UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Harness Advice Please

sundaygirl

Can anyone advise me on a harness suitable for Meg the OES. I have been walking her on a harness for a while now, very basic but has helped with her pulling...she walks like a dream on the lead unless she is scared by loud voices, traffic etc then she pulls like a steam train to get away, the harness i have been using has been fine as it gives me a bit more control over her when she gets a fright....but...

Last night in the park, some young idiots started letting off bangers, Meg paniced and instead of running forwards as usual she backed out of her harness and bolted for home..luckily we were close to home anyway and she made it safely but god knows how much different it could have been had she had to cross a road :(

My problem is i need a harness that she cant back out of..is there such a thing? I have tried a gentle leader but that seems to panic her more, and i know i can get a double ended lead and attach one end to the harness and one to her collar in case it happens again but just wondered if there was a better harness that i could be using to save doing that....all suggestions welcome :) thanks

Edited by sundaygirl

I use the trail harnesses that TRPD make, they are very strong, comfortable for your dog and doesn't rub even sensitive dogs. They are difficult to get out of as well if adjusted properly and discourage pulling.

There are several members on here that are from TRPD. :flowers:

We got a halti harness...we don't need it any more so just use an ordinary collar and lead. It has a harness which goes round the body, but also something around the neck and you clip the harness to the ring in the collar....then you have a double ended lead, which clips to either just the harness, just the collar, or both. Its impossible to get out of....or at least our wriggly lurcher couldn't.

• 2 weeks later...

We have a Halti collar. The vet recommended it to help stop her pulling as it attaches to the face rather than the body.

It's fantastic, do make sure you get the right size though as if its too big they will be able to get it off. It does come with a clip to attach it to the collar as well though - just in case!