UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Healing Thoughts Please

GSDFan

Poor old lad :wub: hope you get some good news

Is it Anal Funculosis (sp) that he has ? if so there's been some success in treating it with Protopic cream, it's a prescription cream for ulcers in people.

No, it isn't AF. It's two big cysts, one of which has ulcerated. I've had a dog with AF and in some ways I'd rather this was AF, it would be no harder, and possibly easier, to deal with.

Apart from anything else it is very difficult to keep the cysts clean, they are so close to his anus that he gets poo on them whenever he goes. Unfortunately he is no longer totally continent so I'm not always there to clean him up.

It may well be though that Protopic will work.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well we're all home :)

Lasso has antibiotics and Fuciderm cream and I've also got some Manuka honey to put on the ulcer.

Sian thought it was best if we clip off the hair from around his bottom and the underside of his tail and because he tends to get a lot of wee on his knickers and the inside of his back legs to do that as well. Doing that will make him much easier to keep clean. That's one reason we are so late home because we left him with Sian so she could do the clipping cos she has super duper dog clippers and we don't.

He is very much on borrowed time now, how long depends on how quickly the ulcer gets too bad. It may be a few days or it may be several weeks. We don't think that there is much possibility of it healing.

I did discuss pts with Sian and her opinion is that it is a very 'grey' area. She doesn't disagree with us attempting treatment and seeing how he goes because he does seem quite happy in himself but neither would she have disagreed if I had wanted to pts immediately.

The other reason we are so late getting back into the house is because we took him to the Vets in the Land Rover, it is easier to put a ramp up and help him in like that than it is to struggle getting him in the car. However, he likes to be in a vehicle and when we got him home he refused to get out. He was quite happy laying there watching the world go past :rolleyes: I even borrowed a small child from over the road to try and encourage him to get out. When he finally did get out he demanded a walk up the road.

Anyway, he's tucked up in bed now, after a dinner of mixed game and enough tablets to make him rattle :laugh: and I doubt after his exertions today he'll do much more than sleep now until morning.

Any positive thoughts over the next little while would be appreciated, I'd like the grumpy old git :wub: to stay with me as long as possible.

I hope he will be around for a good while yet, bless him. The manuka honey is brilliant stuff.

It really is brilliant stuff as I have mentioned in Sam's thread. Try giving him a dollop (5-10ml) on a spoon as given internally it really helps fight infection etc.

Really glad he has come home with you Jackie :GroupHug:

It really is brilliant stuff as I have mentioned in Sam's thread. Try giving him a dollop (5-10ml) on a spoon as given internally it really helps fight infection etc.

Really glad he has come home with you Jackie :GroupHug:

I'll try that thanks :biggrin: whether he'll be prepared to eat it or not is a different matter :rolleyes:

I hope you get to do @rse cleaning for a while yet Jackie (and I mean that in the nicest way possible) :wink:

Thank you :laugh: It always has been one of my favourite jobs :sick01:

Sorry, hope you won't my posting as we don't know you :flowers:

Best wishes sent from us here. It seems he's not ready to go anywhere yet - other than a ride in the car and a walk when he wants one :wink:

I hope you have some more better times ahead :)

Of course I don't mind, I'm very grateful :flowers: It's one of the nice things about the Refuge, we're mostly friends on here whether we know each other or not :biggrin:

The old git is very tired tonight, absolutely flat out and not wanting to move, I'm not surprised though bless him