UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Making Judgements.

JACKYSIAN

Had to take the rabble on lead upto my friends field last night (thick fog so beach was a no go..Cooper swims out to sea so I need to keep an eye on how far he goes!! :wacko: )

Anyway when I was walking back through the village there was a big group of kids (teenage ish) that were blocking the only footpath. I thought about walking in the road and then decided why should I because it was dangerous as the cars had barely any visability and I had 4 dogs on lead! As I walked up 2 of the boys started pointing at me and they were talking in Welsh to each other...this got my back up cos I was worried that they were going to taunt the dogs (Tiz barks at anyone and anything so doesn't take much to wind her up and she will bite if provoked!). So I just put my worse grumpy old fart face on and strode towards them...I said to one lad 'you'll have to move that bike' to which he said 'oh I am sorry'...I thought fine that's polite, thank you. Then another lad came behind me and said 'Oh my dog looks just like that hairy one..he's a poodle x bedlington what's yours?'

They then all crowded round, asking the dogs names, petting them and the 2 that were talking welsh said they were trying to decided what breeds the dogs were, and could they see if they were right!!!!!!!!! I was so humbled...you're programmed now a days expect groups of kids hanging around to be rude and quiet frankly abit scarey, but they were lovely! I stood with them for about 15 minutes and they were saying how bored they were and they just wanted somewhere they could go to hang out. They were guinenly interested that my dogs were all rescue, and asking if there was any rescues nearby they could go and help out at!

Made me think..next time I'll smile before I scowl.

when i was that age i had no where to hang out with my friends either and always tried to make a point of smiling or saying hello to people out dog walking so they wouldnt feel intimidated. I even do it now when im out with the rotts so no one sees me and thinks thug looking, dead ard dogs=knobhead.

its sad though that we now assume a group of young teens must be trouble and im sure most of us would have had the same thoughts you did if we were in the same position :flowers:

We had a group if older teenagers turned up at our Christmas dog show. With a couple of staffies in all their studded harnesses and a couple of working lurchers, not quite our usual crowed. But they were all lovely lads. The dogs were so friendly and you could tell how much they thought of their dogs. I had a chat with them after them show as they recognised Gizmo my jack russel from me having in the field with the horses. And they were asking all about the dogs and saying hello to them. Definately made me think, which is a shame we make these judgements about people, but I guess its just natural.

I take my dogs the the Metro Centre collecting for Pets as Therapy and it seem to be the people you least expect to love the dogs who are the most enthusiastic. There was a lad who was a typical charva, making a load of noise and came across as quite threatening, he took one look and Gizmo and went all soppy, had to have a cuddle and take a picture with his phone!!

I even do it now when im out with the rotts so no one sees me and thinks thug looking, dead ard dogs=knobhead.

its sad though that we now assume a group of young teens must be trouble and im sure most of us would have had the same thoughts you did if we were in the same position :flowers:

I'm another 'smiler' when I'm out with the dogs, GSD's don't look as 'ard as Rotts do but some people do find them intimidating.

Where I used to live I had a group of teenage lads who used to trail around with me when I went for a walk. Very often if I was late going for my tea time walk they would be knocking on the door asking if I was coming out :rolleyes: They were nice lads but definately the sort that if they were standing around in a group you would think of trying to avoid.

That's a lovely story. Thanks for posting it, it made me smile.

I had to go out the other Friday and found a gang of around 20 teenagers hanging around at the end of the path drinking. I had Katie first. She was scared - went behind me and was very reluctant to walk through them. So they all cleared a nice big path for us without me having to say anything.

Then I got Cal - when he was sitting on the doorstep and saw the teenagers who are one of his favourite types of people, he barked to make sure they noticed him :rolleyes: . Then when we walked through them, one of the boys asked if he might pat Cal. I told him to go ahead and then Cal was in his element - he was suddenly surrounded by teenagers all patting him and saying how nice he is.

Tracey xx