UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Just To Into Myself

hethmar

Hi everyone, I live in Norfolk and have 2 rescues, a Parson Russell with 2.5 feet ( :unsure: ) and a little Border Terrier that I adopted through Rochdale Dog Rescue.

Just incase anybody remembers, the little Border Terrier is Diggs :wub:

DiggsPound.jpg

Heather followed his progress via. the site and adopted him from the receiving rescue :wink:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, many thanks for the welcome - lol, Diggs pic doesnt look like him now - I must put him on a diet!

All those intrigued by Ralph's disability - he was conceived by accident to an ex breeding bitch at a kennels. She was of mature years and only one baby developed - my Ralph. The pregnancy wasnt noticed til it was well under way and the breeder, who is a good guy (and had given up breeding/showing at Crufts) told the kennel maid to watch her closely while he was out and to call the vet if she started to whelp and seemed in distress. Unfortunately it appears the kennel maid was not that vigilant and found mum whelping an extremely large baby and during her difficult delivery she had chewed at his feet, I assume to try to deliver.

Owner arrived to see this carnage and called vet in - vet said to give pup a chance. We had lost our 16 year old Parson Russell a few weeks previously (yes, we had said "no more" - we couldnt take any more pain) so when we got a phone call about this boy "You are the only people I could think of who would take him on" we originally said we couldnt do it.

A week of nightmares - literally - and I phoned to see if anyone else had been found to adopt him. I was told they hadnt and that the vet would be coming the next day to "sort it all out". Well, I knew what that meant. Put down the phone, asked OH "What do we do?" OH sighed and said, "We drive 80 miles and pick up a disabled puppy" and thats the story guys. I rang the kennels and said cancel the vet and we got Ralph home.

He was a wonderful puppy, full of life and of course all puppies fall about. He manages very well on rough ground because he finds his own level - in fact when he chases rabbits you really couldnt tell he had anything wrong with him. But we had noticed that other dogs had begun to shun him/pick on him as they realised it was not puppy clumsiness but he was disabled. We were quite shocked (and upset) by this and as time went on and he so obviously craved friendship with other dogs but started to get nervous of approaching them, we decided a companion - in his own pack/home - would be a good idea - enter Diggs, the most brilliant dog we could have ever found for the position. We all love him to bits and the boys hit it off as soon as they met.

Oh Laura, not a poor little soul, he holds his own I can assure you.LOL I have just climbed over them as they tusselLed very loudly over one squeaky toy (out of at least a dozen thrown about) and Ralph wont give way to Digg's insistence - lol. Its lovely to see them cuddling up in front of the fire asleep together. I think we have been extremely lucky to have such a wonderful pair of dogs.