UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Yay Kane pics :wub: I keep meaning to ask how Jade was getting on, so pleased she has found a lovely home :flowers:

Gooster, if the boots will help you then go for it, you will use them and with boots you get what you pay for, they will last for years so actually they are a bargain :biggrin:

I am now the proud owner of a Albion K2 jumping saddle, and am using my own mantra above :laugh:

Aww kane! Another super cob :)

Did our first 30 minute hack today, getting there!!

Gooster its hard isn't it. Like Clare says if you think it will help go for it but I would keep practicing in your show boots so you know you can do it at a show. I would liken it to my theory on bits. In realty, on occasion, monkey can get too strong in a snaffle. I refuse to school him in anything stronger because should I ever wish to have a go at dressage I want to know I can handle him in a legal bit rather than being terrified to let him loose without having a gag in his gob :laugh:

Question- Im currently feeding milo a scoop if chaff and his balancer (and hay) but am wanting to add a little extra now he's coming back into work.

Need to avoid anything that will hype him up as he's Sharp so need to avoid anything heating, so mixes, sugar beet, molasses..

I'm thinking about adding some non heating cubes like spillers but looking at their website the starch content is 16%! Another food I'm looking at is the new cool and collected which is 7.75% starch so quite a huge difference...I've always heard its the starch and sugar content that creates the fizzyness, anyone got any thoughts?

Tbh, i have been thinking about new boots since my last dressage, when we broke canter as I lost my outside stirrup. When first started riding I had some cheapy Dublin jod boots and had the same problem then. As soon as I moved to my mountain horse boots the problem was solved, had been persevering for about 2 years before getting the MH ones (when the Dublin ones died). My instructor couldn't believe the difference in my riding and Blue when I got the MH boots :unsure: The MH boots are dressage legal too... Glad you got hacking out on Milo today, weather was rotten here today and yesterday, so not ridden. How exciting for your new saddle Clare :biggrin:

What about increasing the amount of balancer you give him? I feed Blue the spillers lite balancer and you can feed them more depending on how much work they are in. Blue can be fizzy if his food isn't right, but has been fantastic since he has been in the lite balancer.

Spillers LayOff cubes sent Loki and another horse on the yard loopy so I tend to avoid Spillers now :laugh:

I do love Allen and Page feeds so maybe give the Cool and Collected a go, if you call A&P they will send you a sample and a £3 off voucher :biggrin: I am thinking of changing to that I need to speak to A&P as at the moment he is on Veteran Vitality as I really like the ingredients and at the time they hadn't launched Cool and Collected which is very similar, i guess they found lots of people feeding it to non veterans like me. But he does tend to do too well on VV even at the moment, so I am going to have to change him as he will go into spring as a fatty at this rate :rolleyes:

The CC does have unmolassed sugar beat in it and has to be soaked, but don't let that put you off, as unmolassed sugar beat doesn't fire all horses up, I find it really effective for Loki and it doesn't effect him whereas lots of other feeds do.

I've never fed Allen and page but loads of people I speak to love them. My friend fed VV to her elderly pony and he went from looking like a hat rack to a show pony!!!

I think I will give CC a go when we start trotting just to give him a bit extra. He's on the spillers balancer at the mo and I can't fault it, he's kept a lovely topline despite being out of work, his coat is shiny, his hooves are growing at a rate of knots and his behaviour has been perfect - oh and its very good value for money!

They also do a 'cool fibre' chaff I thought I might try too...

I emailed Allen and Page a few days ago to ask what I should do regarding Milo's feed and I had a wonderfully helpful response today.

They say the Cool and Collected would be brilliant for him, and I can feed it on its own without chaff or the balancer. She said if im worried that im not feeding the reccomended levels I can add a vit/min supplement to make sure he's getting enough.

Theyre also sending me a free sample and a £3 off voucher just for enquiring, what a lovely company :wub:

I think I will slowly move him onto that when we start our trot work (hopefully 2 weeks time) and see how we get on. Fingers crossed!

Oh no im so sorry :mecry: :GroupHug: :GroupHug: Gallop free again lovely girl :wub:

Allen and Page have their customer service really sorted, they are fab :biggrin:

Glad the weather has calmed down today. I attempted to ride yesterday and nearly got blown out of the saddle, when the mounting block went flying over the fence I thought perhaps it was time to admit defeat :rolleyes:

So sorry Louise :mecry: Great result from a&p CP :biggrin: Had a good lesson on Blue tonight. We got soaking wet, but he worked beautifully :wub: I wore my mountain horse jod boots, and despite the fact it was chucking it down, my feet didn't slip once. I also tried to make sure my knees weren't gripping the saddle. Must have tired him out though, as he fell asleep whilst I was mucking him out :laugh: :rolleyes:

Aww Blue :wub: its nice when they look like they worked as hard as we have :laugh:

Im fed up with January already, wanted to, well actually more should have, gone showjumping on Sunday but have no money, and then next month I need to register Loki with BE and also have car tax (forgot that until nasty brown envelope came through the door :mecry: ) and MOT which will include two new tyres so nothing going spare next month either, then its March and very close to hopefully my first BE event :unsure: Already feeling underprepared :rolleyes:

How is everyone getting on? January already so almost over the worst of winter (hopefully!) :biggrin:

Brrrrrr, it's so cold today!

Had a lesson on Blue tonight and he was really good. I was planning on entering a dressage next weekend, but the weekend after, I need mum and dad to take me to the airport at an ungodly hour, so might be asking a bit too much asking them to give up next weekend too :unsure: After how he went tonight though, I really want to go :rolleyes: :laugh: