UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

An Anniversary

buddyboy

A year and a week ago today I took my late Bud's coat and other bits into Dogs Trust along with their normal Christmas stuff. I was a bit upset still and just handed it over to someone who didn't know me, so didn't talk to anyone really. When I got home I realised I had forgotten the pile of newspapers, but just thought they could wait until next time I was down that way, as a 30 odd mile round trip just to drop them off was a bit silly.

A year ago today I had done all the usual chores, and at 2:00 got an urge to take the newspapers to the Dogs Trust. I kept telling myself that was silly, and they could at least wait until I next called in to my friend who lives halfway there.... but the urge was very strong and in the end I went. As I walked into reception there were quite a few staff around, and only 2 other members of the public. The staff were ones who knew me, and said about Bud, and how much he had enjoyed his life with me (he was about 10 when he came to me, and stayed 3 yrs 10 months). I said that if they ever had any more oldies or other dogs they could not home to let me know - meaning sometime in the future. They just pointed behind the reception desk.............. 2 dogs there, one Bud's size (the type of size I like) and one scrawny little terrier. Well, the scrawny little terrier (who the ladies there had a strong urge to bring to reception that day) was the one who had the spark, I took him out to meet the girls (Lucy Greyhound and Alice Terrier) and they liked him, so it was agreed that he would come to live with us. The ladies at DT kept saying "but you don't know his medical history" and I just said he would have it whether he was with me or with someone else, so it didn't really matter. (minimum of 10 yrs old - but probably a few more, only 3 teeth, cataracts starting, hunched back, deaf, grade 2 heart murmur and had been so ill since being in there he was knocking on heaven's door - to use their phrase). He had to have a vet check before he came home, so that would mean waiting until the Tuesday, but over the next couple of days his diahorrea came back with a vengance so he was not able to come home until Wednesday - but that is how Toastie entered our lives.

ToastieatReachthebeach.jpg

Edited by buddyboy

Well - talk about things happening at spooky times! Yesterday I received an email from Jane at the local Dogs Trust, she had been approached by the PR department at their Head Office, who had been approached by a journalist to nominate a successful rehome - and guess who she nominated!!!!

So this morning, on the anniversary of Toastie coming home I did a 10 minute interview over the phone and am currently waiting for my friend to come round and take a pic of Toastie and me together (did try to get out of that but she insists we both have to be in it). She asked for any words of wisdom I might have when it comes to rehoming so I did say "don't overlook the oldies, they have as much love to give".....

Think the magazine is due out in March??? Called Candis - apparently it is one delivered to the door, rather than being on sale in newsagents.