UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Anti Bark Collars - Help/advice

Katie

I am having some serious issues with Heidi at the moment. She is barking and howling during the night when I am at work and this is seriously disturbing the neighbours and their young child.

Thankfully the neighbours are nice people and are prepared to let me know the problems they are having and discuss things in a civil manner but things are now getting to the point where a solution must be found as this has now been going on a couple of months.

Heidi is left in the kitchen overnight uncrated - Logan is with her and sleeps in a crate. Crating her is not an option as she goes nuts. I leave the light on in the kitchen as she does not seem comfortable in the dark. This helped at first but is no longer effective. I also now leave the radio on when I go out - again she was better for a few days but is no longer working. She also has a Buster Cube filled with food every night and plenty of toys left for her. There is really not much more I can do to try and stop her without resorting to leaving her muzzled overnight which I am not happy to do.

I have tried to break the habit by using a husher muzzle when she starts barking when I am here, leaving it on for a short space of time then taking it off and repeating when she starts again but this does not really seem to be helping. She is also rewarded for good behaviour and being a nice quiet girl.

The only other thing I can think of is to try and anti bark collar to try and break the habit - the problem is I really cannot afford to buy one at the moment. Plus is alot of money to shell out if it does not work.

Does anyone know anywhere that hires them out at a reasonable cost? Or does anyone have one that they do not use that they would be prepared to let me borrow for a while to see if it helps. I would be more than happy to send a donation to a rescue in return for a 'loan' of one.

Heidi does seem a happy girl apart from her barking - she adores Logan and they play almost constantly. My concern is that she really does not like to be left and needs someone with her all of the time which I am unable to do - if I cannot solve this I may have to consider trying to find her a new home where she will not be left which would be heartbreaking.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Does Logan ever bark? If he does, you need to consider that Heidi would possibly be punished for his barking as well as her own.

Tricky situation, I am sorry I have no real advise, but I hope you find a workable solution.

Maybe get someone to sleep over at your house? I know that would not be a workable long term solution though. Unless you have room enough for a lodger perhaps?

could you set up a vidoe cam ?

i did it to my girls they go mad when i am not here

but from the video i could work out what was working and was wasn't

how long i could be out and where i needed to do more work

we work out that they sleep and no barking for the first hour and then they started

it gave me a place to start ?

if not then ebay have some you could start there ?

might get one 2nd hand which would bring the cost down

what ever happens good luck :GroupHug: this must be very hard for you

first I'd like to ask if you when you say anti bark collar, that you mean the spray-version? I'd use this only as a last resort :wink:

I dont know if you already tryed this and your work-routine,but maybe if you have some 'free' nights where you dont have to go to work , you could leave her for shorter periods of time and praise her when you come back before she starts barking and ofcourse when she does start to bark,go strait back in to tell her 'no' without any praisings ,then slowly build up the time of leaving her ? (I hope it makes sence the way I try to explain) maybe in combination with Cocoa's idea of placing a web- or videocam?

and have you tryed leaving some clothes,like a sweater or similar, that you've worn ,for her to feel more at ease?

hope you'll find a solution :)

Is there a particular reason why she is left confined to the kitchen when you are out at work? Sometimes, an adjustment to where they are left can often solve the problem. Could be worth a try.

Some dogs cope better when left in small spaces, others can't cope with small spaces and need more room to feel comfortable.

Does Logan ever bark? If he does, you need to consider that Heidi would possibly be punished for his barking as well as her own.

As far as I can work out it is only the one dog doing the barking when I am out - the problem only started after Heidi arrived and the neighbours seem pretty certain it is definitely just one dog doing the barking.

first I'd like to ask if you when you say anti bark collar, that you mean the spray-version? I'd use this only as a last resort :wink:

Yes I mean the spray version - I would not consider an E collar. And yes like yourself this is really the last resort to try and solve it.

Is there a particular reason why she is left confined to the kitchen when you are out at work? Sometimes, an adjustment to where they are left can often solve the problem. Could be worth a try.

Some dogs cope better when left in small spaces, others can't cope with small spaces and need more room to feel comfortable.

I tried leaving her with the run of the house - feedback from the nieghbours was that she was sadly even worse.

I wouldn't use an anti bark collar. I would be worried and upset thinking that I was punishing my dog when they were already in some distress.

Is not something I am particularly keen to do to be honest but I am rapidly running out of options here. I am not wholly convinced her barking is due to her being distressed - she is a very 'barky' girl at the best of times.

I don't know what the answer is, sorry :flowers: but if an expert doesn't come along soon then it might be kinder for her to have a new Mummy. :unsure:

This would be my very, very last resort. I am already Heidi's 3rd home (she is only 16 months old) and she is not the easiest of dogs as she is very difficult around other dogs so finding the right home would not be easy.

Sorry you are in this position.

The problem with citronella collars is that both dogs will be punished and the smell lingers . Also dogs can become used to the smell and after a while begin to ignore it.

If heidi could chose where would she normally prefer to settle ? You could make this place a safe zone, put a duvet there, an article of your clothing and spray Dap there.

Alison

Edited for spelling

Edited by kimthecat

Katie,

Firstly sorry you are having grief with Heidi's barking. Have you tried teaching a quiet command??

I know that sounds silly, but is she barky when you are at home?? I'm not sure, but is she a GSD?? If so they can be gobby at times. Korky can be, but luckily when I'm out she sleeps.

To use Korky as an example, when she came back to me anything at all would start her off. :rolleyes: I found that letting her bark outside, only when playing was a great help. Inside I used a quiet command, using my hands as in the halt sign. When she was quiet, Korky got a reward.

It may not work, but it's just a thought.

I agree with others on here, I'd rather not use a spray collar either. I hope you can sort something.

Kazz xx

Could the light being on be keeping her awake ?

Heidi seems uncomfortable in the dark - she failed her final police dog assessment due to this. I did initially leave the light off then tried with it on, she initially improved quite considerably with the light on.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Many moons ago when Benji was a youngster I took him to training classes.

As he barked at every dog throughout the class the trainer put a citronella spray collar on him. This worked fine for a short period of time, after that he barked regardless of the mist around him :rolleyes:

Im not saying it wouldnt work with Heidi or that you shouldnt even try it but whatever you choose I hope you find something that helps :flowers: