UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

That is fantastic Jacky :GroupHug: :biggrin: It is amazing what time, patience and lots of love can do :wub:

But you know if you really loved Kane ...... you would take more pictures to share with us :D

Hope Dexter is enjoying his holiday home, fingers crossed for him it all goes well and they keep him :)

I have dressage on Saturday, the only class suitable is p10 which isn't great, the class is huge and when I watched last month it was quite a "look down your nose" atmosphere so a bit :unsure: Strange really as last year it was really relaxed and friendly, so not sure why it is attracting the dressage divas all of a sudden. :rolleyes:

No real pressure for us though as our left canter is still shaky on a good day, missing on a bad :laugh: It will be 50/50 if I get left canter within all the canter work on the left rein :rolleyes: so my aim is to see if our trot marks have improved since last summer. He went really nicely this morning, so quite looking forward to it :)

Oooo Good Luck for Saturday Clare, P10 is not my favourite test because of the diagonal canter, Wanda and I always mess up one or the other! :)

A quick question for the horsey people, do you hack and would you ever consider not hacking out? Wanda is brilliant on the roads with the occasional scream of ' oh look, there's a GATE' or something equally silly. We don't trot on the roads and this does cause me a problem, with walking all the time I get very stiff because of the arthritis and I do worry about the new knee though what I think it's going to do I don't know. I could always get off and walk a bit but then I can't get back on without a handy wall or similar. If we had decent hacking so I could trot and canter I would be fine but ours is pants, just about all road work. It's not as if Wanda does not get out at all, YO Sam takes her out and so does my niece, am I wimping out if I say I'm just not going to hack out?

Lady T has a complaint against a regular contributer to this thread. It is a serious accusation and demands the appropriate punishment.

Reds has been round to visit, and has been seen SNIGGERING at Lady T!! Whilst claiming, "Its not right".

Sniggering! I ask you!

What has caused this disgraceful attitude?

Lady T doing heelwork! Lovely heelwork, complete with a wonderful watch and close!

Ahhhh, the joys of clicker training!

We suspect that Lindsey is in fact jealous because Lady T's heelwork is now as good as Teddy's, but without the added woofing! :D

Not only has there been sniggering - there has also been mention of 'ample bottoms' too!

Lady T has come up with a plan involving dowsing Lindsey in gravy and lowering her into a pit of collies, but any other suggestions are very welcome. Are there any dashing young steeds out there to defend her honour?

Sarah who is obviously quite mad this morning and living in cookoobananas land!

:ohmy: :ohmy: How very dare she!! Lady T is just doing what all the well trained horses do (Kane does heelwork...as long as mum has a juicy carrot..and in fact he'll do sit, down and paw for a juicy carrot!!) Reds is far to close to you there I think this yet again confirms her highness should be allowed to come visit her country residence in Anglesey which is too far for the sniggering young lady to visit!!! :biggrin:

PW, all I pretty much do is hack out. (School if I have to or it's raining too hard to go out) I couldn't imagine not doing it! Kane loves hacking, and now we've been working on his confidence I can even see he gets as much pleasure hacking out alone as in company. Why don't you trot on the road? I don't do much, I prefer to wait til we are on the fields or have grass in the middle of the lane. I must admit I'm a bugger for grass verges though...as long as I know they are safe I do canter whenever possible!! :rolleyes: But I suppose I'm extreamly lucky having very quiet lanes and the estate land to ride on safely. Although have to say Kane is 100% traffic proof, it's usually a random rock that sends him into orbit!!! :laugh: I'm trying to think but one of the horse magazines last month had a big section on hacking out and how to use it for schooling etc. I'll dig it out and can send it to you if you'd like?

Good Luck Clare! I haven't a clue what you are talking about but it sounds fun!!! :laugh: :laugh: That's the one thing I like about the little shows they've held at my yard, everyone is so friendly and I've only seen one example of someone being uber-competitive and she was shot down in flames!!! :laugh:

Please accept my written apologies Mrs Wiccs, on Lady T's behalf. I have to confess that the heelwork is of a very high standard and I did witness the fast pace too! The 'watch' is especially impressive although I still think the KC would bar her entries :D

I'd watch her communications with Jackysian though, putting ideas into her head about living on her own Island with a tall, dark handsome man.....TUT.

Good luck Clare, doesn't matter what everyone else looks like or their attitude, it's how the horses perform that counts and you and Loki will put fear into them! Lots of left canter first time thoughts :wub:

PW, flexi-reins sound great, nearly bought some buyself before. Re: hacking, always used to hack (don't have a school, just the fields). I think it's great for their confidence building and for hillwork and general fitness and leg hardening. I also think it can encourage them to lengthen their strides. BUT I wouldn't ever do a lot of trotting on the roads again because of the concussion, especially if wearing metal shoes. When getting/keeping Duke competition fit I naievely used to do a fair amount of trot work on the roads but I wish I hadn't now. I'm sure it didn't help his ringbone. His feet problems are due to conformation but when I see horses trotting hard on the roads now I squirm at the thought of all that concussion. Can't beat a good old canter though when out :biggrin:

Do you have any UK chasers courses near you?

I rode Dukey again on Monday and for a moment I thought we now only had two paces: jog and gallop! I told meself to stop being stupid though and he was fine, if a little fast and norty. Unlike the good boy Kane, he decided he would be nappy again so we had to got the long way round on the way up (might have something to do with the Teddy Bear setting off a bird scarer last time!). We did find a lovely grassy field though so did a bit of work (loose use of the term) in there and boy has my riding taken a dive :ohmy: At least one of us can still leg yield (and it 'aint the one with two legs).

Might be bold and take him to a country park soon, mostly grass so his feet should be ok, don't really know why though he'll only jog like he would at home! Farrier highly recommended Old Mac's for his front feet so we can ride on stony ground. Anyone any experience?

PS. The Lady T and Teddy video 'Happy Hackers in Fields of Gold' hit a glitch in that it was too big so will have to have a fiddle....

Edited by reds

We do a lot of hacking, we do trot on the roads occasionally to get through sets of traffic lights and stuff, but mainly we walk (with Blue bringing up the rear). We went on a pub ride on Saturday - that was ace, we were out for 5 hours though and I think I've buggered up my knee from being in the saddle for that length of time :rolleyes:

Five hours! :wacko: I would have needed a fork lift to get me off.

We have been given permission to ride in the fields when it dries up, now when will that be? :laugh: We are also quite near the beach here but although people do ride there it is not a nice place at times, there are deep and changing gullies and very muddy bits, you have to know what you are doing down there, it's the beach where the cockle pickers were drowned.

About an hour away is Craven Cross Country Ride, this is a super place and so well maintained, will have to get up there before the end of summer! I'm dying to have a razz round but Wanda is not fit enough yet so I have to bide my time!

Definitely!! It's ace - am hacking out tonight with my cousin again - hopefully not a 5 hour one though!!! He's loving it there as well, lots of fields to canter round in, lots of friends to play with, and he's getting more hacking than schooling, which is always going to go down well!!

Thanks Anne :flowers: He's been fighting today, and has lots of holes in him, so can't ride him :angry: They are all just superficial, but right under the saddle, so don't want to risk it :rolleyes: Got to ride my uncle's horse tonight though on the hack, he's a 15.3 clydesdale cross called Brandy - also known as Mr B. He's ridden western though, which was an experience for me - only ever ridden english! we had a good canter though!!!

Wow, Blue is gorgeousness on 4 legs :bigheart3:

All these horses to fit into my trailer one night, going to have to work quickly :wink:

Does he get sunburnt easily or is he ok? Squeak has a pink nose but has been alright this year so far, just a couple of days he got a bit red.

Keep your camera with you Jayne, I have an appetite for Blue pics now :laugh: (and some of Kane jumping I believe...... :glare: )

I'll get some of Kane jumping...not me but Kane!! :laugh: :laugh:

He's in disgrace anyway, he took against the dentist yesterday and because I couldn't make it Jayne, the yard owner was helping out but wasn't keen on pushing the issue so dentist is kindly coming back next week when I can be there!!! Jayne said that Kane didn't once do anything on purpose to hurt anyone but used his rather ample behind to push them out the way!!! :laugh: :laugh: Unfortunately it was raining so they were working in the stable so I think that's why he'd of freaked out, he's still not good with people he doesn't know in his 'space'. :rolleyes: Luckily the dentist has to come next week for other horses too so I wasn't the only one...although next week the vet will also be in attendence for one of the youngsters to be sedated (he's got to have a abcess drained) so Kane might be on the recieving end of a needle if he messes around again!!! :mecry:

Sounds great fun Jayne, I much prefer hacking to schooling as well...to me it's the reason I learnt to ride and have a horse. :wink:

Kane's not really burnt this year either Reds, I've been using Lidl sunblock and it's been excellent, seems to last all day without having to reapply it. That and the fact we've only had 2 days of summer of course!! :laugh:

Wow, Blue is gorgeousness on 4 legs :bigheart3:

All these horses to fit into my trailer one night, going to have to work quickly :wink:

Does he get sunburnt easily or is he ok? Squeak has a pink nose but has been alright this year so far, just a couple of days he got a bit red.

Keep your camera with you Jayne, I have an appetite for Blue pics now :laugh: (and some of Kane jumping I believe...... :glare: )

He's not that bad actually, although we haven't had much sun this year to test him out. Been putting factor 50 on most days though and that seems to have kept him nice and pink :wub:

Will try and get some of me on Blue pics for you next time :biggrin: