UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Poor Dog On Freecycle

lindaO

This poor dogs has been advertised on freecycle 'free to a good home' in the Leeds area :( Sadly Cassie does not get on with other dogs but if anyone can help please let me know and I will pm the email address thats on the ad :rolleyes:

Roxy is a 16 wk old bitch pup in need of a good loving home,we bought

her as a companion for our yorkshire terrier but sadly they do not get

on, she has good stature/build and is black and tan with big paws, good

temprement but im not sure if she will get on with any other dogs, would

make a lovely pet/companion for some one so please if you can offer roxy

a home then please email me....if any one is interested then tell me

what you can offer roxy..I do hope that this gets posted as will help

roxy to find a new home..thank you all for taking the time to read

this..regards

Edited by lindaO

Not sure if any rescue on here can help, but there's a Dogs Trust in Leeds isn't there? Maybe suggest that the owner contacts them and provide the contact details for them?

A lot of people don't know quite how rescues work, so they might be grateful of some guidance. She says hopefully.

You could also say it's not advisable to advertise dogs as free to a good home as it can attract the "wrong sort" of owner and that she'd be better off rehoming through a rescue if possible.

Hopefully a pup that young will adapt to living with other dogs in the right home.

A lot of people don't know quite how rescues work, so they might be grateful of some guidance. She says hopefully.

Totally agree.

I've contacted 3 people so far on freecycle offering dogs. Be over polite, be tackful and most of all be understanding. It's all too easy to judge but forget your opinion of what they are doing and try and help! 1 lady was so grateful for someone to talk to, she actually has now decided to give the dog another chance and so far it's working! The other 2 I gave them all the local rescues details and they were so grateful because they geniunely(sp) wanted the best for the dogs but weren't aware of the help out there.

Good Luck, hope you can help them. :flowers:

Edited by JACKYSIAN

Not sure if any rescue on here can help, but there's a Dogs Trust in Leeds isn't there? Maybe suggest that the owner contacts them and provide the contact details for them?

You could also say it's not advisable to advertise dogs as free to a good home as it can attract the "wrong sort" of owner and that she'd be better off rehoming through a rescue if possible.

Hopefully a pup that young will adapt to living with other dogs in the right home.

I have emailed them and suggested the dogs trust and given them the contact details and also the number of another local rescue/ rehoming centre so hopefully they will contact them :)

You could also email the moderator of that Freecycle pointing out the advert and the ethics of advertising animals on there. :flowers:

Kazz xx

Sadly I have had a number of email discussions with the mods on freecycle and they refuse to stop allowing ads for animals free to good home :( Their argument being that theya re providing a service for animals that may otherwise be 'dumped' :rolleyes:

Some of our local freecycle sites won't allow animals to be advertised because the idea is that it's to keep things out of landfill. However, the largest one does allow it but gives detailed guidelines on how to vet the new owners etc. The moderator actually has a very happy freecycle dog herself so can't really ban them.

And it is a good point that at least they're trying to find the animal a good home and not just abandoning them. Maybe if we all e-mail advice on rescues when we see one of these it would help.

And I have also seen an advert for someone with loads of land offering to take on pets in any condition to become part of their family to people who were struggling with their animals. And they insisted that the owner came along to meet them and see their premises before agreeing to hand over their pet. So I guess freecycle has it's good points.

Diane

Ours says no animals and periodically puts the names and numbers for local rescues up instead which is great.

Someone was asking about a cocker on Loot the other day - Iemailed her and gave her the site addy and got a lovely mail back to say she was looking which was great

This poor dogs has been advertised on freecycle 'free to a good home' in the Leeds area :( Sadly Cassie does not get on with other dogs but if anyone can help please let me know and I will pm the email address thats on the ad :rolleyes:

I emailed him too Linda, so hopefully he will listen to one of us.

Leeds freecycle are currently having a poll of memers to decide whether or not to continue to allow animals to be advertised on there.

I emailed him too Linda, so hopefully he will listen to one of us.

Leeds freecycle are currently having a poll of memers to decide whether or not to continue to allow animals to be advertised on there.

Ohhh thats good news , maybe the mod did take on board my suggestions :biggrin:

Will go have a look , thanks :biggrin:

I didn't know this either - I'll add my vote, too. The Bradford one has already stopped advertising pets.

Having read what some others have said, though - will this just mean that pets will be offered on other (possibly less responsible) websites/shop windows, etc? I was appalled, initially, that animals were advertised on the Leeds one, but now I wonder.

If it's because people don't know about rescues, how will they find out - unless there was a very obvious link attached to each Freecycle site?

Liz.

Hi there

I live in Norfolk and have never heard of Freecycle, can someone explain what it is plz? Is it only in the area of Leeds?

Thanks

Jackie

http://www.regionalfreebies.co.uk/freecycle-in-uk.htm

This gives a list of groups nation-wide. :flowers:

Liz.

The idea of freecycle is great, but today on our Coventry are Freecycle, two rabbits mother and daughter have been rehomed. I will mention it to my fellow cat fosterer friend who is one of the moderators. She is very good and normally gets in touch suggesting homechecks etcetera.

With Freecycle items must be absolutely free.

Some rescues have advertised on there for items for the animals, such as old towels, blankets and leads and collars no longer required.