UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Strawberry

Houndwoman

Our dear old boy Strawberry left us today at 12.15pm :mecry:

He was 41 and and had been in the family for 39 years. He had severe arthritis in his front legs and despite being on a double dose of pain relief he started to suffer and no more could be done for him :(

We have a lovely young lady vet who made sure his passing was gentle and easy. Dear Strawberry couldn't cope very well with intervention from people he wasn't familiar with and that goes back to his first 2 years of life when he was badly beaten and abused :angry: Our vet has such a lovely way about her he wasn't a bit bothered about her having to do what she did. She even bought an apple with her as a farewell gift to him :wub:

We loved him dearly as he trusted us and felt safe here and he was so sweet and gentle :wub:

Gallop free dear Strawberry in those lovely green fields where there is nothing to worry you and no more pain :wub:

This pic was taken in May of this year and his knees were just starting to trouble him but we were able to control his discomfort up until the last couple of weeks.

Strawberry.jpg

I am so sorry to hear this,

In my line of work in Rescue it kills me when a Horse has to be PTS.... It seems to be so much harder on our hearts when the animal is so big.

That was a great age and a great credit to you.

Run free Strawberry you are free of pain now and you can out run all those younger than you.

:GroupHug: to you Sheila.

I am so sorry to hear this,

In my line of work in Rescue it kills me when a Horse has to be PTS.... It seems to be so much harder on our hearts when the animal is so big.

That was a great age and a great credit to you.

Run free Strawberry you are free of pain now and you can out run all those younger than you.

:GroupHug: to you Sheila.

Thank you so much :wub:

Your'e right in saying how traumatic it is when horses are pts. I know most times that when other animals reach the end they usually lose their appetite and look very depressed. With horses as with Strawberry they quite often will eat right up to their last seconds and can still be very mentally 'with it'. Dear Strawbs was being hand fed brown bread(his favourite treat) by myself and OH. He was munching away just as he did other days when we took him his bread.

As you say their sheer size makes it so much more difficult and when they fall and hit the ground with their last breath leaving their body makes it so awful :(

Such nobility and dignity just gone in seconds :mecry:

• 2 weeks later...

You know, he was gone before he reached that ground, and you through your compassion and selflessness had allowed him to keep his nobility and dignity. It's the last gift you could give him after a lifetime of love. You should be proud that you did that for him. He's at peace and he'll always be in your hearts.