UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Gillian Gibbons

Lizzie

Again it depends on who interprets it, but I find it fascinating that the different religions can take basically the same instruction and adapt it into such wildly different viewpoints.

It's interesting that the height of the iconoclastic controversy in Byzantine Constantinople more or less overlaps with the early rise of Islam. I have wondered if there is some cross-fertilisation going on there somewhere.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it seems it was a fellow employee who "dobbed" her in anyway....

but http://uk.news.yahoo.com/pressass/20071129...ed-6323e80.html

the outcome could be worse, and I hope she is looked after well and returns to the UK safely!

I can't help thinking that people that teach in these circumstances remind me of the good ol' missionaries.....

Edited by murtle

and I hope she is looked after well and returns to the UK safely!

I hope so too.

I appreciate I am probably rather ignorant about the situation, but according to the BBC link: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7119399.stm

She was "accused on three counts of insulting religion, inciting hatred and showing contempt for religious beliefs."

I can understand that to some she has insulted their religion ... but inciting hatred and showing contempt for religious beliefs - from where I'm sat it's hard to get my head around that.

what religion were the children she was teaching ? I am presuming they are Muslim

if the children did not know it was wrong ( and clearly they didn't or they would not have suggested it ) then its pretty harsh to expect the Teacher to know it

So she gets deported and thats one less teacher helping those children , it may well put other volunteer teachers off traveling there and again the children miss out

longer term it may make other NGO's reassess if they want to send volunteers there

I heard on the radio today, that she actually wasn't sure it was a good decision and sent a letter to all th parents asking if that was ok.

So why be so hard on her, if she was in doubt anyway and asked parents for help.

It must be hard to understand for the children, especially as they suggested the name.

Common sense doesn't seem to come in here from any side. :(

what religion were the children she was teaching ? I am presuming they are Muslim

if the children did not know it was wrong ( and clearly they didn't or they would not have suggested it ) then its pretty harsh to expect the Teacher to know it

So she gets deported and thats one less teacher helping those children , it may well put other volunteer teachers off traveling there and again the children miss out

longer term it may make other NGO's reassess if they want to send volunteers there

Was she a volunteer? I thought she was a paid member of staff. Unity School is an independent school, so the pupils are children from reasonably prosperous families, I think. Here's what the prospectus says:

Unity High School is an independent, co-educational, multi-racial school that serves the needs of pupils from various backgrounds whose parents have chosen a British -style education for them. Founded in 1902, it has always, as its name implies, been open to pupils of all ethnic groups and all faiths.

The School broadly teaches the English National Curriculum (with the I.P.C. also in Lower School), with local modifications to cover Arabic language and Islamic and Christian Religious Studies, leading to IGCSE Examinations at Key Stage 4 (Average IGCSE results over the past three years: A*- C grade passes = 89%). Special Educational Needs are supported and there is an EFL department and Language Support in the Upper School.

The school roll of around 750 pupils is roughly evenly split between boys and girls and Lower and Upper School classes. Class sizes vary but are always less than 30, and much work is done in smaller groups. The School enjoys the highest reputation and admission is by competitive examination.

The School is administered by a Council whose members represent the different Christian denominations found in the city. The School is a non-profit making, charitable institution financed by school fees and donations.

even if she was a paid member of staff I am sure it will have a knock on effect for people wishing to take up paid positions there ( and I am sure they don't get paid anywhere near the levels they could get in the UK so its still a form of volunteering )

still think it will make NGOs reconsider sending people there and thats only going to be a bad thing

from The Scotsman...(that doesn't make it true, of course... :) )

UNITY is one of a number of British schools in Khartoum that cater for the children of well-heeled Sudanese professionals or expatriate oil and aid workers.

Its dusty brick and stone buildings, and Anglican roots, evoke the feeling of an old-fashioned English boarding school despite its Arab-style arches.

The headmaster's study is decorated with sepia photographs dating from the days when the children of Sudan's colonial masters would have studied Latin, algebra and trigonometry.

Today many of the school's teachers are exiles from the British education system, looking for adventure or better pay.

Miss Gibbons had spent her career working in primary schools in and around Liverpool as a supply teacher and then as a literacy adviser.

I'd imagine most teachers in ordinary schools in Sudan are poorly paid and there may be a fair bit of resentment towards 'outsiders', especially from those who are mindful of the old days and their 'colonial masters'. Like you, I'm sure there will be consequences of some sort. :(

I also think that we should be concerned about a nation which uses corporal punishment on its citizens as well as foreigners, but then, we're best friends with Saudi Arabia.

Ithink she was very silly and slightly niave but not wicked. She has insulted their religion so should be punished but it all seems to be OTT to me, I firmly believe that if you are in a country then you abide by its rules,be it law,religion,custom or whatever,and if you break the law then you should take the punishment. Just because she is British we should not all run to help her and she should be treated exactly the same as anyone else.I think if she is teaching in that country then she should have studied the laws and religion fully before she went there and this would not have happened. As I said very silly and unfortunate but I do not believe that she incited hatred or was showing contempt merely lack of learning! x

Im not ususally a controversial sort of person - I generally let things be...... but this I feel has insulted us as a nation.

We are a nation of people who accept different cultures - usually without question, we have to - there are many different cultures now living in our land. We have accepted the muslim way - theyhave their mosques, they are allowed to pray at lunchtime, have their mats out - do their fasting, even give their children days off from school when it is their religious days, we send aid to their countries.

In the past few years we have also accepted their speakers damning us from Hyde Park Corner - and we have accepted the muslim radicalists ( UK based) bombing, killing and maiming our fellow countrymen. Countless lives have been lost with 9/11 and July 7th. I dont mean just British citizens but visitors and immigrants from other countries.

This lady - has gone to the Sudan to teach.

Teaching to me is spreading education, whether it is for history, maths, geography or RE. She had the opportunity there with a class of children who will be the next generation to "lighten" religion, a name - a toy - children. A chance maybe that in 20 years time religion will not be a thing to be faught over - that we can accept that everyone has a God but he is called by a different name. Alahah, Mohammed, Messiah, Budah, Ganesh, Jesus, Holy Trinity whatever

We could say that the Americans could take umbridge as we now call all stuffed bears "Teddy" this from what I remember was from Teddy Roosevelt.

Our government should send whoever is necessary in there to get her out and withdraw aid to this country.

If this offends I am sorry - but this has riled me.

In this country MOST people accept others for what they are, what their beliefs and cultures are.

As Fugees we accept dogs for what they are - right or wrong.

I'm at a loss to all the religious fervour and demonstrations going on. :(

Can anyone please explain in simple terms why this happens? I don't care what religion anyone is, as I don't care for the dogma involved with it.

From what I understand, both Christian and Islaamic teachings believe in one God, the same God. True or false?

Both faiths preach peace and tolerance, as long as you worship the one God, all is well. Therefore it is the interpretation of those teachings by the holy men that is wrong, please correct me if I have over simplified things here.

This teacher is being villified for a mistake, one that could have been rectified before all the furore started. I still belive it is more political than religious.

The splintering of faiths by man has turned the world upside-down so many times and caused death and misery to millions over centuries.

Why do we continue to destroy in the name of God?

I'm at a loss to all the religious fervour and demonstrations going on. :(

Can anyone please explain in simple terms why this happens? I don't care what religion anyone is, as I don't care for the dogma involved with it.

From what I understand, both Christian and Islaamic teachings believe in one God, the same God. True or false?

Both faiths preach peace and tolerance, as long as you worship the one God, all is well. Therefore it is the interpretation of those teachings by the holy men that is wrong, please correct me if I have over simplified things here.

This teacher is being villified for a mistake, one that could have been rectified before all the furore started. I still belive it is more political than religious.

The splintering of faiths by man has turned the world upside-down so many times and caused death and misery to millions over centuries.

Why do we continue to destroy in the name of God?

Couldn't agree more!