UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Far Do You Go......?

dirtychicken

How Far Do You/Would You Go For Poo?  

66 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is just my curiosity and guilty conscience forcing this poll :rolleyes:

This particular instance though has been bothering me for the last 2 days :blush: We went to the beach 2 days ago and Bear wandered out into the sea until it reached his chest (probably about my knee height) and then did a poo :rolleyes: Now, had the tide been coming in I would have walked back along that stretch and attempted to pick the poo up, but the tide was going out and, although it turned my stomach to think that he had managed to add raw sewage to the sea, I wasn't prepared to wade out that far to chase a couple of turds.

I try whenever I possibly can to pick up my dogs' poo although there have been occasions when I have left them. Bear has a penchant for pooing up things/in things so I figure that if I can't reach a poo from the middle of a bramble bush or nettle patch then chances are nobody is going to wander along and step in it either. But is that what being a responsible dog owner is about? Is it just keeping the walkways clear for everybody else or is it more of a hygiene issue? Surely if it was *just* about hygiene then less people would be picking up given the amount of litter, etc left lying around?

Are there places where it's ok to not pick up?

I'm not giving the spanish inquisition - honestly - I just am curious about other people's opinions and trying to salve my conscience a little :rolleyes: Nobody is going to be "right" or "wrong" :flowers:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I pick up pooh from most places, especially when it's on footpaths. Don't think I'd try to pick it up had one of mine managed to do it in the sea :wacko: :wacko: (strange dog :laugh: :laugh: ) On farmland if they pooh miles away from the footpath I leave it, I think it's better of left than been put in the plastic bag and placed in a bin. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Duncan has a tendency to poo in hard to reach areas - ie nettle patches and I'm not going in there to pick up - as muckyhen says it's unlikely someone else will walk there either.I don't pick up when I'm on Exmoor and some areas of the Quantocks.I'm up there for 4-5 hours or more and I'm not carrying around a poo bag that long.It incenses me when I see poo bag left in these beautiful areas,what is the point of picking up then leaving a plastic bag to spoil the land.I do kick/flick it away if it's on a footpath.

Edited by zico's mum

I suppose I'm lucky - niether of mine have had any kind of tendancies to poo in any out of reach areas, and I try very very hard to pick up anything they produce, where ever we are, especially the beach because to me it's the equivalent of a playground or somebody elses back garden - however, going out to sea to do it would probably have me waiting on the beach for it to wash ashore....

Living in town there are rarely times when I can get away with not scooping sadly. My old collie Toby did like to poo in stingy nettle and brambles though. He would literally reverse his bum into a bush - most considerate. So I didn't tend to pick those up. I don't think I would have tried to pick one up which was in the sea either - I'm sure there are worse things in there (fish poo too!!) and it's not like anyone is going to tread in it.

The more difficult choices to me are the loose ones. What lengths do you go to to try and get all of it up??

Mishka always poos in the middle of the path, so I pick it up.

The boys are more sensible and go to very overgrown areas, i usually leave it there as I think it is easier to degrade there than been put in a plastic bag and stay on the dump for ages.

Larkin hardly ver poos on walks as he is too busy chasing the ball or waiting for it to be thrown, even when I don't have one with me.... :wacko:

So he uses the garden

I pick up if I walk where other people go. I don't pick up along our paddocks (there are bushes), or in the woods (my dogs go to the side, not on paths, and I kick it, or cover with dirt. There are no bins in the woods). I DO pick up on the beach, because lots of children play there, and mine don't poo in the actual sea lol (some of you have strange dogs :happy: )

My old collie Toby did like to poo in stingy nettle and brambles though. He would literally reverse his bum into a bush - most considerate.

Must be something about collies called Toby - Bear used to be Toby before he came to me :rolleyes: And he does the reversing thing too - it can be quite frustrating to find a poo stuck in a bush at child's eye height :angry: :blush:

I forgot to do a specific question about the sloppy/runny ones too. What *can* you do about them other than try to scoop them up as best you can with a bag? :unsure: It always make me feel bad to leave what can amount to a fair amount of poo smeared in the grass/on the path.

On farmland if they pooh miles away from the footpath I leave it, I think it's better of left than been put in the plastic bag and placed in a bin. :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well, firstly your dog shouldn't even be miles away from footpath :unsure: and secondly when I cut my fields for hay it isn't very nice to have dog poo in the hay nets mid winter. A big bale of silage would be ruined by dog poo.

Dog poo is nothing like sheep/cow/horse poo :unsure:

I am with Zico's Mum on moorland - I don't tend to pick up if I am out on Dartmoor or Bodmin moor, unless in a carpark or right next to a popular tourist spot or somewhere like that. It's such a huge area, and poo vanishes incredibly fast out there, the whole place is geared up to vanishing poo!

In most of the places I walk regularly, I am able to dig a shallow hole in leaf litter and bury it, sometimes with a stone on the top. I think that is the most environmentally friendly option, and there is no risk that someone's going to walk in it that way. I carry paper and card poobags which biodegrade very quickly, which means that I can move poos to a secret location :ninja: . Obviously not suitable for a town or a busy popular area, but then in those sorts of places you get poo bins.

I am fussy about always cleaning up at the beach, even in the dunes - though I can see if the dog has actually pooed into the water there isn't a lot you can do! I think people should be able to make sandcastles and bury each other on the beach without the risk of encountering hidden turds.

Although I can see that it is better to leave it in a bush, I would rather bury it properly if I can possibly reach the damn thing. A friend of mine does live roleplaying, and on one occasion was 'killed' and rolled under a bush into a dog turd which got into his lovely chain mail armour and was a git to clean: since then, I've been extra careful about making sure that I never leave poo where it could get onto people, even if they are behaving in a rather odd manner. Or dog feet.

The burial technique also works for runny ones : scrape up what you can (the cardboard rims on my poobags help!) and then stick some gravel or leaves or something over what's left. On a couple of occasions I've actually asked if I could have a bucket of water from a neighbouring garden owner, if I've been embarrassed by one of the hounds in a particularly un-clean-upable manner.

Forgot to say: I always clean up in a field, though in fact I do have permission to use one set of fields from a bloke who has said he doesn't mind, I just don't like to leave it there. You never know when someone is going to mow it or put animals in there or suddenly decide to replace all the fencing or whatever, and as he's let me use the fields, I don't want him having cause to regret that.

Edited by cycas

Well, firstly your dog shouldn't even be miles away from footpath :unsure: and secondly when I cut my fields for hay it isn't very nice to have dog poo in the hay nets mid winter. A big bale of silage would be ruined by dog poo.

Dog poo is nothing like sheep/cow/horse poo :unsure:

I should of added that the farmland I take the dogs on is not used for anything, no crops are grow or is it used for hay making, also there are no animals grazing :flowers: If we go on farmland that as crops etc or animals grazing the dogs are kept on leads and pooh is picked up. :)

I tried to vote but got an error message. I went for will pick up whenever I possibly can. There have been a few occasions when it was impossible to do this. In the dark for instance one of them has squatted in a bush and I just couldn't find it. I've ended up covered in the awful stuff no end of times. Have even managed to flick it in my face before today. If they're sloppy it is nigh impossible to get it all but will try and pick up as much as possible. Doesn't matter where I am. Whether in built up areas or out in the wilds with no-one about. I always pick up.

I should of added that the farmland I take the dogs on is not used for anything, no crops are grow or is it used for hay making, also there are no animals grazing :flowers: If we go on farmland that as crops etc or animals grazing the dogs are kept on leads and pooh is picked up. :)

Is it not even cut once a year? Long grass cut once a year is a "crop" if it is collected.