UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

As well as the loop in rug trick I also went today and picked up a 4ft square bale of hay and have dumped it in the field for him.

So, I've left the loop on his rug again tonight (just incase) so if he breaks out again i'll know its not to do with the fact that hes hungry, it will be because he wants to see his chums.

If that is the case then maybe i'll have to buy a pony :laugh: hopefully it was just the grass he was after...

I think its much better for them to get one good shock and learn from it than to risk multiple injuries possibly causing their own death or the death of others....hope the little monkey has learned his lesson....

Rescue a donkey.....oh go one you know you want one....its nearly Christmas and everything....

As well as the loop in rug trick I also went today and picked up a 4ft square bale of hay and have dumped it in the field for him.

So, I've left the loop on his rug again tonight (just incase) so if he breaks out again i'll know its not to do with the fact that hes hungry, it will be because he wants to see his chums.

If that is the case then maybe i'll have to buy a pony :laugh: hopefully it was just the grass he was after...

• Like 1

Aww norty Milo :laugh:

After Blue's halo slipped last Tuesday when I rode him, it has been returned to it's rightful place now :) In my lesson on Friday, he started off a bit shuffley in the walk, but lots of walk - halt - walk transitions sorted that out. As soon as we went into the trot, he turned into Mini Valegro again (that is his new nickname), really forward balanced trot, then when I asked him to canter, he just popped into a beautiful steady canter with no rushing or hollowing. Towards the end of the lesson when we were trotting across the diagonal, he was really opening himself up and extending. I was buzzing for a good couple of days afterwards. Weather depending, we may be hacking out tomorrow.

• Like 1

LOL :laugh: I go away for 5 minutes and you lot have organised me a donkey :laugh:

If I had my own land, yes I would not hesitate in adopting a donkey/pony. But...I don't :laugh: plus I can't afford to keep 2 running. Anyway, Im sure milo would make the poor things life a misery chasing It round and biting its bum constantly!

Milo has remained in the field quite content with his bale of hay, so maybe he was just hungry. Either that or the fear of being electrocuted through his rug outweighs the temptation of mares :laugh: the guy who owns the field spoke to the neighbours today and they have reassured us that they have a gate at their house so even if he does by some freak chance escape again there's no way he can get out on the road so that has put my mind at rest considerably!

Don't you love moments like that gooster? ! Maybe blue benefitted from his little rest :)

Thinking of taking the delinquent out SJ'ing on Sunday....eek. I have discussed it with the lady who has run all the jumping clinics I've been to and she thinks I would be fine doing the smallest 2 classes as its in a huge arena with a good surface. The biggest class I will do is 75cm so about 2'4"ish which he can hop over without much effort so think we would be ok.

Just need a helper to come with me, not sure I can deal with driving myself there and doing It all myself!

Good boy Milo, you stay in your field and you won't get zapped!

I have some serious concerns about Wanda, after her being pretty amazing and bonkers she has crashed big style and is very lethargic. Her muscle tone is awful, she no top line, she has hollows at each side of her withers, her bum has disappeared and she stands with her back legs out behind and her feet at ten to two. She's always screwed her back feet but this has got to the stage where her shoes become knife thin on the outside. She looks like a scrapper from a poor quality horse auction! The saddle fitter was not at all happy with her and suggested the physio which had already been booked for next Tuesday.

So I have a horse with arthritic hocks, pasterns and neck, she is always aneamic, has quite severe pollen allergies, is prone to viruses and now cushings. This latest crash has happened suddenly but it's what Wanda does and it makes me wonder if she has had cushings for some time although at 85 her ACTH levels are not that high.

My gut feeling is to retire her, Sam said she was dire to hack out yesterday, just totally dead, this along with all the other problems is telling me it's time to stop. Although apart from the cushing she does not have life threatening problems she has lots of problems and it's becoming a management issue rather than a fixing her issue.

Wanda is 17 so not a great age but is a big lanky horse and I've always thought she would not age well, this is proving so true. I'll see what the physio says but I don't think it will be a very positive outcome. Wanda deserves her retirement, she owes me nothing, I owe her everything.

I always say you know when the time is right......and the effort to keep her in work may not be doing her much good, I think your gut instinct it correct...and a peaceful retirement maybe just what she needs.....

Good boy Milo, you stay in your field and you won't get zapped!

I have some serious concerns about Wanda, after her being pretty amazing and bonkers she has crashed big style and is very lethargic. Her muscle tone is awful, she no top line, she has hollows at each side of her withers, her bum has disappeared and she stands with her back legs out behind and her feet at ten to two. She's always screwed her back feet but this has got to the stage where her shoes become knife thin on the outside. She looks like a scrapper from a poor quality horse auction! The saddle fitter was not at all happy with her and suggested the physio which had already been booked for next Tuesday.

So I have a horse with arthritic hocks, pasterns and neck, she is always aneamic, has quite severe pollen allergies, is prone to viruses and now cushings. This latest crash has happened suddenly but it's what Wanda does and it makes me wonder if she has had cushings for some time although at 85 her ACTH levels are not that high.

My gut feeling is to retire her, Sam said she was dire to hack out yesterday, just totally dead, this along with all the other problems is telling me it's time to stop. Although apart from the cushing she does not have life threatening problems she has lots of problems and it's becoming a management issue rather than a fixing her issue.

Wanda is 17 so not a great age but is a big lanky horse and I've always thought she would not age well, this is proving so true. I'll see what the physio says but I don't think it will be a very positive outcome. Wanda deserves her retirement, she owes me nothing, I owe her everything.

Donkeys can look after them selves.... we always used to run the newly weened race horse babies with a Donkey called Ding (an ex champion donkey of Ireland no less) they would go in all full of themselves ....that never lasted very long....

LOL :laugh: I go away for 5 minutes and you lot have organised me a donkey :laugh:

If I had my own land, yes I would not hesitate in adopting a donkey/pony. But...I don't :laugh: plus I can't afford to keep 2 running. Anyway, Im sure milo would make the poor things life a misery chasing It round and biting its bum constantly!

Milo has remained in the field quite content with his bale of hay, so maybe he was just hungry. Either that or the fear of being electrocuted through his rug outweighs the temptation of mares :laugh: the guy who owns the field spoke to the neighbours today and they have reassured us that they have a gate at their house so even if he does by some freak chance escape again there's no way he can get out on the road so that has put my mind at rest considerably!

Don't you love moments like that gooster? ! Maybe blue benefitted from his little rest :)

Thinking of taking the delinquent out SJ'ing on Sunday....eek. I have discussed it with the lady who has run all the jumping clinics I've been to and she thinks I would be fine doing the smallest 2 classes as its in a huge arena with a good surface. The biggest class I will do is 75cm so about 2'4"ish which he can hop over without much effort so think we would be ok.

Just need a helper to come with me, not sure I can deal with driving myself there and doing It all myself!