UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Still Feeding Bakers?

ClazUK

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She lost confidence in feeding Burns once, when hers had a water infection each, probably brought on by her having some visitors to stay one weekend.

Errol has had 3 blockages, all of which were while he was being fed Burns Fish cat food. He never had a problem on other dried food, but to be paranoid safe we have him on wet food now. Dodge and Grace also had dodgey wees on Burns. I will never, ever recommend Burns cat food to anyone.

Can't comment on their dog food, although I think they're as guilty as other companies of making dry food full of "filler". Not that I've found a dry dog food that isn't that way! *lol*

I've found this very interesting because a friend has a hyperactive JR x that is fed Bakers Complete , he doesnt thave any skin allergies though.

The Bakers was in a large bag not a box and it just had the moist brown bits and no coloured kibble.

KathyM . Kim used to get Feline idiopathic cystitis and the best thing I did was not to give her any dried food at all. She is on Natures menu and I add a little water to it .

Alison

Edited by kimthecat

Four years ago I took on a 3 year old Yorkshire Terrier who was not wanted as she had Diabetes. The only food she had ever been given was Bakers complete. I believe this was a major contributor to her developing diabetes. She has been stable for the past four years on a diet of Burns High Oats and Natures Diet.

Errol has had 3 blockages, all of which were while he was being fed Burns Fish cat food. He never had a problem on other dried food, but to be paranoid safe we have him on wet food now. Dodge and Grace also had dodgey wees on Burns. I will never, ever recommend Burns cat food to anyone.

Can't comment on their dog food, although I think they're as guilty as other companies of making dry food full of "filler". Not that I've found a dry dog food that isn't that way! *lol*

I do add water or gravy (if any left over from our dinner) and sometimes some Glenryck pilchards and water to help it make it more palatable, especially for Ishkha as she in the past, used to look at her bowl and guard it! However now we have the other two she eats it well.

A colleague told me that she just couldn't cope with her hyper pup and was going to have to rehome him. She was feeding him Baker's complete. I suggested that she change fed to something with no artifical colouring. and problem was solved. She said he was like a different dog.

With some dogs I've seen a difference in a matter of days but IME its usually a week or two. The important thing to remember if you do switch foods is to take as much care over the treats you feed as well. No point stopping the Bakers if you carry on feeding treats that are full of colourings and other additives.

ETA: With other dogs the diet change has meant that they were more receptive to training etc. and although the changes took a while the diet change gave them a foot in the door so to speak to get started and give the training a chance to take effect.

Edited by gsdsian

Thanks, :flowers:

I've been helping a friend who walks hyper JRx adopted last year from the Dogs trust . He's being fed Bakers meaty meal and it doesn't say on line or on the packet what the additives and preservative are. It just says EC permitted :angry:

It's not his dog so the final say on his diet would be the owners.

My own dog is prone to colitis so he has nature diet and JWB.

Alison

The people next door to me have recently got a chocolate labrador puppy. He looks about 4-5 months old. They seem to be taking good care of him, although it's about 20 years since they last had a dog. We don't talk a lot, don't get me wrong, we don't "not speak", it's just "hello, nice day" etc. I've just seen them come back from shopping & they've just brought in a 15kilo bag of Bakers :worried_anim: I think some tactful over the garden wall conversations may be needed :rolleyes:

I just bought a bag of CSJ's Herbie Rings, as I couldn't get hold of anything else. I was surprised and disappointed, after reading this thread, that it contains BHF (well, can't remember the exact name, but the stuff that can cause cancer.)

Now I ordered a bad of fish4dogs food. Sounded good when I found it in the local pet shop...

They now started a new variety fish with potatoes for all those dogs which are getting rice allergies lately.

• 1 year later...

Claz, I know this is a really old thread, but you don't happen to have a direct link to the Bakers site for the ingredients list you posted in the first post do you? Or anyone else? I have googled a few times but not come up with it.

Edit - I can find ingredients lists on the Bakers site but none give a breakdown of E numbers that I can see, just state things like coloured with and preserved with EC additives.

Claz, I know this is a really old thread, but you don't happen to have a direct link to the Bakers site for the ingredients list you posted in the first post do you? Or anyone else? I have googled a few times but not come up with it.

Edit - I can find ingredients lists on the Bakers site but none give a breakdown of E numbers that I can see, just state things like coloured with and preserved with EC additives.

I'm obviously not Claz but she mailed me document with the ingredients in it not long ago. I'll pm it to you :flowers:

On Bakers, I have a new groo coming to me next week - see other post :wink: - and she has been on Bakers Complete. My boy is on Arden Grange, which works well and I want to switch her ASAP.

Any thoughts on whether I need to do it gradually or can just switch?

Marie

Others may disagree but with something as awful as Bakers, I'd just switch straight away. I've switched a number of dogs straight onto Naturediet for various reasons (couldn't find out what they had been fed on/couldn't get hold of it/didn't want to buy it) and they've all been completely fine. I know that's not the usual advice, just what I'd do :flowers:

Congratulations on your new arrival :)