UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Tony Blair

kimthecat

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought everyone hated Red Ken its traditional.

Not so in my experience. Why would people who don't 'know' him or have to live with his policies hate him? When I first started commuting (and the GLC hadn't yet been abolished) he did wonders for london transport - too well as the government of the time decided to abolish the GLC to get rid of him.

I don't like some of his policies now (eg he won't revoke free transport to under 18's who come out to us suburbs to cause trouble / havoc despite being asked to by the local police), but on the whole he's not been bad for London (otherwise how would he have been elected twice). Could have been far worse - they could have got Steve Norris (our old MP)........

he did wonders for london transport -

I don't like some of his policies now (eg he won't revoke free transport to under 18's who come out to us suburbs to cause trouble / havoc despite being asked to by the local police),

(otherwise how would he have been elected twice). Could have been far worse - they could have got Steve Norris (our old MP)........

Perhaps his policies of yesteryear, when he really did have the publics best interests at heart, when he supported the unions, instead of his current habit of selling them all down the river and that river being the Orinoco rather than the Thames. Now he's no more than a media bitch (although does a great job trying to hide this with his apparent hate of the Evening Standard - loses the argument with his desparate desire to appear on BBC Radio London and LBC) with ambitions of being an international statesman.

Don't you have troublesome teenagers in the 'burbs then? :laugh:

As for elected twice. You've already mentioned the reason! Steve Norris :rolleyes:

Like Blair, Livingston is another Thatcher with a capital 'T'

Pidgeons (a tourist favourite)- Losing them is a sure benefit for Londoners (NOT).

Greyhound March - Bet your life it wasn't a bus he was travelling on that got held up.

Routemasters - Now this man really does understand the concept of 'U' turn (Just ask all the unwillingly displaced and redundant conductors, not to mention the increasing danger of travelling on OPO busses and the 'Free' bendy busses).

Rant over from the Employed Londoner who's too lazy to get out of bed, instead preferring to let all the work in London, be done by Polish migrant workers. (Not that there's anything wrong with Polish or indeed any other legal migrant workers, on the whole with exception to the economics of transferring money out of the local economy instead of reinvesting in it, but that's another issue completely)

Bendy buses are a pain in the bum. I would use my local bus more if it wasn't so expensive. Ã'm not paying £3 for a mile return journey and struggle with my shopping too.

He's trying to force local councils to have a trams running along the UXbridge road when the majority of people and councils dont want them.

He can stick his trams where the sun don't shine. :angry:

Alison

Edited by kimthecat

Can't stand the bloke personally but Trams are one thing I would applaud him on - they are much more environmentally friendly than buses :)

Not if you live on the smaller side roads along the route, where all the other traffic will be forced onto, as the tram system will prevent right hand turns, causing 'rat runs', congestion and unacceptable levels of exhaust pollution along residential streets and are only replacing one route, the 207 Uxbridge to Shepherds Bush. In addition, The Uxbridge Road is not suitable for trams, it's too small, yes there were trams and trolleybusses running along it with a depot at Acton, but that was many many years ago, when there was almost no other traffic. It's illconceived and unwelcomed by most West Londoners. Saying that though, the Kings Cross/Euston to Peckham is another story completely that is and would be welcomed if he'd pull his blinking finger out and deal with it.

Like Blair, Livingston is another Thatcher with a capital 'T'

As "somebody" (ie you in the auction discussions thread) once said to me "are you mad man?" They'd all be turning in their graves to read this (& none of them are dead yet!)

Tony Blair I'd agree is not that far off the Tories but red Ken? He's mellowed I admit but Tony Blair or Margaret Thatcher maybe, Ken Livingston is something else - I would never even consider voting for that guy.

Edited by Ian