UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Malcolm's Got A Growth On His Lip

BillyMalc

Lots of good thoughts to Malcolm (and you) :GroupHug:

Meg had a really swollen lip and gum a few weeks ago. I have no idea what caused it - possibly one of the other dogs bumped into her when they were playing or maybe she'd been stung, but I totally panicked. The vet gave her a steroid injection, which improved it within a few hours. Everything crossed it's nothing serious for Malcolm either :flowers:

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My MiL's dog had a huge growth on his mouth (though it didn't grow fast like the one you describe). That also turned out to be cancer, he had it removed and that was the end of it. He lived another 5 years or so afterwards and died of old age when he was about 15.

So even if it is the worst case scenario, it's not the end of the world. :flowers:

Good luck at the vets on Monday. I know it's easy to say & hard to do but try not to worry too much beforehand - it could just as easily be a minor thing as more serious. Have you tried / could you try bathing in something like salt water in the meantime to see if any infection / inflamation reduces?

Thank you for all your replies, really makes me feel better (Malcolm still seems as unaffected by it as ever). I've had another look and it's not a growth as such, it's rather that his lip has grown about 3 times its size, bit like you're describing Fee, so hopefully that's what it is.

He came trotting into the kitchen quite happily when he heard me opening the door, wanting to 'sniff the outdoors', so it's really only me that's affected :wacko:

Dogs eh, who'd have em!

I know it's a bit gross but can you show us a piccie of it. Sheena recently had a lump removed which did turn out to be cancerous but not the agressive sort so the vets aren't worried about her in the slightest. It was an actual lump though which she always had just under her nose. Well since we've had her anyway. It suddenly grew quickly. Funnily enough at the same time as her other one. So she got both sorted at the same time. Very kind of her. :laugh: It didn't bother Sheena either if I touched it and she can be a grumpy lady when being poked.

The good thing is you've noticed it early on whatever it is so all should be well.

If it is a swelling maybe he's had an insect bite, got a grass seed stuck, some kind of infection.

Anyways whatever it is will be thinking of you both. :GroupHug: Sending him lots of healing thoughts.

I hope it turns out to be something like a bite or sting :GroupHug:

Cass's face suddenly became swollen on one side a few weeks ago (not on her lip though, but one side of her face) - typically late Sat night - but I think it must have been either a bite or sting (although she didn't seem bothered by it) or a reaction to something she ate. A call to the emergency vet got her onto pirotin and we just watched her very closely for the next day or so and it went right back down thankfully. I hope it is something that "simple" for the lovely Malc :GroupHug:

Hope he's ok. Did 'nt notice anything on Saturday. Mind you you did'nt mention anything. Hope he is ok. He's my favourite oldie. :flowers:

Hiya, didn't say anything because he was enjoying himself and I just wanted to enjoy watching him rather than talking about his gammy lip, teeth and legs. Don't take it personally! :)

Just called the vet's, his dental has gone well and he's still sleepy but recovering fine. He's had 2 teeth pulled out, poor love so his mouth will be sore, poor love! I can go and pick him up after work - I've never wanted home time to roll on this badly!