UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

To Those Involved In Rescue

Riciamarn

Perhaps I am wrong, but my understanding of dog rescue is that it's not only the right home that matters, but also the right dog for that home.

If someone does a homecheck for you & there is nothing wrong with home, but the home checker feels that the dog in question is not right for that home, do you still allow the people to have that dog?

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Absolutely. I liken it to Dateline. It has to be the right match for both parties. I will choose a dog (or dogs) for the interested parties and expect them to be guided by my knowledge of the dogs we have in.

The phone calls that start with "I want a blue bitch" always make me baulk because you invariably find out they need (for example) a childsafe dog that can be left for 4 hours. Does it really matter what colour it is if it's perfect in every other way? :unsure:

Absolutely. I liken it to Dateline. It has to be the right match for both parties. I will choose a dog (or dogs) for the interested parties and expect them to be guided by my knowledge of the dogs we have in.

The phone calls that start with "I want a blue bitch" always make me baulk because you invariably find out they need (for example) a childsafe dog that can be left for 4 hours. Does it really matter what colour it is if it's perfect in every other way? :unsure:

wot she said so eloquently :biggrin:

Who am I to argue? If it wasn't for Mrs Ook pointing me firmly in the direction of Willow (and the Refuge), I'd possibly still be looking (I'll just firmly overlook the bit about him being quiet and gentle)

:biglaugh:

Who am I to argue? If it wasn't for Mrs Ook pointing me firmly in the direction of Willow (and the Refuge), I'd possibly still be looking (I'll just firmly overlook the bit about him being quiet and gentle)

:biglaugh:

Ditto - Sort of - If it was not for MY Willow being considered more suitable for our home than our original selection her Irish eyes would still have been doing anything other than smiling somewhere else.

The responsibility of the homechecker must always be to ensure that the complete package is "right" - Home, Garden, Human and other occupants, Local environment etc etc.

Agree 100% with all thats being said, however, the ultimate decision is not usually with the homechecker but the rescue, although the rescue should, of course, value the opinions of the homechecker.

At our centre, the match is made before homecheck stage anyway, though if a homecheck threw up some additional information or concerns then it would be looked into.

totally agree, it might be a great home for one dog but not suitable for another. Each dog has to be matched carefully to the right people or neither will be happy and the dog will "bounce". I homechecked 5 people before i found the right one for Ruby.x

I give great weight to the gut feeling of the HCer. If the home is all nice etc but the CHer has a bad feeling then I'll explore that before I make a decision. The welfare of my dogs always comes first and I had to hurt feeling on more than one occasion because of it. It's tough but can't be changed.

If the home checker was adamant that this home was TOTALLY unsuitable then we would be guided by them but if they just say Um not sure if this dog is right for them then we would do our own investigation and make a decision :mad: after all we run the rescue so we have the right to go the way we think fit :wink: of course sometimes rescues do get things wrong and I'm sure we have all had animals bounce back but Hey nobodies perfect :D

Edited by Pouchie

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: That is just so true! I was trying to explain recently to a distraught owner who had to rehome their beloved Bengal that their cat would be perfectly safe coming into Bengal Cat Rescue because we operate by trying to fit the right cat into the right home - that effectively we're a dating agency for cats :rolleyes:

Edited by Katiebob