UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Egg Advert Banned

kimthecat

I was speaking to Lisa about this yesterday and she made a really valid point. What about the cereal adverts that tell you to eat their cereal for breakfast and dinner every day for 2 weeks to lose weight? Hardly a varied diet, but THAT got through. It's all a load of b*ll*cks if you ask me.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can cook so many different things with eggs, and one egg is so small. I seriously doubt whether there is any really good scientific evidence that eating one egg every day is genuinely bad for you, given that nutrition is a field where there are few really fixed agreed facts.

The reason this annoys me is that it's pseudoscientific as well as bossy. I am very doubtful whether this decision was made by a group of trained nutritionists: I reckon it was made by marketing people with a list of tickboxes.

Someone puts out an ad encouraging people to jump off tall buildings, no problem with banning that. Eggs, not so much.

... talking of inaccurate advertising, I have been carefully watching KathyM's icon and I reckon at least one of her llamas is an alpaca! :ohmy:

:laugh:

I was speaking to Lisa about this yesterday and she made a really valid point. What about the cereal adverts that tell you to eat their cereal for breakfast and dinner every day for 2 weeks to lose weight? Hardly a varied diet, but THAT got through. It's all a load of b*ll*cks if you ask me.

I was thinking about this too. I think the difference is they are not telling us that a bowl/bowls of cereal per day are good for us. They are just saying it can help weight loss. I guess that based on a 2000 calorie diet, if someone ate a bowl of cereal in place of 2 meals then their intake would be less that normal.

I don't think they are making the same kind of claim as the egg people.

The government's own nutritionist, the one who advises 5 portions of fruit/veg per day etc., when asked by the press during this recent nonsense said that the recommended amount of eggs to eat per week is 11.

Edited to say that I get my organic eggs (nearly all double yolkers as it happens) from a friend and I eat at least 8-10 per week and I'm the healthiest person I know

Edited by Alison

The Food Standards Agency says there is no limit on eggs :flowers:

It also states :

Eggs and cholesterol

Eggs contain cholesterol and high cholesterol levels in our blood increases our risk of heart disease.

However, the cholesterol we get from our food - and this includes eggs - has less effect on the amount of cholesterol in our blood than the amount of saturated fat we eat. So, if you are eating a balanced diet you only need to cut down on eggs if you have been told to do so by your GP or dietitian. If your GP has told you to watch your cholesterol levels, your priority should be cutting down on saturated fats.

• 5 weeks later...
My Mum would say they 'bind you up' :wacko:

I don't know where she gets this sort of information from... :unsure:

Ooh yes my mum used to say that too! though I thought being eggbound was something that happened to chickens :glare:

How ludicrous!

Alot of body builders drink egg whites due to the protein in them.

Indeed they do, more than one a day too. When I was training properly [unlike now where I'm a flabby lardarse] I used to have 6 eggs in a protein drink 4 times per week [and it was vile! lol]