UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Nellie Is About To Give Birth

Brunzara

Some of you may remember Keisha and Nellie who recently arrived at the pound with an exciting tale to tell.

Nellie is the one hiding at the back.

KeishaAndNelliePound.jpg

They were both spotted in the canal, and a rescue attempt was made. They were treated for hypothermia before moving to the pound. No owners came forward, and we thought this was just another sad story. That was until Bernie spotted this item on the news pages of www.narrowboatworld.com.

To rescue two dogs who had fallen through the thin ice of the Leeds & Liverpool Canal at Burnley, a young girl jumped in with little regard for herself. But she was in difficulties herself, and Gary Morton had to drag the girl out of the water, then ran to get the emergency services. The 16 years old was taken to Burnley General Hospital suffering from hypothermia and the dogs managed to get out of the canal themselves and firemen took them to a local vets.

The story was followed a few days later with this:

The girl who jumped into the Leeds & Liverpool Canal at Burnley to rescue two dogs that had fallen through the ice, as reported in narrowboatworld, and who was taken to hospital, has recovered from her ordeal. At the time, both the sixteen year old girl Kalsuma Begum and the two dogs were suffering from hypothermia, with the girl taken to hospital and the dogs to a vets. Of her ordeal Kalsuma related: "I got so cold when I got into the water that I couldn't move. When I was laying on the side of the canal I just wanted to go to sleep." She was taken by ambulance to Burnley General Hospital where she was treated, but feeling well enough to go home that day, she was discharged but was later re-admitted to hospital at the weekend suffering from dizziness. She is now recovering at home.

So after spending nearly a week at the vets Keisha and Nellie were moved to the pound (13.02.07) and from there onto rescue (21.02.07). We had some concerns about Keisha as she seemed to have a rather large belly but upon being seen by a vet she was given the all clear. Nellie however seemed to have a rather hard belly, although not big, but she was so nervous that whenever anybody tried to feel her belly she tensed up making it difficult to tell what was going on so she was booked in for a scan. Confirmation soon came back that she was 6-7 weeks pregnant :ohno02:

Tonight Julie (from the rescue where Nellie was placed) posted this on the RDR forum:

Nelly has kept me on tenterhooks for over a week but finally started nesting in earnest last night. When I went to take her temperature this afternoon I noticed that her vulva had become very swollen and was a little red. I immediately rang the emergency vets and took her over.

She has an oedema which is luckily not restricting the birth canal but has caused her temperature to rise, so may be starting to infect. I decided to leave her at the vets as she is open and about to go into labour. It takes at least 35 mins to get there so I preferred to err on the side of caution.

Poor Nelly who is so terrified of people that she still assumes I may hurt her when I first go in to her space, saw a vet's crate and rushed straight in with a wagging tail! I couldn't believe how much she liked it.

I will keep you up to date with what happens. I felt wriggling before I left her, so the puppies are coping fine!

Julie

Please wish Nellie luck, she is so nervous it's going to be so worrying for her and after everything she and the puppies have been through she needs all the luck she can get :wub:

Edited by Brunzara

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic