UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Who Does Agility?

crazyspaniels

Well I thought I would post in here to see who else does agility.

Bilbo, my working cocker, and I started last winter, we train with Avon in Scotland.

We thoroughly enjoy it though I let him down rather than the other way around.

We got our first clear round in a small show at the weekend, but our first big proper show is next month so I can start getting nervous again.

Even though Bilbo is a cocker he is tall so up jumping in tall - so sometimes sneaks under a jump or 2 when he can't be bothered and wants to let off some steam - and if he starts kicking off and gets the zoomies half way round he just starts running laps of the arena and there isn't alot that wil stop him :blink:

So who else does agility, is it just for fun or do you complete :D

And if you have a rescue dog and you compete have you signed up for the rescue dog agility league :) (we will no doubt not get a single point this year but we wanted to support such a good idea) :D

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do agility for fun with Morse (my parents' lurcher) :) . We've been doing it for a couple of years now. He really enjoys it. I don't think we'll ever compete though, cause Morse stresses too much and shuts down when he gets worried. Morse loves the tunnels, dog walk and weaves, but hates the seesaw (because it makes banging noises when other dogs go over it). I'm hoping to start with Sophie at some point in the near future too.

Hi,

Jay and I do agility, we compete and are now at Senior level which is rather scary :blink:

I train twice a week and also at home in the summer, and go to training days sometimes. I also teach a group at one of my clubs.

From April we will be at shows most weekends, and depending on uni work I will hopefully get to a couple of week long shows.

Jay loves it so much, he really comes alive when running! I love teaching him and watching him improve, and I have made some really good friends from all over the UK :)

There is a video of Jay here, it is pretty poor quality and a few jumps are missing, but you should be able to get the idea :lol:

Nicola xx

I compete in agility with my 11 year old deaf boy, Defa, who has just unretired himself thanks to the new lower heights :boldred:

Fluke, my Lurcher [ or my half a collie as I sometimes call him :lol: ] has just started training,

Hopefully Silk might be interested in giving it a go in due course.

I have been an instructor for several years and became a qualified judge a year ago [ how the heck did I manage that :lol: ]

I love hearing the KC names the agility dogs have so please can I hear some more on here :D

My crews are

Defa : Smeefie Deef

Fluke : Smeefs Apprentice

and

Silk [ subject to KC confirmation ] will be Wiccaweys Pure Silk [ so I do hope she will give agility a go cos she is getting registered anyway :lol: ]

Just at the moment it's stretching a point to say I compete because my daughter is running all the dogs and I'm just the support system.

It keeps her quiet and stops her wanting another dog of her own and will only be temporary until she goes to uni in 2009.

Between us, the dogs are:

Penny - Novice Large collie x aged 12.

Ross - Novice Large collie x aged 7.

Hazel - Advanced Medium mongrel aged 5.

Eddie - Novice Medium JRT aged 3.

Cedar - Novice Large Trailhound x aged 2.

I do run Hazel and Eddie sometimes still and Cedar is supposed to be mine but he's still getting over a traumatic event and it could be a while before he settles down.

Eddie is a problem - he likes running for me more but he needs someone who will keep with him and push him on at a constant speed, and that ain't me.

I'm the sort who likes to send the dog on and cut all the corners. Works well with Hazel, but not Eddie.

OK

Penny - Miss Penny (not our choice).

Ross - Ross the Rug because he's always under my feet.

Hazel - Half Pint Hazel because she was smaller than the others and reddish brown even down to her nose and nails.

Eddie - Odd One Out as he's the only one of ours that isn't ginger. (Penny doesn't count as she's borrowed.)

Cedar - True to Type as he's another ginger and white one and is so like my first dog in many ways.

I love hearing the KC names the agility dogs have so please can I hear some more on here :D

Daisy - Whoopsa Daisy

Megan -Mistress Megan of Cathra

Bob - Barkly Extraordinaire

Erin - Erin Tiger Hear Me Roar (Erin is a yappy yorkie x :rolleyes: )

Jack - Jack hasn't got a posh name, we sadly had to give up agility due to all the dogs deciding to have something physical wrong with them :(

I do agility with my Border Terrier Dudley and my Dad's rescue dog Suzi of the Molly Mop Tops.

This will Suzi's first season and if the promise she shows in training comes off she's going to be VERY good, shame about the handler :lol:

Here she is....

P7250024.jpg

and here's my boy

Dudsphoto.jpg

I do Agility (badly!) with Duncan - I really enjoy it and would love to start Daisy too but think we might just need to work on Obedience a tiny bit more ......Attended our first competition in January - total disaster as it was held in a Riding for the Disabled Centre and horse poo proved to be far more interesting than flying over jumps :embarassed: Not sure if I'll really get into Competing - seems to me it could turn out very expensive this travelling all over the country but it's a fun way to bond with your dog and meet lots of other like minded people.

I compete with my girl Kim, a Whippet x JRT x something-or-other. She's can be a typical lurcher or a typical terrier ... she's either too sleepy to bother or she's too stubborn. Our first competition was a complete disaster too! It was raining, so she ran back to the car every single time I let her off the lead. I was so crushed by the whole experience I didn't compete for another 12months! But she was an absolute star at her second show, and went clear in one of her two classes, and we got bitten by the competition bug.

Her KC name is Return of the Kim - both me and the dog like watching Return of the King (Lord of the Rings), so it seemed apt!

I'm also going to be competing with my mum's dog Mollie this year in a few any-size classes. She's a Collie X, and will be registered with the Rescue League when her papers come back.

Her KC name (well, hopefully) is Red Mollie Yellow Mollie.

I do agility with one of my lurchers Beama, she's a saluki/whippety cross and we've been going for nearly a year now. We both really enjoy it but we're not very good although apparently that is mostly my fault not Beamy's :lol: She loves all the contacts and every second equipment must be an either dog walk or sea saw(according to Beama) even if it's not supposed to be :rolleyes: I think it's great as she hadn't met many non-lurchery dogs when I rescued her and it's a great opportunity for her to mix with all sorts of dogs ;)