UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Yay! Well done CP! Looking forwards to seeing the videos :biggrin:

Go on and get the 7 month old PW, you know you want to :)

I am now in possession of a pen drive with videos from 2011 and end of 2012 :ninja: As Blue is a bit camera shy, his outline goes out of the window whenever Claire films him and he starts nosing around at everything. I will have a look at the videos over the weekend, and if they aren't too horrendous, I will post them on here :)

Had a reasonable lesson on him tonight, had to lunge him first, as the YO caught up with me tonight and told me they haven't been putting him out in the field as it is too boggy and they are worried he might hurt himself. I said, that's fine, but where else can he go. I didn't want him going in the quarry winter field, as I suspect that is where he hurt his leg last winter. However the other winter field is nearly as steep. Blue is not the kind of pony who can stay in for weeks on end, even if he can go out for just an hour, it does him good to have a roll and a play. Moving yards is out of the question, as there is nowhere really around here with flat fields. At least where he is at the moment, he is settled and happy (when he gets his turnout). I have asked them to put him in the other field and see how he gets on in there. Hopefully he will be ok :unsure:

Oh go on PW you know you want to! :D

Dressage yesterday: I know I know I was hopeless..

Show jumping today, he never fails to amaze me. Started off with the 70cm, I was In a flap before we started because I suddenly realised there was 2 extra jumps!! Argh! So he had a pole which was my fault, not focussed.

Onto the 80cm. Well, the first half was fine, second half the jumps were huge. Everyone was complaining, they were up to my hip and I'm 5'4" so I think some were more like 90cm or 3'. I didn't think we'd get round, I expected the poles to come down. He kept them all up, 4th out of about 30 :D I really lacked steering at some points but I am amazed by him :wub:

Well done CP! The dressage was not a disaster by a long way, he was just rather tight and tense so didn't work over his back or use his back end very well. He was a tad overbent most of the time and you seemed to have quite a grip on him. Work on getting him to lengthen his frame, lower his poll and lift his back, then the other end will start to work. On a postive note he was obedient and looked reasonably accurate, it was a very good try. Jumping is obviously his thing and as you were more relaxed he was too, he's quite clever when he gets a bit close and can sort himself out. I thought you rode him very nicely and were there for him when he had a bit of a wiggle, improving the dressage will certainly help with the jumping. He's a super, honest chap and a credit to you, you are right to be well chuffed, that was a good result!

Thank you, will keep working on it PW. I really struggle getting the back end going, he's so short and compact with his little legs and dodgy hocks I think he finds it hard. As I can only ever hack I.do all my schooling in straight lines and although I ask him to do lots of transitions and lateral stuff I loose the benefits of circles and schooling movements. Also his neck is so short I do struggle to tell if he's overbent or not. Sometimes I can feel it but sometimes not. I grew up riding thoroughbred types with nice long slender necks :laugh: Will keep on with the stretching and trying to get that hind end going!!

We like our jumping :) I watched the video a few times and at one point he throws in a flying change to help himself out (without me asking), he's clever like that. I was pushing him on round the jump off but I started to severely lack in steering ! and it got a bit scary!

Well done CP :biggrin:

Am trying to decide whether to do a dressage on the 20th Jan. It's at Myerscough and they are running both intro tests, so I could do them both. My instructor is going along and might be taking her 18hh boy for a trip out. Am thinking that it would be nice to get back out there, and the fact it is a walk trot test will take the pressure off us a bit (as we are not quite there yet with the canter). When he goes nicely in the trot he is fab, but it is just getting him to chill and soften and listen that can sometimes be a challenge, so if we are doing both intro tests, he should be settled by the second one. My only worry is that it is 3 days before my holiday, so if he is an idiot and throws me off and I break a leg or something, I will miss my holiday :rolleyes:

Well done CP :biggrin: He is so tidy in his jumping I think he needs to have a word with Loki :laughingsmiley:

Lack of turn out is a nightmare Gooster think you have done the right thing in trying the other field. Ooh go to dressage you'll be fine I've gone eventing just before holidays before, OH mentioned it but it had never crossed my mind as being an issue :biggrin:

So PW have you a new addition to your herd, you mad women :D

Banner put her tiny little hoof down rather firmly regarding the addition of another pony. She does not want me spending more time away from her than is strictly necessary, looking after Lilli and Wanda is allowed but NO MORE! I have to remember that she is an international superstar (diva) and deserves undivided attention. Bossy little madam! I must get a photo of Special Lilli, I did think she would grow a bit more as her dad was 13hh but she is growing outwards and is like a little tank, fortunately she has grown into her head, she would have been decidedly odd looking if she had not!

It would seem that all the free ponies have been offered homes, I just hope they are genuine and the ponies will be looked after. The river ponies are being cared for by a local rescue group, no owners have come forward, how can you lose a pony and not be in a total panic? Possibly more to this one than originally thought.

Banner put her tiny little hoof down rather firmly regarding the addition of another pony. She does not want me spending more time away from her than is strictly necessary, looking after Lilli and Wanda is allowed but NO MORE! I have to remember that she is an international superstar (diva) and deserves undivided attention. Bossy little madam! I must get a photo of Special Lilli, I did think she would grow a bit more as her dad was 13hh but she is growing outwards and is like a little tank, fortunately she has grown into her head, she would have been decidedly odd looking if she had not!

It would seem that all the free ponies have been offered homes, I just hope they are genuine and the ponies will be looked after. The river ponies are being cared for by a local rescue group, no owners have come forward, how can you lose a pony and not be in a total panic? Possibly more to this one than originally thought.

I like many others watch Olympia over Christmas on the telly and I thought what a pity they didnt have any pony agility on...I bet people would have loved it

Yeah but our school copes with wet but it freezes really easily so no riding, which having just got him going again would be very frustrating!

You'll be fine Gooster, I'm sure he'll settle again now he is back out in the field :flowers:

Got a jumping lesson tomorrow, I decided to hack to venue as don't need to go on the roads to get there, regretting that now and wish I'd gone for the warm car option :laugh:

Phew just a light dusting for us today and no more forecast at this stage, but very cold so I expect the school will be out of action :rolleyes: How is everyone doing?

My lesson was at Heathlands, I will normally go to hers but as she was just down the road holding a riding club clinic thought might as well hack over. Only my second lesson with her but have enjoyed both so far and feeling slightly more positive our issues can be helped (eventually!) :biggrin:

Glad you had a good lesson :)

Blue was a bit of a wally again yesterday - just being an obnoxious little git again. Am a bit worried that his leg may be playing him up again as he started off not listening to me when his leg was bad. Also yesterday he kept twitching his head, so am not sure if he is a bit sore in his poll area :unsure: am going to get his physio out to see him to rule out anything else. I think he is trying to wriggle out of his dressage at the weekend :angry: :rolleyes: