UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Egg Advert Banned

kimthecat

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say, having a boiled egg is one of my fave things for brekkie. I feel like it fills me up more than weetabix and means I'm not diving for my lunch at 11am. Think the ruling on the ad is ludicrous, compared to what adverts are shown about other foodstuffs (human and animal!)

Not quite sure how you can compare eating an egg a day with chocolate cake!!! :wacko:

I'm not really, I was just using that as an example. Maybe it's a vegan thing but I really object to the adverts promoting meat, eggs and dairy as wonderful things. They are funded by people who make their living from these things so utterly biased and to me they're just twisted propaganda. They don't offer a balanced view of whether the food is actually good for you or not and present themselves as public information films rather than any other advert and people are clearly swayed by them or they wouldn't be spending £12 million on the campaign!

If someone is advertising anything else eg a diet drink, they have to put a disclaimer on it saying "As part of a calorie controlled diet" or some such. They don't get to just suggest that consuming their product every day for breakfast is good for you.

Erm you might not, but I would :biggrin:

Then there were three.

I can't see that either an egg or a piece of cake each day will harm you. If you are eating & exercising appropriately to each other I don't think a little bit of what you fancy ever did anyone any harm.

If you believed every health sacre there has been over the years we'd probably all have starved by now.

I don't get how eating egg/s every day will mean you don't have a varied diet? You could have one boiled for brekkie one day with toast (and marmite, yum), then the next you could have it for supper, baked in peppers and tomatoes. Eggs are in a lot of foods, eaten in different ways, etc.

Most of us eat bread or cereals every day, and you don't see them banning the Warburtons ads, or those flipping irritating Crunchy Nutters ones. I would think cornflakes caked in honey and nuts would be far more unhealthy (oh God, but gorgeous).

I see far worse advertising every day on the telly, it's utter madness. Eating an egg a day doesn't make your diet unvaried - not unless you *only* eat eggs, in which case warn me and I'll steer clear of your slipstream. :mellow:

The fact that the egg advertisers offered to compromise with the disclaimer and were turned down just shows how crackers the decision is.

Load of b**locks. I sometimes eat 7 eggs a week depending on my mood (go on, how many of you thought I was going to say a day?!) I love them and find it dreadful the way we live is being dictated to us more and more. If we listened everytime a 'scare' came about, we would be living on horse manure or something. They could have altered it slightly to make it more in accordance with the 'with part of a controlled balanced diet' thing but in the end, I would rather people were eating an egg for breakfast every morning than the sugary cereals out there, or nothing, or muffins or something. there is a huge difference between chocolate cake and eggs too (chocolate cake for one is particularly good with custard. Eggs not so much) for example and even a slice of cake a day is not going to hurt anyone if they are doing it all in balance. I see it as no different to advertising Ribena (not as healthy as they make out) or any of the stuff they advertise. As I said, better an egg in the morning than a lot of the sh*t we could eat. Now, I wonder if my 7 egg omlette is ready. ;)

How ludicrous!

Yes eggs are bad for you if you eat too many, but one a day is nothing. The reason they say they are bad for you is because the yolk part is very high in fat, BUT The white of the egg is full of protein and is very good for you. Alot of body builders drink egg whites due to the protein in them.

That's so daft!

You could have scrambled egg for breakfast, then the next day have a pasta dish with egg in then the next day have lemon surprise pudding (with shock horror three eggs).

I have actually started keeping chickens to ensure a supply of good quality healthy eggs and chicken meat - perhaps an egg a day from battery farms is bad for you...morally anyway :wink: !

Caz

Edited by Caz

I actually agree with the decision :unsure:

The advert is encouraging you to eat an egg every day, which would be bad for you. No-one is saying eggs are all bad, just that eating one every day is. If the National Chocolate Cake Association wanted to issue an ad encouraging you to eat a slice of chocolate cake every day then we wouldn't support that would we?

I don't think it's a case of being nannied or told what we should and shouldn't eat, more protecting us from people making false claims abaout products they are advertising.

I agree.