UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pet Insurance Recommendations Please

merledogs

Have just had my renewal through from M&S for Max and not only have they put the price up by 25%, but the 'no excess' bit has been removed as well. I rang them to check and the guy I spoke to said that they are doing away with it and any policies up for renewal will have the 'no excess' clause removed :angry:

As this is the main reason I was with M&S, I am now intending to move all my animals away from them as their policies come up for renewal.

So, does anyone have any recommendations? I have got a quote so far from Sainsbury's which seemed quite good, but am going to do some shopping round on prices and cover, but I would be interested in leaning of others' experiences with different companies in terms of how easy it is to claim, what the customer service, etc is like :flowers:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ice was insured with direct line. I had the advanced policy. He had £2500 in vet bills in 6 months. :ohmy: The excess was £65 per condition but it was only ever paid once, no matter how long the claim went on for. They paid the vet direct and payments were always done withinin 2-3 weeks. They were always helpful if i ever rang with queries. I used to ring for a claim form and it was here with 2 days. He was covered for £6000 per condition. Only thing is they don't insure dogs over 8 so, i would presume cover would stop when the dogs reached 8. Max the oldie i had was insured with more than. The excess on that was i *think* 10 per cent of the claim. They were the only ones i could find that would insure a 9 year old dog. :flowers:

Edited by tracey.s

Have just had my renewal through from M&S for Max and not only have they put the price up by 25%, but the 'no excess' bit has been removed as well. I rang them to check and the guy I spoke to said that they are doing away with it and any policies up for renewal will have the 'no excess' clause removed :angry:

I noticed this on my renewal for Sno too but when I phoned and queried it, they pointed out the no excess bit was still valid on his policy, just not for new policies. I'm confused :wacko:

Tracey, I don't think the fact a company won't take on a dog older than 8 means they will stop insuring existing dogs once they reach 9, although of course some might, so check individual companies. There are various companies that will insure a dog past 8 as long as it was registered with them before that age, but they do tend to charge a % of the bill when the dog gets older etc., along with the excess.

Ange I have just rung back to double check and it has been confirmed - any policies (existing or new) which begin from August onwards (including renewals) will have the nil excess clause removed. This is apparently because Axa, who underwrite the policies, are having too many claims :rolleyes:

So far I am veering towards Sainsbury's, so if anybody has any experience with them, do please let me know :flowers:

You're right Alex - I've just phoned them to check too :angry:

I'm so annoyed by it as that's the only reason I took out the policy and apparently they're not even planning to write to people about it so the first I would have known about it would be when my policy was up for renewal :angry:

Both Ollie & Jess have pre-existing conditions now too so I can't even switch them :angry:

In terms of cover and price, Sainsbury's is the best I have found by far.

Their cover is comparable (and better in some areas) to M&S and the price is a lot cheaper. You can also pay monthly, interest free :flowers:

I have checked Direct Line, Churchill, Tesco, More Than, Virgin and Argos so far :flowers:

Edited by madmerle

I noticed this on my renewal for Sno too but when I phoned and queried it, they pointed out the no excess bit was still valid on his policy, just not for new policies. I'm confused :wacko:

Tracey, I don't think the fact a company won't take on a dog older than 8 means they will stop insuring existing dogs once they reach 9, although of course some might, so check individual companies. There are various companies that will insure a dog past 8 as long as it was registered with them before that age, but they do tend to charge a % of the bill when the dog gets older etc., along with the excess.

I checked for Ice when max was here. They said once he reached 9 they wouldn't insure him anymore. :angry: Enen though he was insured with them from 9 months of age. We would have been up the proverbial creek. His conditions would have been pre existing and we wouldn't have got insurance to cover what was actually wrong with him. I wasn't impressed with that.

Just left M&S today after receiving a renewal notice in the post this morning. Mona has made no claims on her policy whatsoever, yet they have doubled it from £10 a month to £21, and yes they have done away with the no excess.

I've moved her back to Pet Plan because our other two are there and we can get multipet discount etc.

Edited by Abigailj

With tesco I was paying £32 for the 2 dogs with £60 excess.

Ive just changed to halifax, which is £34 for the 3 dogs, Shadow is 9, and Lissie is blind, but a good price. That is £50 excess, and up to £1000 a year claim, which I hope is enough for us.