UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Pet Blood Bank Uk *new Charity*

Lisa73

Mods please remove or delete if felt in the wrong place or inappropriate....

On Saturday we had the pleasure of meeting up with the volunteers of the new Charity Pet Blood Bank UK which is also supported by the leading out of hours veterinary service Vets Now.

They are aiming to do just as their name suggest up until recently it wasnt possible to store blood but things have changed.

PPBuk aim to collect and store blood from donors the length and bredth of the UK to ensure that should someones pet become ill there is blood already safely available to help save lives. At the moment they are only operating within a two hour radius of their lab in Loughborough BUT the more they can get out their and build their service up the more these constrainted areas WILL increase.

They will be setting up regular blood drives all around the country and are appealing for people to get in touch and register their dogs as donors.

To involve your dog they should meet the criterias laid out below....

Good Temprement

Between 1 & 8 years of age

Be over 25kgs in weight

Should NOT have travelled abroad

Vaccinated for at least 1 month

PPBuk need all the help that anyone can give. Even if your dog is not suitable to become a donor there are many other ways that you can help them.

Please do take the time to visit their website at www.petbloodbankuk.org for more information.

On Friday 10th March Gaps very own Arthur and Andywillows Willow were two of the first greyhounds to act as donors for stored blood. Slim & Bea other Gap hounds have donated directly through vets in emergency situations before. The procedure is not painful or detramental to the dogs well being and they simply have a shaved area and are required to lie still for around 15 minutes whilst blood is taken from the neck. The dogs are totally happy after and were spoilt with treats and a drink from the staff.

Greyhounds especially do make good donors so please if you think your hound would be suitable and you are willing to offer your service do take the time to visit the site as above or call 0844 800 9925.

My Rudi and DeeDee gave blood at the Royal Veterinary College to help Saffie when she had her op and they are desperate for Blood Donors. So if your dog is over 20kilos, fully vaccinated, not been abroad, under 8 years old and is healthy you can register there if there if thereis not a local one to you. Can pm me for phone number :D

I heard about this on the news a week or so ago. What I don't understand though is why a donor dog needs to weigh more than 25 kilos. If one of my dogs weighed that much, they would be seriously overweight and therefore not healthy enough to donate blood. Is it only large breeds that can donate?

I heard about this on the news a week or so ago. What I don't understand though is why a donor dog needs to weigh more than 25 kilos. If one of my dogs weighed that much, they would be seriously overweight and therefore not healthy enough to donate blood. Is it only large breeds that can donate?

If I remember correctly from the RVC Blood donor session done here last year, the reason for the weight restriction is that the bags they use to collect the blood contain a set amount of anti coagulant and therefore each dog must donate a set amount (400 - 450ml) otherwise the balance of anti coagulant to blood is wrong. Obviously a small dog cannot safely give as much as a larger dog so they have the restrictions.

Edited by Rachel