UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Aww CP, hope she bucks her ideas up soon :flowers:

Blue has got thrush in his left hind foot. Have had him for 5 years and he has never had thrush before :( I feel like such a bad owner :( Have been hibiscrubbing it and purple spraying it every night to try and get rid.

Whilst at the farm tonight, one of the ponies had got herself worked up and was a bit colicy. Her owner kept popping up to see her, and tried to ring the vet but had no answer. She uses the lady vet who charges a fortune, but she only has a mobile number, so if her mobile is flat, you can't get hold of her. Kath was going back up again in a bit to check if Lillie had had a poop, and then hopefully she will have had pop and all will be fine...

Thats bad CP, I'd be having words with her Dad if I were you.

We moved fields today and it will be a Christmas miracle if Loki comes in with any of his shoes on tonight the way they were charging around, I did tell him he was going jumping with CP and Milo on Saturday and our farrier is not working this week so he had better control himself but looked like he soon forgot :rolleyes:

Don't feel bad Gooster with this wet weather foot problems are inevitable, hope the colicy horse is better today :flowers:

Colicy horse is feeling ok this morning, she had a poo last night when her owner went back up to check her, and she is back to normal this morning apparently.

Hoping Loki keeps all his shoes on in his new field :flowers:

Enjoy the jumping on Saturday guys :)

Thanks for making me feel better about Blue having thrush. I just remember a comment my last farrier made when he was telling me about one of his clients whose horse had maggots in its frog. He said that the owner wasn't bothered, whereas most normal owners would be horrified if their horses got thrush. That really stuck with me and am now resolving to make sure to check his feet every day without fail - usually check them most days, but sometimes don't it am in a rush :rolleyes:

Did Loki keep all his shoes on?

Hacked Blue out today - not hacked him out for a while. All things considering, he was a good boy. However I couldn't use any leg on him otherwise he would have been off like a rocket :laugh: :rolleyes: Put him in the field when we got back - the little bugger found the muddiest bit and had a good roll :angry: His rug was disgusting when I brought him in and the rest of him was caked in mud. Minging pony :laugh: :wub:

Hehe, its aways the way!

I have a question for you dressage peeps! I'm doing intro B on Friday, part of the test is a 20m circle at A in trot and it says allowing the horse to stretch. I've been watching videos on YouTube but I'm still none the wiser. What's the best way to do it? Lengthen the reins...give hands forwards...? I've been a good girl and been practicing all my pointers from last time :)

Edited by cabbagepatch88

Yep Loki kept his shoes on but our lesson was cancelled due to waterlogged school :rolleyes_anim:

There are different ways to encourage the stretch, if Loki has been working properly all I need to do if offer the rein and he will take it forward, if he isn't and I need to ask I widen and lower my hands into plenty of leg, I'd have a play and see what works best for you and Milo, have fun on Friday and hope you have a photographer going with you :biggrin:

*Ahem* Gooster did you not promise us some video from your lesson :whistle:

I did, Claire didn't bring the pen drive with her today. She has also put videos that she took a while ago on the pen drive - she says you can really see the difference in his paces from then and now. I wasn't looking forward to my lesson today as it was throwing it down. However someone must have been smiling down on me, as the rain stopped as we got into the school :biggrin: He was taking the mick a bit at the beginning and really ignoring my leg, so Claire got on him for me to see what was going on. She got him going well, then I got back on. He was really good after that - did lots of canter work and his canter was fab :)

Hopefully hacking him out again tomorrow after I have been to the gym (weather permitting). I think there are a few of us going :)

Happy New Year everyone!!! its my first day back today...

I resolve this year to lose weight, and give up smoking!!.... Im going to see the therapist at my GPs for some help with both...we shall see how it goes....:)...but think of the money I will save!!

Happy new year. Good luck with the resolutions Grace - well done for not trying to go it alone. With support from someone else, you will succeed :)

Our hack on Blue turned out to be an interesting one. There were 5 of us who went out, and Blue was really good pootling down the lane, snorted a bit, but nothing major. Then when we turned off the road, one of the other horses started having a dicky fit and spinning, rearing, bucking and just being naughty. At this point, I had got Blue over the scary drainage channel on the footpath, so when he saw Abi being a wally, he decided it would be fun to join in. So he ran off stargazing and spinning, bucking, rearing, and just being a bit of an idiot. I shouted at him and stopped him spinning and got him going forwards on a contact, then he settled down. In the meantime, Emma got off Abi and Abi was spinning, cantering on the spot and just being really naughty. At this point, the YO, who was on her way out shopping, stopped her car and came to help. Emma then got back on Abi, and all was well for a couple of minutes, before she started again. Thankfully there is another path out of the country park, so we just went out of the park and came home. I figured that we were better using the other path, so that they didn't notice us turning around and going home. On out way out of the park, Abi set off again, so Emma just gave up and got off her. Blue was fine, just snorty going up the hill back up to the farm :rolleyes: Norty ponies :laugh:

Happy new year grace, good for you!

Gooster what a nightmare. I have to say I have very little tolerance for silly behaviour like that, fortunately Earl was fine to hack and MIlo too doesn't bat at eyelid. I can imagine its so difficult though trying to calm them down when they get like that, especially in groups. Fingers crossed you can get him out for a nice hack!

I can't believe I'm saying this but I am actually looking forward to dressage on Friday :laugh: I've really been working on the consistent contact issue and I don't want to speak too soon but we've really cracked it. Now I've said that he'll be in giraffe head land on Friday!

We're out jumping on Saturday, I got him some new posh boots at Olympia so looking forward to looking all posh.

I clipped him yesterday and he was the best behaved he's ever been. He didn't try to kill me at all :laugh: I did a bit of a custom clip this time, I basically left the hair where an exercise sheet would go. I took the neck and shoulders off, came straight down from the whither and then tapered off at the stifle. I cleverly left it there because he tries to kick me in the head if I attempt the stifle area! He looks most bizarre, all his patches of clipped hair are chocolate brown but the hair left on is black. So he's tri coloured for the moment...

Well there was only 5 people in my Intro B class this evening but im pleased to report that we won with 70.43% :D

Milo was an absoloute star, I was absoloutely awful. I was concentrating so hard on the consistant contact and all that jazz and didnt ride a single bit of the test properly :laugh: We agued down the centre line, I overshot or undershot most of my lines, didnt go into the corners, the free walk was way too fast and hurried, the stretch in trot wasnt a stretch at all...urgh it was just horrendous. However, we had a lovely consistant outline throughout the test, which is what our main pointers were from last time.

It was a different judge so I was pleased with the score, I thought maybe the last person was maybe just really generous and gave me 66.9% last time, so to get 70.43% this time was really pleasing. The comment at the end was "What a lovely horse" :wub: Suppose I ought to have a bash at a Prelim aswell next time? :laugh:

Will post the video at some point, off jumping tomorrow so will update tomorrow!

Would you believe that there are three ponies advertised locally as free, one is only 7 months old, poor baby! Then there is a sad post on H & H from a struggling single mum who has a 20 year old horse with a tendon injury. She's looking for a companion home or rescue centre, there is not a chance this side of Hades, she is being advised to PTS which is the only possible outcome! Then there's the place I pass when taking the dogs to the beach, two horses in an absolute bog, ok they have rugs and stables but are hock deep and the stables don't seem to have floors so are just as bad, they are fed though but the owners must be desperate! There were three ponies found last week on the river bank, they appear to have been swept down in the last spate, no-one knows where they came from as yet.

The recession and the weather have caused mayhem in the horse world, it's just so sad!

I'm struggling not to dash off and scoop up the 7 month old! I already have one and two halves, I can't really have another! (Can I)