UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Buggering Bollox

Mommy Bear

Don't they just fix you every time !!!

Mungo has one undesended testicle. Vet will not operate until he has done more growing and/or started to c*** his leg. Fair enogh.

Called M&S Insurance today. Dog must have been under three months at inception of policy and under nine months at time of operation.

Mungo was three months old - just- when we got him and will be ten months on 1st October.

Goodby £415.83 (estimated total).

God know the little bugger is worth every penny but Insurance Companies - bunch of pirates.

And breath.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

F.F.S. I'm going to be in the same position as you then. One of Arran's testes has just dropped but there is no sign of the other one, I would have thought the vets would know better than an insurance company when and if dogs need an operation for undescended testes.

When I asked a vet about his testes the vet ( not our usual one ) said not to worry and that he could be at least a year before they showed.

Terri

F.F.S. I'm going to be in the same position as you then. One of Arran's testes has just dropped but there is no sign of the other one, I would have thought the vets would know better than an insurance company when and if dogs need an operation for undescended testes.

When I asked a vet about his testes the vet ( not our usual one ) said not to worry and that he could be at least a year before they showed.

Terri

I was told by various people to wait for a bit longer to see if Lennys dropped but they never did, he is 2 and a half now :( Still haven't had them removed yet because he is a very nervous dog and I don't want to make him worse. We were only quoted £250 for the operation and both of his nuts are retained. Mind you, he is only a small dog so I think thats why its cheaper? Our insurance company said they may pay for the operation but that was yonks ago so I don't think they will now.

I have noticed a lot of insurance companies now have it written into the small print that they don't cover for chryptorchidism. I thought m&s were one of them, but maybe thats new policies.

ETA. my vets also said they would not operate until he was 9 months

Edited by jezza

That is a LOT of money. The most I've paid (I've had 5 through here) is around the £200 mark.

I was told by various people to wait for a bit longer to see if Lennys dropped but they never did, he is 2 and a half now :( Still haven't had them removed yet because he is a very nervous dog and I don't want to make him worse.

If you have a crytporchid dog (with an undecended testicle) you need to get it removed urgently. You stand a higher risk of testicular cancer in Lenny. I'm amazed your vet hasn't insisted he is neutered by now.

Links for information:

http://www.upei.ca/~cidd/Diseases/urogenit...ptorchidism.htm

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cl...p;articleid=897

http://www.provet.co.uk/Petfacts/healthtip...ptorchidism.htm

My vet is concered about Mungo's growth being retarded and future problems caused by stopping hormones too early in his growth stage. She says he has some growing to do yet. He is the size of a skinny lab just now and weighs about at 26k at ten months. He seems predominately Collie but with possibly quite an assortment of lots more too.

I might just find out from other practices what they charge but we She has a lot of equipment on site for various tests X rays etc - maybe thats why she's expensive - lots of stuff to pay for.

Thanks for the links Claz

Edited by Mommy Bear

If you have a crytporchid dog (with an undecended testicle) you need to get it removed urgently. You stand a higher risk of testicular cancer in Lenny. I'm amazed your vet hasn't insisted he is neutered by now.

My vet is concered about Mungo's growth being retarded and future problems caused by stopping hormones too early in his growth stage. She says he has some growing to do yet. He is the size of a skinny lab just now and weighs about at 26k at ten months. He seems predominately Collie but with possibly quite an assortment of lots more too.

MB, my post was about Jezzas Lenny - I'd not worry about Mungo yet.

Lenny is 2.5 and will have finished growing; I've never seen any evidence that castrated dogs undergo negative personality changes - I'd certainly not risk testicular cancer based on a 'maybe' that he'd get more nervy.

Hi ClazUK,

It was actually my vet who recommended for me not to castrate him too soon as he is extremely nervous, he is also fear aggressive. I do fully intend to have him castrated but I just can't decide when. I have had so much conflicting advice about this subject now that I am more than confused :wacko: one group of people say do it urgently, another group are saying no way.

I have now found out about a study done in sweden (I think) into the incidence of testicular cancer in chryptorchid whippets, I've just got to get my hands on it. But I know it will be all statistics so it won't make the decision any easier.

I just wish now that I'd got him done when we first got him. I am in the process of changing vets at the moment anyway (for various reasons) and Lenny is due his jabs so I will ask the new vet their opinion - and probably get even more confused!

A quick question I've got to anyone - can the testicles be located by ultra sound (or some other method)?

OMG that is HUGE bill :ohmy: . When Bert was done, he had the self same problem, one down and one up, it cost us about £250 too and he's a big lab at 42kg. I'd question that estimate...or your vets if i were you.

Sorry though, it is a pain and not a nice thing t have to put yuor dogs through, although I must say Bert bounced back really quickly :GroupHug:

Edited by tegk68

Mungo has one undesended testicle. Vet will not operate until he has done more growing and/or started to c*** his leg. Fair enogh.

Called M&S Insurance today. Dog must have been under three months at inception of policy and under nine months at time of operation.

Mungo was three months old - just- when we got him and will be ten months on 1st October.

God know the little bugger is worth every penny but Insurance Companies - bunch of pirates.

And breath.

Dont they take account of the size/breed of dog? Everyone knows that bigger dogs mature much later than small dogs :rolleyes:

Hi ClazUK,

It was actually my vet who recommended for me not to castrate him too soon as he is extremely nervous, he is also fear aggressive. I do fully intend to have him castrated but I just can't decide when. I have had so much conflicting advice about this subject now that I am more than confused :wacko: one group of people say do it urgently, another group are saying no way.

I have now found out about a study done in sweden (I think) into the incidence of testicular cancer in chryptorchid whippets, I've just got to get my hands on it. But I know it will be all statistics so it won't make the decision any easier.

I just wish now that I'd got him done when we first got him. I am in the process of changing vets at the moment anyway (for various reasons) and Lenny is due his jabs so I will ask the new vet their opinion - and probably get even more confused!

A quick question I've got to anyone - can the testicles be located by ultra sound (or some other method)?

I have a fear aggressive dog that was neutered at 6 months and got worse. Having said that he was an immature collie pup (runt of the litter :rolleyes: ) and I should have waited for him to mature more mentally. I would think that at 2 and a half years old your dog has matured enough by now to get out of the puppy stage. In hindsight I would still have Neo done, but would have waited until he was 12 - 18months old. In your situation I think that the risk of cancer outweighs any other problems as he already has them anyway. You can treat his fear problems once you have sorted his neutering (if it escalates, which I doubt due to his age), but you might not get the chance to remedy the problems the other way round? :( Definately, speak to your new vet about it. :flowers:

And breath.

Dont they take account of the size/breed of dog? Everyone knows that bigger dogs mature much later than small dogs :rolleyes:

Hi ClazUK,

I have a fear aggressive dog that was neutered at 6 months and got worse. Having said that he was an immature collie pup (runt of the litter :rolleyes: ) and I should have waited for him to mature more mentally. I would think that at 2 and a half years old your dog has matured enough by now to get out of the puppy stage. In hindsight I would still have Neo done, but would have waited until he was 12 - 18months old. In your situation I think that the risk of cancer outweighs any other problems as he already has them anyway. You can treat his fear problems once you have sorted his neutering (if it escalates, which I doubt due to his age), but you might not get the chance to remedy the problems the other way round? :( Definately, speak to your new vet about it. :flowers:

Can a mod delete my multi post please :rolleyes: Had an IPS error and couldnt get out of it! :laugh:

I would argue with the insurance company and say you are going to the Ombudsman about it. Since when do insurance companies know more than blooming vets exactly. If your vet says he is too young then the insurance company should pay out. They are being naughty. Definitely pursue it and if you don't get anywhere start to make threats that you are going to shout this from the roof tops, take it to the papers etc etc. They may well back down. Could also say among the ranting that you will not be renewing your policy and may well cancel it on the face of this and see if that makes them back down too.

I've been looking at insurance policy leaflets lately that have turned up in magazines and junk mail etc. So far I haven't come across one that would have paid out for the full amount of Sheena's bill which came to £4,000. They are a bunch of flaming cowboys and if they can get out of paying they will. It's made me feel better in a strange way knowing that I would have had to find some money anyway.