UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Glad you have a diagnosis for Milo :flowers:

Loki is looking ace Clare! I only ever tried jumping in a dressage saddle once, but forgot to shorten my stirrups, so I ended up flying over his head when he catleapt the jump from a standstill! Given up on jumping now!

Dressage this weekend, got 2 tests to do, P7 and P12. Not even looked at them yet :rolleyes: Good job my instructor has, so she knows what we need to work on in lessons :laugh:

At least you know where your are now CP and he'll be fine. I wish I'd had my camera this morning when Sam took Wanda for some canter work in the field. Wanda looked superb and was seriously bonkers and as I've said, she's had a lot of steroid treatment. CP, has the vet discussed Tildren at all, if you are claiming on your insurance I'd go for it!

I went to see a driving pony on Sunday, the 18 year old fell. She was very sweet and drove well but I'm concerned that she hasn't been in work for about 6 months so lacking muscle big time, that she's 18 and she's been in the same home for 15 years. I do think she would be very unsettled and take a lot of work to bring back to any sort of fitness so I'm going to pass.

I'm going to see a 6 year old Welsh C, she's a chunky little thing and I can have her on trial, she does have a cleft palate though. I've discussed with the vet and he will come have a look at her for me, she gets a mucky nose and water will come down her nostril when she drinks, only on one side though. Vet thinks if she's got to 6 without problems then she is coping with her condition and she should be fine. Watch this space!

I have to find a sharer for Wanda and I'm going to find it hard to do! I can't see I'll ever ride again so with the driving pony I'll have four, it's just I pay for Wanda to be hacked or schooled 5 days a week and the other two I lunge her so the cost mounts up for a horse I can't ride. I would never part with her and she will stay on the yard, any sharer will have to come with a recommendation from the Queen and Zara Phillips! I don't want a teenager or for some reason a bloke, I can't have anyone with children as they are not allowed on the yard (yipee), mmm, this is getting difficult already! :biggrin:

He did say to me the last time he came out that he would advise me to put Milo on a joint supplement but we havnt discussed it any further. Im with PetPlan insurance and in their wording they say you can claim for any "complementary" stuff approved by your vet so if he does suggest it I will ask if I can claim for it. I will discuss all that on Friday :rolleyes:

Good luck pony hunting :biggrin: My dad keeps asking me when i'll find a sharer for Milo because he thinks im completely mad going to see him twice a day. I keep telling him that a) I do actually enjoy it! and b) it wouldnt be easy finding someone to ride him who he wouldnt terrify the life out of :laugh: but in reality I couldnt bare to share him :wub:

I think the vet can provide a supplement which might make it easier claiming on insurance :flowers:

There have been lots of articles lately about the effectiveness of green lipped mussels, apparently it has now been scientifically proved it does help, whereas a lot of other supplements have no proof their products work! Its a bit of a mindfield :rolleyes:

Will see if I can find anything online

Here you go Linky

Edited by Clare

I would struggle to accept anyone sharing Blue as well, he's my little man and I'd rather him be an expensive lawnmower than let anyone else ride him (apart from my instructor, but as she has 4 of her own, doubt she'd have the time :laugh: )

Schooled Blue last night, he was really good. Managed to get the nice trot out of him that I usually only get from him in a lesson :biggrin: Didn't get home till after 9pm though by the time I had done all my jobs :rolleyes:

Lol the time tunnel that is the yard, where does the time go :laugh: Glad you had a good schooling session :biggrin:

My instructor gave me a tip off that a fantastic chiropractor (also qualified vet and farrier!) I had used once, then he decided we were out of his area :rolleyes: has started doing a clinic locally every two months, so gave them a call and he is out on Friday and the venue isn't too far away so got booked in which is a real result :biggrin:

I've been poorly this week so Loki not done anything since Sunday, I hate the feeling of not doing anything with him but trying to be sensible and telling myself a week off isn't the end of the world!

Ah you'll be fine Gooster :flowers: Hope you will you have your photographer with you :biggrin:

Very interesting time with chiropractor, ignoring the stress of going to a yard with a car park not big enough to swing a cat let alone trailer :rolleyes:

Now I never know how much these people say what you want to hear but he found among other things Loki had 8 ribs "out" which would have a huge effect on his breathing and would pretty much make it impossible for his lungs to move and expand, and he would only be capable of shallow rapid breaths :unsure:

He was happy with him after treatment and said hopefully that should be enough to put him right.

So we shall see what happens, he wants him out hacking as soon as possible to get used to being able to move his rib cage during exercise and after Monday we can crack on. Im not getting my hopes up that we may finally have got an answer to what has been going on but it will be interesting to see what happens in the next few days :wink:

Just before all the problems started I saw him charging round the field, he ran at the fence and then tried to stop and it was slippery so his front end stopped and his back end kept going, he didn't fall but he did get in enough of a pickle to rip a hind shoe off. Chiro thinks the things he found were all done at the same time, so makes sense why he went from incredibly well and happy to feeling wrong in such a short space of time.

I have had other chiros check him inbetween but this guy is a different league so perhaps he has found something they have missed, or he is spinning me a good line :laugh:

Hope Milo's treatment went well :flowers:

Milo all medicated :) he's in til Monday morning now, then its 4 weeks rest followed by 4 weeks ridden walk work then he will be reassessed.

The vet was very positive and said he thinks having just the one lot of injections should sort him out. He gave me 2 months supply of a joint supplement only available through vets, I can claim for that on my insurance. It's called Equi4S, don't know if anyone else has used it?

Not used that one CP, I have Wanda on Simple System's Joint Eclipse and it seems to be working wonders. (Or Wanda's)

I had the physio out to Baby Lilli today, I have some concerns about her development, her action is stilted and she doesn't look at anyone or interact much. Physio says her range of movement in the joints is fine, that's when she can be convinced she actually can move them. She is a little concerned about's Lilli's right eye, there doesn't seem to be much reaction to a very basic threat test so when we have a vet on the yard I will have her looked at. It does seem that the odd action is the result of her breeding, a 34" mini shet and a 13hh stallion is an odd mix, Lilli is bum high and bum wide which could cause the peg legs look. Mum Banner is a well bred mini but a bit odd shaped, she can move like silk though and does a superb almost extended trot so no inherited problems from that side, Baby Lilli is just a poor mix.

Physio also thought that as Banner has a huge 16.2hh character she overwhelms Baby Lilli by her presence and it may be an idea to put them in seperate stables to allow Lilli to develop a bit of independance and then maybe she will come out of her shell, she can also do some pole work in the arena to see if she can find out where her legs are. Maybe I should drop the Baby prefix, she is 16 months old now! :laugh: I have to let my baby grow up!

Fingers crossed the physio has mended Loki :flowers:

Hope Milo is feeling better now he has had his injections - you'll be back riding him before long :)

Poor baby Lilli, hopefully the pole work will help her come out of her shell a bit :)

Dressage tomorrow :unsure: Had a good lesson on Blue last night, although have come down with a cold/lurgy type thing. Not what I want right before a show :rolleyes: Rode through the tests last night, think we'll have fun trying to get a balanced trot after the canter across the diagonal in p12. Last night he wasn't for coming back balanced at all. Fingers crossed he'll be a bit more balanced in a proper sized flat indoor :) Will have mum and dad to take pics again.

Just on way home from dressage. Had a really nice day, we got 63% in the p7 and came 8th out of 18. He warmed up better for the second test, but my boot slipped through my stirrup in the second canter so that went a bit wrong. Still got 63.6% though and that was with 2 points knocked off for saluting with my whip in my hand :rolleyes: Am kicking myself for doing that :rolleyes: