UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

To Those Involved In Rescue

Riciamarn

Big problem is though that often the homechecker hasn't met the dog, so in all honesty how would they know ?

By talking to someone who does know the dog :) When I've done homechecks I've always found out as much as I can about the dog/cat in question beforehand.

However, on a couple of occasions I have told the rescue I was homechecking for that I didn't think that particular home was suitable and they rehomed the dog there anyway, which did make me wonder what the point was.

Edited by madmerle

The dog being suitable for that home and that family is more important then the height of the fences!!!! We have turned down people for a paricular dog and tried to steer them to a much more suitable dog. 8/10 times they are glad you did.......the other two-well-they hang up on you after shouting at you and then go and get an unsuitable dog else were.......

We try and find out if they are compatiable with the dog they call about before we move to homecheck-but if the get thru the call..we have a pretty good homecheck procedure and we do go on "gut instinct" as well. I know I do end up fairly often telling people-"I don't think this dog is really what you are looking for-HOWEVER-have you seen "insert dogs name"?

However, on a couple of occasions I have told the rescue I was homechecking for that I didn't think that particular home was suitable and they rehomed the dog there anyway, which did make me wonder what the point was.
This is the reason I asked the question.

Last year I did a homecheck & felt that the dog in question was not right for this family, I told the rescue & explained the reasoning behind it. Despite this I was told "She's going to get a dog anyway, so it might as well be from us" & the dog was rehomed there.

The dog has since come back into rescue & whilst I don't think the family are entirely blameless, if the rescue had taken more notice of what I had said, the hopefuly this situation would not have happened.

I realise that the rescue makes the ultimate decision, but I thought they would be guided by what the homechecker told them. I also realise no one can get it right all the time, but I do think this situation could have been avoided.

It's hard for us to really answer without all of the facts. It depends on the reasons you were uncomfortable with the family having the dog. In some circumstances the rescue will discuss a particular issue with a family to try to resolve a situation. If you have however said the family were wholly unsuitable or you had a gut instinct but couldn't put your finger on it then said rescue should have taken on board what you said. We all know people will just go elsewhere if we turn them down but most of us want the best for our dogs so if there is any doubt then they just don't get one.

wot she said so eloquently :biggrin:

Snap, I home check for Westies and the needs of the dog are paramount, I have taken a westie to a home, the dog was adorable and great, home was spot on but it didnt fit quite right so I rehomed it somewhere else, the original people ended up with the perfect match about 2 weeks later.