UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Phoebe :wub:

Thanks for the link Gooster :flowers: Wow what a stunning sketch, a very talented lady!

Was almost very bad and went to the Ascot bloodstock sales in my lunch hour today but thankfully thought better of it, that could only have ended badly :withstupid:

We went to the championships at the weekend and had an ok time but things kind of went against us, had a nightmare week before with Loki not working well at all and full of himself which resulted in not even running through our test as knew it would be bad, so as expected it wasn't our best test it was much like riding a bike downhill with no brakes :laughingsmiley: Was pleasantly suprised to get 33.5 considering we had incorrect canter lead in there as well, but the section was very tight most people on 30 - 36.

Now you won't hear me say this often but the showjumping was tiny! I had to ask the course builder if I was walking the right course, he said they had got lots of complaints last time that it was too testing so they had built it nearer 70cm than 80cm, which is bizarre considering it was a 80cm championships!! I was much happier with our round but to be honest at that height its hard to judge if it was anything I had done, but we came out with one fence down, then slightly shocked to hear we had 8 time faults :confused:

So went off to xc for some fun, was really dissapointed with the course as it was exactly the same as the previous event there, so knew it wasn't going to influence the results at all. Then just as the person before me was about to set off there was a hold on course which resulted in an hour wait until things started again, reports were that a poor lady had broken her leg.

Now my merry team of helpers had buggered off to the water jump to see us come through there, so couldn't get off so ended up standing or walking around a very wet boggy warm up feeling like I wanted to go home. When we got to go he duly made very light work of the course to come home clear well inside the time. On my way back to the trailer I watched a girl on a pony trot round the showjumping and not get any time faults so think something must have gone astray with the timing on my round.

So a very odd way to finish the season but still very happy with how things have gone this year, now we're both going to chill out a bit and try and get to grips with the dreaded showjumping!

• Like 1

Well done Clare :flowers: you and Loki have done so well this year!

Can I ask you all your opinion on my insurance renewal please? Got my renewal through from petplan today, amazed its only gone up £5 a month after all my claims this year but rang them anyway to put his activity group down a level. The lady on the phone said if I wanted to get ny premium down even further I could change my sum insured ( I can reduce by half) and that would take about £150 off my bill. Now, he is Insured for £2000 because that is what I paid for him, but now I'm thinking as he has his hock issues, Is it worth me keeping it that high or should i reduce it? I can't see his market value being much, an antisocial speedy cob with dodgy hocks! I can't see myself parting with him (nobody else will have him lol) so what would you all do?

Well done Clare :flowers: you and Loki have done so well this year!

Can I ask you all your opinion on my insurance renewal please? Got my renewal through from petplan today, amazed its only gone up £5 a month after all my claims this year but rang them anyway to put his activity group down a level. The lady on the phone said if I wanted to get ny premium down even further I could change my sum insured ( I can reduce by half) and that would take about £150 off my bill. Now, he is Insured for £2000 because that is what I paid for him, but now I'm thinking as he has his hock issues, Is it worth me keeping it that high or should i reduce it? I can't see his market value being much, an antisocial speedy cob with dodgy hocks! I can't see myself parting with him (nobody else will have him lol) so what would you all do?

Well done Clare and Loki :)

It's a difficult one CP, Blue is still insured for the sum I paid for him 5 years ago, he is probably worth less than that now, but the way I look at it, if I do end up claiming for his value, I would rather guarantee am going to get as much as possible - it would be sods law I would reduce his value to say £500, then the week after, he needs to be pts, for whatever reason. I know that getting money back isn't the most important thing, but it would go some way to finding a new friend in the future.

Tricky one, do they actually pay out the sum insured if anything happened or is it like cars and they make the value up as to what they think they should pay?

Not wishing to be morbid but have known quite a few incidences where they refused to pay because it has been a human decision not a total necessity, for example if a horse was in pain because of navicular and the decision was made it was kindest to the horse to be pts they a. wouldn't pay if navicular was a known problem, and b wouldn't pay as it was the owners choice to put the horse down.

I don't think it would be a major risk to reduce his value as insurance companies will wriggle out of paying if they can unfortuantly

• Like 1

If you drop his value do check the level of vet cover you get, I dropped Wanda to 2k, any less and her vet cover would have gone down to 3k. It's easy to get to 3k these days, YO's horse had a tiny wound on his hock, turned out it was a puncture and he was in horspital for days, had to have surgery to flush out the hock and ran up a huge bill, he has arthritic hocks but the external visible injury was still covered.

Good point Clare, a 5 year old on the yard had crippling arthritis in the upper hock joints,every possible treatment had been carried out with no success, insurance would not pay out as they said he could be a field ornament on bute!

Loss of use is shockingly expensive, fortunately I had it on Dobbin and it paid for her funeral.

Gorgeous piccie of Blue :wub: and well done Clare & Loki :wub:

Talking of insurance...ive been pondering about getting insurance through the BHS, it covers public liability and personal accident. Do you think I should take it out?

Brought home Phoebes tack to clean, god I forgot how long it takes though I did enjoy it, also mucked out today which is something I havent done in years, I can see me getting all OCD and going in with Marigolds :rolleyes:

Another couple of piccies of us last week in the lesson.

561487_4752166364548_611653955_n.jpg

535913_4752166684556_1564845336_n.jpg

552212_4752166844560_1822242271_n.jpg

Had a flatwork lesson this morning and were also practising rein back, half passes and turning on the forehand.....t'was fun.

Hacked Phoebe down for another lesson today, flatwork with no stirrups (I know its beneficial but who in their right mind chooses themselves to do no stirrup work) :wacko:

Think Phoebes owner is possibly going to add me onto their insurance so will save me taking my own out.

Also suggested using their horsebox to take Phoebe for the lessons, save hacking down the road and save nearly an hour.

I have a VW Passat Estate Petrol 2.0L.....should that pull a double box ok :worried:

I hate no stirrup work too - whenever I have lessons with Claire, if she starts a sentence with 'I'm going to be really mean with you now...', I always get worried she is going to take my stirrups off me :laugh:

I personally wouldn't be happy towing my trailer with a 2.0 litre passat, is their trailer an ifor williams? If it is something like a bateson or a cheval liberte, they tend to be a bit lighter, so you might be ok, but my car is a 2.0 turbo diesel 4x4, and I don't think it has the power to tow my trailer (saving up for a landrover defender at the moment). It also isn't just about the pulling the trailer, but stopping the trailer, without it jacknifing and rolling the whole combination over.

Hmmmmm I think its an Ifor Williams.....not 100% sure though, will see on Tuesday as all being well myself and Phoebe are having a lesson at their yard along with Phoebes owner and her new mare Georgie :jumpy:

If the Passat couldnt tow it my housemate aka best friend aka ex has a Transit van (surely that could tow it ok) :worried: