UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

My Poor Baby

batmobile

We were having a lovely woods walk and everything was fantastic. When coming round a corner obscured by a huge bush , Hobbes ahead of us and Whisper next to us, there was a sudden squeal. So Andy (OH) ran round aforementioned bush and there was an elderly couple with a massive English bull dog on a lead, covered in blood, holding hobbes by the throat. He was crying and squealing and shaking and nothing we did made the dog let go of his neck. The couple were not only rude but she was screeching about her dog's eye. Hobbes had at this point gone limp as if to not aggravate dog anymore. He was whining with pain and shock. I was trying to prise dog off him, andy was trying to open jaw. By some miracle the dog eventually let go, probably because Hobbes was not responding - like a rag. In the meantime, another couple with an english bull terrier, were shouting at this couple saying: You blamed our dog? Look at what yours has done again and crying and stuff. He came over and was trying to help as Hobbes was crying. Basically, once the dog had let go, Andy picked hobbes up and carried him to the car. The helpful couple showed us their dog and it had massive puncture wounds on it's legs. Now, we had not seen what had happened previously but I imagine those two got into a fight - it was only a pup, tiny and the other dog had obviously hurt it badly. they had only put it on lead because of that fight (it was completely out of control on lead too). The 'offending' couple walked off with not even an apology. They were probably worried we would report them or something. Especially as I have a wound (very small) on my hand as does OH.

anyway, we got Hobbes home and cleaned him up and he is ok though obviously bruised. LUCKILY, the dog has missed his artery and the blood was mainly from the other dog (who was already injured from fight and had several dog's blood on him). He is very subdued and sad. He didn't know the dog was there and was lunged at in what could and should have been a death grip. I am furious with the owners for placing blame on the other couple and for doing nothing. I am shaken to the core and obviously thinking of that what ifs (half an inch to the left and he would be dead.) Hobbes is soft as heck and over the last year has got less bothered about other dogs - he always got over excited about meeting dogs but since Whisper and security kicked in he hardly even bothers to sniff them now. I am worried it will make him nervous again and that he will get defensive around dogs. He was terrified and whislt he hates being carried, he just cuddled up to my oh crying. Heartbreaking. I am obviously so relieved he is ok, but so angry and upset too. the other couple had to take theirs to the vet it was so badly hurt (you could see bone) and it was a baby. I am not one for blaming the breed but this does make me think why have a powerful dog like that and not control/ train it properly. It was on a lead and could still not be controlled or stopped. And why were they 'hiding' int he bushes anyway? It was snarling and growling and shaking.

god my poor boy.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you rung the police or the dog warden? Did you take the other couple's number who had their dog attacked?

Crikey, can't believe it. Hope hobbes is ok, I would go and see the vet anyway in case he needs a course of antibiotics and he can have his neck clipped too so you can see wot is wot and keep it clean :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

Unfortunately we did none of the sensible things because we were in shock and just wanted to get him out of there to see what was what and rush him to the vets if needs be. To be honest there appears to be not a mark on him - I *think* the dog happened to just get skin/ fat - we were lucky rather than that Hobbes had any 'choice' in it. There is nothing bleeding, his right side looks a bit swollen but he's wagging now and begging for crisps! It has taken us a few years of training to make him realise other dogs are not exciting (he never attacked or was aggressive, just over enthused and desperate for them to understand his weird Hobbes games) and to concentrate on us and balls etc. He didn't even see it coming. I wish I'd at least spoken to the other couple apart from to thank them and tell them how awful the dog's wounds were, find out if they were ok etc but I have nothing to 'tell' the dog warden or police. I know being on a lead makes it seem they were controlling it but it should have been muzzled too as it was clearly just aggressive. anyway, there is not a lot I can do. asm taking him to vets tomorrow for a check but he is actually ok and there is no blood anywhere now. My knuckle stings from where I got 'toothed' trying to gte dog off him!

Unfortunately we did none of the sensible things because we were in shock and just wanted to get him out of there to see what was what and rush him to the vets if needs be. To be honest there appears to be not a mark on him - I *think* the dog happened to just get skin/ fat - we were lucky rather than that Hobbes had any 'choice' in it. There is nothing bleeding, his right side looks a bit swollen but he's wagging now and begging for crisps! It has taken us a few years of training to make him realise other dogs are not exciting (he never attacked or was aggressive, just over enthused and desperate for them to understand his weird Hobbes games) and to concentrate on us and balls etc. He didn't even see it coming. I wish I'd at least spoken to the other couple apart from to thank them and tell them how awful the dog's wounds were, find out if they were ok etc but I have nothing to 'tell' the dog warden or police. I know being on a lead makes it seem they were controlling it but it should have been muzzled too as it was clearly just aggressive. anyway, there is not a lot I can do. asm taking him to vets tomorrow for a check but he is actually ok and there is no blood anywhere now. My knuckle stings from where I got 'toothed' trying to gte dog off him!

:GroupHug: for you and poor Hobbes, I think it might be wise to speak to the dog warden even just to give a description and where you were walking. That way the incident is on record in case some other poor dog suffers the same fate or worse. The last thing that is needed at this time is ignorant owners not prepared to take the proper steps to ensure their dog cannot harm/attack/kill another animal.

Take Hobbes to the vet, shock kills even when the dog doesn't have a mark on them. Vets put dogs in shock on a drip to reduce the shock.

You can reduce it yourself by stroking both sides of his ears, but the vet is the best way to go.

I hope that he is soon recovered and as you are in shock yourselves, try some Rescue Remedy. :GroupHug:

How are you all now? Nightmares should not come true like that. I would take him to the vets tomorrow, just to be safe.

Once you've all recovered a little, definitely report it and maybe ring round the local vets to try and trace the other owners whose dog was attacked? Regardless of breed, this couple have an out of control dog that has already dangerously attacked. If the first incident (if it was the first :( ) was only enough to put him on the lead, how many more will it take to be sensible and invest in a muzzle and re-training?

Best thing for Hobbes, I think, is to get him out for some positive experiences with dogs he knows well already. Probably best for you as well :GroupHug: :GroupHug:

There was a GSD on one of our regular walks a year or so ago who was well known for being out of control, off lead, and launching unprovoked attacks on other dogs regardless of what the other dog was doing or where it was. The amount of owners who said, "it happened to our dog", but yet had not reported them was astonishing. Thankfully I think they stopped coming to the park but can only hope that that's not because something even worse had happened.

Muriel I'm sure will give you some good advice. The hardest part for you no doubt will be getting the "If's" out of your head and being confident the next time you go out.

Sending very comforting thoughts to Hobbes. Was Whisper with you too? Hope she wasn't shaken by it as well.

Thinking of you all tonight.

Edited by reds