think its stupidly childish and people need to grow up. I belong to three forums, I post infrequently on all of them but have a look most days. There are times I have to bite my tongue and sit on my hands rather than make a reply I'd like to, as I know it would probably get me banned! :rolleyes:

Personally I think its a pity that we can't all pull in the same direction, for dogs...but then, thats not human nature is it? or there wouldn't be the fighting between different religions, races, colours etc.