UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Cecil's Tail

Pendlewitch

Really worried about Cecil's tail, on a narrow track this morning Jumble rear ended him, he gave a bit of a squeak and then ran off again. I called him to me and he seemed to be sort of scuttling with his bum tucked under so I put him on the lead and watched him as he walked. His tail is hanging funny for want of a better word, it sort of goes down then turns left a bit, he has not raised it or wagged it. Otherwise he was fine and started to walk normally again and he hopped into the car as usual, I tried to have a look when we got home but when I went to lift his tail he nearly took my hand off. As long as I don't try to touch it he is fine, eating and counter surfing as ususal. We are going to the vet first thing tomorrow. Anyone had experience of tail problems, if it's broken will he ever be able to wag it again and how would it be treated? Poor Cecil :mecry:

Oh no, poor Cecil :GroupHug:

I don't think there is usually much the vets can do about a broken tail except wait for it to heal. Breaks near the base are the worst, breaks higher up tend not to cause too many problems. I've heard of dogs' tails being dislocated as well, which would presumably be very painful.

Just a thought, but he hadn't been swimming, had he? There's a condition dogs can get after being in cold water which gives them a limp tail which hangs down and seems paralysed and painful. It usually goes away in a few days.

Hope it turns out just to be bruised and nothing more serious :flowers:

Just a thought, but he hadn't been swimming, had he? There's a condition dogs can get after being in cold water which gives them a limp tail which hangs down and seems paralysed and painful. It usually goes away in a few days.

Hope it turns out just to be bruised and nothing more serious :flowers:

My oldest, Akita, got this from playing a bit too rough with Indy a few years ago, and they were in my mums living room, well away from water! They did go about OTT though, and there was lots of bumping into tables and slamming each other on the floor going on though :unsure:

BUT she never reacted to me touching it, it just hung "dead" for about a month, IIRC.. I hope the vet can give you an answer :flowers:

Edited by doggie mum

If you have Homeopathic Arnica, preferably 30c, but 6c would also do, give him one every hour this evening, and then 3 a day for a few days - great for any injury. Should it turn out to be broken, Homeopathic Symphytum helps breaks heal faster.

Sending Reiki if he wants it. :GroupHug:

Phew! :) The vet thinks he is only badly bruised, he gave him an anti inflammatory injection and within half an hour he was much better but it still looks funny, the end wags but hangs sideways and now the injection has worn off his tail looks kind of immobile. If he doesn't improve within the next 48 hours he has to go back to the vet. Cecil says thanks for all the kind thoughts and the Reiki from Muriel! :)