UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

M&s Insurance - New Condition In Policy

Nettie

I've just renewed Mollydog with Axa, and it was £60 cheaper than M&S. What's more, it was also cheaper than Tesco, (Az is with Tesco) for a better level of cover. Tesco were great last time I claimed from them, but if the Axa policy goes through with no problems I think I might swap him over as well.

As you have already made a claim, remember, if you change you will not have cover for any pre existing conditions.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, am only too aware of that - I foolishly switched Mollydog to M&S from the 6 week free Petplan policy she came with from the rescue: in the week intervening she developed a slight limp which we thought would soon go away: pre-existing condition I've been paying for ever since!

Fortunately Az's problem was a wound that has healed completely: it was just expensive because it was out of hours and difficult to stitch.

I had Mona insured with them last year because it was £10 with no excess. We didn't make any claims at all but they still doubled it at renewal time. So I moved her elsewhere. If I were still with M&S I'd join you all in writing. Sounds completely ridiculous. :angry:

Just gave them a ring myself and one thing that has really concerned me is that apparently they've increased the limit on complementary therapy to £1000 instead of £750 but they've put exclusions on hydrotherapy (which both my two have).

Basically they're excluding it for certain conditions - one of which is arthritis and that's what Ollie is swimming for. So basically they're saying that in May when his policy changes he wouldn't be covered to swim anymore :unsure: I don't understand how they can put exclusions on a policy that I already have and not cover him for something he's currently covered for :unsure:

Axa is £3 a month cheaper than my existing M&S policy :biggrin:

Because I'm not at home I haven't got access to my policy documents so can anyone tell me if I can just stop the M&S policy at anytime without penalty :unsure: I'm actually planning on switching on the 1st January.

Marion

Just gave them a ring myself and one thing that has really concerned me is that apparently they've increased the limit on complementary therapy to £1000 instead of £750 but they've put exclusions on hydrotherapy (which both my two have).

Basically they're excluding it for certain conditions - one of which is arthritis and that's what Ollie is swimming for. So basically they're saying that in May when his policy changes he wouldn't be covered to swim anymore :unsure: I don't understand how they can put exclusions on a policy that I already have and not cover him for something he's currently covered for :unsure:

May be worth asking them Jules how they are planning to deal with ongoing claims?

I suspect their get out clause is the fact it's an 'annual' policy, that they invite you to renew? :unsure:

Axa is £3 a month cheaper than my existing M&S policy :biggrin:

Because I'm not at home I haven't got access to my policy documents so can anyone tell me if I can just stop the M&S policy at anytime without penalty :unsure: I'm actually planning on switching on the 1st January.

Marion

As far as I can make out if you have paid the whole whack you wiil get a refund of money from the date your leaving, if you haven't made a claim, if you have made a claim you'll get nothing.

If your paying monthly then you can just cancel as long as you've made no claim, in which case you need to keep paying untill your renewal date, it says you have to cancel in writing but I never did, I just phoned them up and cancelled my DD with the bank

You can just cancel any time (as I did) if you pay monthly. I didn't even tell M&S, I just cancelled my direct debit and they then wrote to me telling me I had cancelled the policy :flowers:

Edited by madmerle

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone had any luck with M&S??

I have George and Charlie on the no excess one which is due to expire March next year so I am waiting for my problems! Though they have been outstanding at sending cheques for claims and I got all Georges money back for his cuts.

However I had the cats on the policy and then this month (renewal month) I noticed they have more than doubled to premiums for each cat make it a total of £45 for two cats a month!! I called up and was told that they had written to me and I had replied. They said the documents came back as return to sender. How does this mean a reply of acceptance on the policy??? Despite having changed my address 3 times they still had my old address but no one bothered to check my other policies!

How can they justify more than doubling their premiums and who can I complain to?? I cancelled my policy immediately but now i have two old cats sitting without insurance. Given they are rescues and I dont know their history I would like to be safe rather than sorry. But looking around most insurers for cats of 11 & 13yrs old still charge around £35 a month for two cats?!?

Any suggestions?

I received my renewal notice last week. I have never claimed and my dogs are 2 and 3 years old. The premium has increased by £2 per dog per month and my £0 excess is now a £70 excess. I tried an online quote for my two out of interest and it was £6 more than my renewal. I'm not sure whether I should stay with M&S or look elsewhere, the £70 excess is a bit steep. :unsure:

Sara

If you've never claimed, I'd get out now. They seem to use the excuse they have changed underwriters each time and all of us have had huge differences in our policies come renewal. I mean seriously doubling cats policy? I wonder what it means next time round?

What about going through AXA directly who previously underwrote the claims from M&S?

What about going through AXA directly who previously underwrote the claims from M&S?

If i remember rightly a few people have gone direct to Axa and got much better deals :flowers:

I did lots of research and went with Axa in the end. I have switched 7 out of my 9 onto Axa. Not only were they the cheapest I found, but the cover was comparable with M&S (unlike a lot of the companies I tried where not only was the cover crap but the prices were higher) :flowers: They also do a discount for more than one pet and if you ring their helpline you are immediately through to a real live person :ohmy: