UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Should Saddam Die?

raiye

I'm totally against the death penalty, but I can't say I am in this case. I've seen too many Iraqis on telly celebrating Saddam's death and I'm like: who am I to condemn this, I've not suffered at the hands of this tyrant and neither have my family and friends. The people I saw celebrating were forced to flee their country, leaving all that they knew and loved behind. I've got enormous respect for them and as much as I don't agree with the death penalty, I'd feel extremely self-righteous condemning Saddam's death in the face of someone who's lost half their family at his hands.

How can you be totally against the death penalty but not condemn it in this case?

As ofr it being on Eid: I've heard several people say that this was their best Eid present, so again, I'm not going to disagree with something that isn't even part of my culture. All I was thinking of really was: better him killed than one of the millions of sheep that'll be suffering to death again this year.

You're not going to disagree with what amounts to murder of a human being on Eid because it is not part of your culture, but you're against the slaughter of sheep because that's not part of your culture?

Saddam only became a "threat to world peace"after he refused to be a US lacky any more.

So is your entire argument against the US then, or do you accept that Saddam was an evil dictator before he refused to be a 'US lacky'?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm totally against the death penalty, but I can't say I am in this case.

If it's OK in this case then you can't be totally against the death penalty. Surely you mean that it's OK to kill someone if what they are supposed to have done merits death in your opinion, or if their death makes others happy.

How can you be totally against the death penalty but not condemn it in this case?

See, I'm asking myself that very same question. What I'm trying to say is that I'm struggling with unreservedly condemning this one, because it has been proven completely beyond any kind of doubt that he caused unimaginable suffering to thousands and thousands of people. In other cases I had a clear cut opinion, but this time I am questioning it - and openly because I'd like to see feedback and reasoning for their stance of other people, to maybe help me form my own opinion. Yes I like to see the b@st@rd pay for everything he's done, but does that wish in itself make me just as bad, or a hypocrite because I put a value on his life that is less than someone else's?

You're not going to disagree with what amounts to murder of a human being on Eid because it is not part of your culture, but you're against the slaughter of sheep because that's not part of your culture?

I assume you mean 'despite' it's not part of my culture - with regards to the sheep?

Some people have condemned Saddam having been killed on Eid, some see it as the best present they could ever get on this for them significant day. To me it doesn't bear any significance that Saddam was killed on Eid, because the day in itself doesn't bear any significance to me - Eid is not part of my culture.

When it comes to animals being killed however, I don't think I need to share anyone's culture to be against the killing of animals. I'm just as opposed to turkeys being killed for Xmas as I am opposed to sheep being slaughtered for Eid.

So is your entire argument against the US then, or do you accept that Saddam was an evil dictator before he refused to be a 'US lacky'?

No, I totally accept that he was an evil dictator before the US got involved with him. I was only raising the point that first the US saw fit to support him, knowing full well that he was a dictator, and then, supposedly when he got in their way, drummed up a load of bull as an argument to invade the country and overthrow him. Then he got caught and "tried" by a so-called "independent" Iraqi court and received a death sentence. And yes, like mentioned before, he was conveniently shut up before he could say anything about the US involvement in the Middle East in the last so many decades.

Like I said, I've got too many questions in my head to give a clear cut opinion, that's why I like taking part in this debate :)

I don't agree with the death penalty for anyone, under any circumstances. Killing is killing, whether it involves Saddam Hussein being responsible for thousands of deaths or the Iraqi justice system ordering his own death. It's still morally wrong in my opinion. Nobody has the right to remove life, and I think any civilised justice system is based on that principle.

I was uncomfortable with the whole thing.

Yes he was a dictator and he who fights by the sword should die by the sword .

Surely now Blair and Bush should be tried the same way because as much as we only see what our press and governments allow us to see the Iraqis and all other Arab countries will see the torture and death caused by the west.

It doesnt mean anyones more right or more wrong but that death is a terrible thing especially an execution.

It would not have disturbed me as much had saddam been tried for an individual child murder because I would have been swayed by revenge for a child and protection of others in the future.

What came accross to me more strongly was the executioners were no different to the arabic killings of hostages the west has condemmed in the past only this time the West said it was ok because they justified it

I'm really struggling with this one, my Dad is in the armed forces and was involved over there so I really feel for the families of the forces. I always had a problem with the death sentence because I felt that a case was almost never a clear cut 'guilty', and therefore too risky to give the death penalty in case they were wrong. In this case it is 100% clear cut and the man has carried out crimes too numerous to list, in that case is the death penalty wrong?? I'm not sure.

One of my other concerns is that I think we all agree that this man should at least be imprisoned for life, how difficult is it to guaruntee his security and safety for ever? Where would he be jailed? What standard of life should he be given?

I guess the other main concern is one that several of you have voiced, what repurcusions will there be? Will it make the 'peace process' easier or harder? Will more people die as a result?

I don't know the answers to these questions, I guess it doesn't matter now cos it has been done anyway. I can honestly say that on reflection, the world is no poorer for him being dead.

Sums it up perfectly.

I am anti death penalty anyway, it's utterly hypocritical to take someone's life as punishment for them taking a life/lives. Sheer madness!

As has already been said, Saddam's death will only achieve more violence and conflict. It won't undo what he did. They'd be better sentencing him to a lifetime of charity working helping the people he hurt in some way.

And as for the method, well there is no excuse for hanging someone these days. How can anyone criticise Saddam for being barbaric and then sentence him to death by hanging? If it has to be done then it should be by humane lethal injection not by what is essentially strangulation which may take half an hour to kill him.

wouldnt a life of helping charity enable him to be totally protected by the "human rights peoples" then he could blame a fall in his childhood or something his mother said for his actions

well it has happen now

and how sick that there is a phone video of it all!

sky showed some off it on the news last night, i wanted to be sick and my 15 year old has a 100000000 Q about why and how

all his freinds are talking about it, i had to tell him how and why it all happen and then try and get him to see why i did not like it

Edited by cocoa

It chills me to my soul to see a human or animal, surrounded by others who have the power to legitimately end their life, it seems so very, very wrong to me whatever the circumstances :( (Part of me will always feel this way if and when I have my animals put to sleep to prevent them suffering :( )