UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Concerns Over Conditions In Rescues\boarding Kenels\other Establishments

Pingu

a current topic and one worth discussing IMO

if you have a concern about an establishment regarding the conditions etc then what should you do?

Post about it on an Internet forum or contact the RSPCA or local licencing authority etc?

personally I would contact the relevant authority (and have done in the past). All the discussions in the world on the Internet will make no difference whatsoever if the powers that be are not informed.

So if you had an experience with a borading kennel\vets\etc that made you concerned about the welfare of any animals there what would you do?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is hard sometimes getting something done. We came across a lady breeding rabbits for the pet shop trade We had been told that conditions were bad so we went for a look and to buy a rabbit. the rabbits she had were cover in mess the hatches filthy, Flies everywhere, one hutch had a doe and babies in it and a dead rabbit. It was horrendous. Over 30 logged calls to the R.S.P.C.A. were made and not one inspector went out to check them. We eventually went to enviromental health who went via the housing office route as it was a council property and that is the only way to get her to stop breeding was it was looked at as running a business from a council property and that isnt allowed.

The down side is the rabbits have gone and we don't know where to...........................yet :mecry: :mecry:

just to add.

I am aware that in one recent case the RSPCA were informed I am thinking in more general terms.

It is hard sometimes getting something done. We came across a lady breeding rabbits for the pet shop trade We had been told that conditions were bad so we went for a look and to buy a rabbit. the rabbits she had were cover in mess the hatches filthy, Flies everywhere, one hutch had a doe and babies in it and a dead rabbit. It was horrendous. Over 30 logged calls to the R.S.P.C.A. were made and not one inspector went out to check them. We eventually went to enviromental health who went via the housing office route as it was a council property and that is the only way to get her to stop breeding was it was looked at as running a business from a council property and that isnt allowed.

The down side is the rabbits have gone and we don't know where to...........................yet :mecry: :mecry:

sounds similar to sonmethingthat happened near us not that long ago.

I guess another aspect to this is "if the authorities are informed would you trust them to act properly?"

So if you had an experience with a borading kennel\vets\etc that made you concerned about the welfare of any animals there what would you do?

For what it is worth heres my take on it lol

First off call the relevant people. Would do that if i saw a dog in a home not being treated properly and no probs if its somewhere else. However, at the same time i know that in some cases where i think a dog is being mistreated, nothing will happen because it has say water and a shelter, even though it may be chained up 24 hrs a day. To me unacceptable but nothing can be done.

That leaves me with a few choices , break the law and remove dog myself (not advisable its illegal you know :wink: )

Moan till everyone is bored with me (for a change lol )

Or i could do something to get the law changed if it means that much to me. For i.e animal welfare law and duty of care makes some improvements afaik.

It is a fact that many places are not great, puppy farms ect are often hell on earth. But we have a choice, either we can keep moaning or get off our backsides and do summit productive. Bit like BSL, Dont like the law, try and get it changed. Dont know if you dont try, but if you dont try you wont ever get anywhere.

I would not waste time posting it all over a forum, but keep pestering the correct authorities for answers as to why there is nothing being done.

If I had "hyperthetically here" placed a foster in a forever home then did follow up. If I wasn't happy then there is no question, I would remove said doglet there and then.

Over the years my shoulders have broadened. I guess they have to sometimes. The animals can't speak for themselves, so we have to speak for them. :flowers:

Kazz xx

with the introduction of the animal welfare bill the playing field has chanegd somewhat nowadays - or should have.

I thought very hard about this thread, and how it might look, but its currently topical and did get me thinking.

As people do we have a moral obligation to mention to the RSPCA, dog warden, environmental health etc when\if we see something that casues us concern about the welfare of an animal? Or do we just think that we are an isolated incident and dont want to rock the boat\cause trouble etc?

IMO there is no really correct anbswer to this and it will vary dependant upon peoples personal experiences and take on life.

As people do we have a moral obligation to mention to the RSPCA, dog warden, environmental health etc when\if we see something that casues us concern about the welfare of an animal? Or do we just think that we are an isolated incident and dont want to rock the boat\cause trouble etc?

We have to report it imho. Not to do so is wrong. As kazz said dogs cant speak so we need to. Isolated incidents if left, can spiral. But if dealt with then often can be corrected without further problems. One thing that does worry me is that rescue people often get regarded by non dog people as a bunch of rescue nuts :rolleyes: if not handeled properly i think it could be damaging all round.

I think it boils down to that folk working or helping in rescue circles recieve so many complaints from people who have tried the first avenue of the R.S.P.C.A and see nothing is being done end up being frustrated. The animal welfare bill doesnt seem to have gone far enough. The people put in charge ie R.S.P.C.A need more government money or spend some of the savings they have to train up many more inspectors and have a great deal more powers to act

Edited by Red Rotties

If it were me, I'd contact the relevant people and complain. I'd follow them up on it as well.

Rescues having a go at other rescues does not make them look good. If anything it would make me, if I were looking for a dog, not want to go to either rescue. It doesnt make them look big and it doesnt make them look good - just buillies.

In regards to animals dying and being mistreated, then yes you should report them. But bringing personal problems and stuff is out of order.

If you know there is a problem report it, don't deal with the people and pretend there isn't one. I also feel if there is a personal involvement try to make a difference don't just bleat about it, but at some point you have to pull away when you can't see a change happening. I have been very saddened at people who turn a blind eye, even when they have tried to change things and make a difference and no difference is occuring. You can't keep hanging on, it's the dogs who are suffering. This could be because rescues have taken on too much, or that they are dog dealers.

I do however have very little faith in RSPCA etc in bringing about any changes, due to there hands being tied by legislation.

Also prepare yourself for a rocky ride as speaking out will inevitably make you unpopular, especially whe the rescue has a group of people around who are happy to attack you. Having been there and been vindicated its still not a nice feeling.

I do have to say though that I feel very uncomfortable being on a board where someone is advertising dogs who is alledgedley a dog dealer. It has made me question wether I wish to continue posting here as IMHO it taints.

report them, keep reporting them, and keep following up with the authorities - dog warden, RSPCA, environmental health etc.

Have been reporting some kn*bhead who lets his dog wander as soon as he gets home and it goes across a very busy road with a blind bend and cars parked all up it too.

there have been several near misses, he has now had his final warning as the dog in question is a gentle old boy BC x that is too friendly, he has walked stright out into traffic at the sight of me and my dogs to get accross to us.

I was onto the dog warden every day, tried the RSPCA but there were not interested, in spite of the obvious danger to an animal

Also I asked all the dog walking people i know to report the said di*khead as well, the more reports the more they have to act on.

I beleive there is no such thing as an isolated incident, people that mistreat animals will have done so in the past and will continue to do so in the future - if we all shout loud enough in the right direction we will be heard.

If I knew from first hand experience that somewhere was bad I'd report to the RSPCA, Local council, Dog wardens etc etc. I would not be anonymous either and I'd be constantly ringing for an outcome.

What I would not do [though have in the past] is take other peoples word as gospel. If I didn't have first hand experience I'd make sure I visited and saw for myself. THEN I'd report.

If the authorities came back and said they were happy with conditions, I dont see what else you could do really.

I would report it to the relevant authorities but I'm afraid I have very little faith in them to do anything. I have complained about businesses and charities in the past and nothing has changed.

I think somewhere in between. No-one is perfect and even the best rescues make slip ups now and then. I think you can probably judge from the slip up and its repercussions whether it is likely to reoccur and if it represents a bad attitude or was a genuine one off mistake.

I do have to say though that I feel very uncomfortable being on a board where someone is advertising dogs who is alledgedley a dog dealer. It has made me question wether I wish to continue posting here as IMHO it taints.

I can honestly say I am impartial on this case as I have no knowledge of the organisation concerned either way. But I do think the keyword is allegedly. And as Pingu's announcement says independent organisations have checked it out (people whose knowledge and impartiality I have far more faith in than those slinging the mud). And one of the nicest things about The Refuge is it says "we're a forum, not the rescue police, make up your own minds", rather than trying to rule the world.

I think somewhere in between. No-one is perfect and even the best rescues make slip ups now and then. I think you can probably judge from the slip up and its repercussions whether it is likely to reoccur and if it represents a bad attitude or was a genuine one off mistake.

I'm glad you said that. My only real experience with animal care is with my own pets, so I'm really not sure what is and isn't acceptable from a rescue or a boarding kennels.

I've had a few dodgy experiences, but on the whole have believed that the organisations have been doing their best but are run by human beings, so I've tended to make my comments directly to the organisation, if anything, so they know someone has noticed and can fix it. If I had encountered what was clearly serious abuse rather than minor slipups, I'd contact the authorities, but fortunately I've never encountered anything that clear-cut.

I do worry that I might not make the right decision, as I don't have a lot of experience in this area and there are borderline situations. For example, like Laurel n Hardy's area, our village has an occasionally roaming collie: unlike in his situation, there are no busy roads, and the dog has traffic sense and doesn't approach on-lead dogs. I've taken her home before now, and the problem is that she is afraid of the noise that the quarry makes when they are blasting and runs off from her house (where they typically live with doors and windows open and dog wandering in and out). This doesn't happen often. She seems otherwise healthy, though she could be better groomed, so I decided that things could be worse, and didn't make a fuss.