UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Are You Reading At The Moment?

Rileyroo

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently reading 'Letters to Alice' by Fay Weldon and it's fab.

Have just read 'The Vanishing act of Esme Lennox' - also brilliant

Keep meaning to read Lady Chatterleys Lover, Jude the Obscure and The Portrait of Dorian Gray but only vecause I feel I should :rolleyes:

As for other stuff, I lent Ingipops The Testament of Gideon Mack' and I've not heard from her since :unsure: :unsure: (it is a bit odd)

Blue Shoes and happiness (no.7 in the No.1 Ladies Dective Agency Series) by Alexander McCall Smith. I love these. I just discovered them and am reading the whole series back to back :biggrin:

Fab aren't they?? His Scotland street series doesn't have the same effect but it's 'happy' reading - I have them if you would like to borrow them :flowers:

Fab aren't they?? His Scotland street series doesn't have the same effect but it's 'happy' reading - I have them if you would like to borrow them :flowers:

Thank you Riley, that's lovely of you. I must confess I have them already...I was worried about the end of my No.1 Detective Series and so ordered them in preparation :flowers:

I *love* Stephen King. Well. His older stuff. The newer stuff is just too gory for me to deal with :unsure: The Stand is my favouritest ever :biggrin:

Mine too :flowers: I'm trying to weed out my book collection in case we are moving house, but I'll not be parting with that, or Pet Sematary or the Richard Bachman book he wrote.

I'm not reading anything right now but I've stockpiled about 10 books (itching to read them) in readiness for my week's holiday :biggrin:

Currently stashed in various spots around the house:-

Jasper Fforde - Lost in a Good Book

Noel Streatfeild - Ballet Shoes

Elinor Brent Dyer - Highland Twins at the Chalet School

Kelley Armstrong - Broken

Various Agatha Raisins.

These are the ones i'm actually making an effort to 'read' all the way through. we're bookdealers: have around 8000 books of all shapes and sizes and subjects stashed in the house. I'm always getting sidelined!

I am reading 'The Songlines' by Bruce Chatwin. It's about aboriginal Australian myth and nomads and hunting and early man. Which makes it sound complicated, but it's a very readable book and full of ideas new to me that keep making my eyebrows leap into my hairline, and funny and sad and amazing anecdotes. If you fancy something a bit different it's brilliant in an off the wall kind of way.

Also it's old enough that there are copies on Ebay: I love buying books for 99p!

I read that when I was in school, for some special projekt or something, brill book!

At the moment reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee ,Don't shoot the Dog and Arctic wild. So far the first one is very good and informative and quite sad. Have only just started the other two, most of you will know don't shot anyway, and Arctic Wild has some very good reviews.

HAve just read Animals in Translation, animal behavior form an autistic perspective. Interesting in some areas disappointing in others and a bit misinformativce too, even though there are some very good ideas in it.

I have just finished 'The Road' by Cormac McCarthy. If you want to read a book this is brilliant, this is it. It isn't difficult to read, but it is desolate and chilling. Some event has happened in the past; you don't know exactly what it is but the earth is covered in ash, there are few living, food is becoming scarce, etc. A father, and the son he is trying hard to protect, are 'on the road', barely surviving. This is their story.

Not a comfortable read but it is certainly a book that will stay with you when the last page is read.

Though I love the older Stephen King books best I did think Cell was pretty good.

Have just finished Marley and Me and am now reading "Girls Night In", various short stories by authors such as Marian Keys, and um, other people whose names I have forgotten :mellow:

Currently stashed in various spots around the house:-

Noel Streatfeild - Ballet Shoes

Elinor Brent Dyer - Highland Twins at the Chalet School

Love Ballet Shoes, I dig that one out time and again.

AS for Chalet School, I have almost the entire collection (still trying to get the last few) and have an urge to start reading them again now :biggrin:

I read that when I was in school, for some special projekt or something, brill book!

At the moment reading Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee. So far the first one is very good and informative and quite sad.

'

Oh, I've read that a couple of times, it always makes me cry. You wouldn't think a history book could be so desperately sad.