UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

I'd be miffed too but what is your arrangement with her? Normally I'd expect someone to want to do all those things anyway as its part of the fun, otherwise she might as well go to a riding school, just wondering if she realises that she can help or even that you have to do those things!

I agree, I would be a bit surprised but maybe she didn't know what was expected. I would expect most sharers etc would just at the chance to bring in, groom, tack up before the lesson but depends what she wants I guess :)

How are we all doing in the snow? Fortunately we didn't have much, the weather was horrid though so my lesson was cancelled, am hoping to get one in the week instead to catch up before my competition. Feel really sorry for all those up north who have had several feet of snow :(

Bernie just wanted a horse to ride, she does give Blue his afternoon haynet on a Sunday, so maybe she thinks that is enough to not need to help tack him up or untack him :unsure:

Had an interesting lesson on him yesterday - he hadn't been out in the field for a week as the weather has been too bad. Cue lots of spook and bomb across the menage in canter :laugh: We now have a good coping mechanism for that though - sit up and kick him on in the canter. He is that lazy that he thinks oh no, mum wants me to canter, then falls back to trot :laugh: :rolleyes: Hopefully now the light nights are here, we will be able to ride a bit more :)

I was super brave tonight and hacked Blue out all on my own :biggrin: Bernie was supposed to be having a lesson on him, but my instructor cancelled as her gran is poorly. So I said to Bernie she could still ride if she wanted. Anyway, when I got to the yard, Bernie had decided she was too tired after her first week in a new job to ride unless she had a lesson. As I had carried my tack down from the car and it was a beautiful sunny evening, I decided to see if we could go down the lane and come back.

He wasn't too happy with that idea and dropped his shoulder and span around, so we went up the lane until I decided to turn around and try again. He tried to plant and spin again, but a boot and a growl to walk on got him going, even though his head was in the air and he was snorting at everything :rolleyes: Anyway, I started singing various songs, and he really chilled out, so we didn't just go to the bottom of the lane, but all around the country park :biggrin: There was an interesting moment when some kids hid in a hedge and jumped out running and screaming at us. When I told then to stay back so Blue didn't kick out, they started throwing sticks at us :angry: Blue was ok though, just jumped a bit and tensed up :) My singing (once the horrid kids were out of earshot) settled him back down again :)

• Like 1

Rode Phoebe today for the first time in a few months, hurt my back so was taking things easy.

Hack was really lovely and it was a gorgeous day.....no better way to spend the afternoon.

Hopefully heading again on Sunday though car out of action so relying on borrowing my friends.

As regards sharing......I muck out, groom, tack up and generally do the stuff the owner does, as someone else said its part of the fun.

Well I was all geared up for dressage yestetday...cancelled! Argh! I've spent a fortune on.lessons this week so was gutted.

As an alternative, we are off out jumping tomorrow with a friend. She very kindly offered me a lift :)

You'll all be very jealous of me this week, I'm house sitting for the family.who own milo's field so for the next week he's literally at the bottom of the garden. Luxury :)

Went out today and I am so proud I could burst :D

My friend told me the event was a eventers challenge. Looked it up on YouTube, watched people do about 10 sj, jump out of the arena and then do about 5 xc jumps to finish. That's fine I thought, all xc stuff straight forward.

Arrived this morning to walk the course, only 8 jumps SJ and they'd opened up the entire xc course so we had to do all 20 obstacles :O not only that, there were steps down which were huge which I've never done on him, a water complex and jump out which I've never done, a ditch, and a big roll top up onto a bank for the finish.

I went into it being as positive as I could. He went clear SJ and so proceeded to jump out of the arena, and he was off. He was amazing. He did t get strong at all, I had gears - I chose to take it pretty steady obviously as we haven't been xc for such a long time. He popped straight down the huge steps, trotted straight in the water, we cruised round. He really surprised me, he was so cool about the whole thing, so bold...he didn't even prick his ears in curiosity, just got straight on with it.

So we ended up with a double clear but too slow for a place, but I was overjoyed with him.

Also to mention, he travelled like an angel in my friends trailer with her 17hh tb and didn't hear a peep from him.

Overall, a mega proud mummy today :D

• Like 2

Yay, way to go Milo and Sam!

No turnout for a fair while here, the fields are not showing a blade of grass. The sheltands and baby horses go out in the daytime but are waiting to come in at 4pm. All the others are still in winter turnouts but are getting ratty, they want out! Wanda is being a prize moo and a rotten bully, for such a nice horse she can change in an instant and I have to admit when she has her ears flat back and is snaking her neck she bears a remarkable resemblance to a camel. Don't ever tell her I said that! :)

• Like 1

Hehe, giggling about wanda the camel :D

Have got dressage on Saturday, doing intro a (5 people in my class, wahoo!) and then I'm going to have a bash at prelim 4.

I let him have a couple of days off after his efforts last weekend and he's been quite fiery out hacking this week so not feeling particularly optimistic or prepared!

Will let you know how it goes...

How's everyone else getting on?

Good luck, am sure he will be fine :flowers:

I haven't seen Blue since Tuesday, as I work late on a Weds and once a month he is on full livery on a Thursday so I can go to the pub quiz. This meant that Bernie had to tack him up and bed him down tonight after her lesson. Apparently he was fab in her lesson tonight - hope he hasn't used up all his good behaviour as I am riding him tomorrow :laugh: