UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Yay!! Went to a dressage comp on Saturday,first outing in ages because of my hip problems. Wanda and Kim decided they loved each other so much they would be devastated if parted, cue Kim going in for the first test and shrieking 'Wanda, where are you', and to have Wanda shrieking back, 'I'm out here, come back Kim'. Needless to say Kim's first test, P10 bore no resemblance to the test sheet as she introduced halfpass over the boards and spooking at H followed by more spooking at H! Then she did an 8ft sideways for no apparent reason and a bucking fit! Sam came out snorting with laughter. Wanda did an ok if a tad lumbering test and ended up 4th which I don't think she deserved.

Kim went in for P13 and as she had had some serious schooling between tests she did a much better test and ended up 4th. Wanda's P13 was a bit dire as she had tired herself out with all the shrieking and turned into a donkey! :laugh:

It was a fun sort of day and we all enjoyed it, my boots did not hurt which was a plus and after everyone saying I was mad to got after having had a steroid injection in the hip on Thursday (ouch)I had no problems at all. More yay!!!!

Well done, glad you had a good day!! I was planning on doing a dressage next weekend, bur as I haven't seen Blue for 2 weeks, let alone schooled him, am not sure if it is a good idea. Will see how he is when I school him later.

Whilst on holiday we visited the Exmoor Pony Centre, and I have to say we were really disappointed. When we got there, nobody acknowledged us, there was nothing said about the ponies or what the purpose of the centre was. They advertise rides out on the ponies, but the only information I could find about that was in a leaflet stand advertising all the local attractions. Turns out a 2 hour pony trek was £40, and you had to groom and tack up yourself. I suppose for someone without a horse, this might seem like good value, but if I want to ride Blue for 2 hours, it costs me nothing. I think if I was on my own, I'd have probably done it, but as there was 3 of us, it would have been sn expensive day!!

:laugh: :laugh: @ Wanda and Kim

Got to stables this morning Annie called as did Bumble..nothing from Fern. Yep, she was flat out on the floor with colic again :mecry: Vets have been and luckily its only a mild bout today so not as bad as last time. Vet is doing an intensive redworm worming program as he said lots of 'wild' mountain ponies tend to have redworm which can cause bouts of colic. Through talking to her previous owners it appears shes not had a proper worming course before so if it is that now i have to worry about is how much damage has been done through worms.Fern is offically mine as her owner doesnt want her back.

Does this make sense and will it work... Fern is terrified of having headcollars put on and taken off. She literally throws herself around in a panic. As a result she has one on 24/7 which i dont like doing. If i keep her headcollar on and use a second headcollar to put on and off over her normal headcollar will that help getting her used to one. Shes fine once its on but she seems genuinely scared of it going on her head. This way i could use her normal headcollar and rope to try and keep her still whilst we practise with the 2nd headcollar. Obviously i wont keep 2 headcollars on her it'd be taken off after a moment or two.

Poor Fern :GroupHug: Glad its only a mild case and hopefully a worming programme will sort it :flowers:

Headcollar training makes perfect sense as although keeping a head collar on her is needed it isn't getting her used to it being put on which it appears is what she doesn't like. Sounds like you may need to sprout some extra arms though :laugh:

Wanda and Kim are in lurve :D :laugh: Lovely to hear you are out and about with her again and reasonably pain free hopefully :flowers:

Ah go for it Gooster, sometimes less is more :flowers: If he is fit and well then why not! Before you know it we'll be battling through snow and ice so make the most of our lovely summer and if you're lucky it'll only be raining and blowing a gale :laugh:

Headcollar training makes perfect sense as although keeping a head collar on her is needed it isn't getting her used to it being put on which it appears is what she doesn't like. Sounds like you may need to sprout some extra arms though :laugh:

http://magicsownlittleworld.blogspot.com/2011/08/mad-about-boy.html

The above link is for a Blog horse being clicker trained, including halter training - he actually puts his own head in the headcollar..

Thanks for link i shall have a good look at that :flowers:

Thinking of leaving horses out for a few nights as Fern starts her worming tonight just a bit worried in case she gets a bit colicky again especially if meds start shifting anything. I have to examine her poo in great detail..lovely!

My vet bill currently stands at a mere £601 :mecry:

:GroupHug: :GroupHug: to you and Fern :flowers:

Definitely not doing the dressage with Blue this weekend, when I got to the farm yesterday discovered that the cut he managed to get once I had been away for all of 2 days, was quite large and sore looking. It is healing well though and should be fine, but it is quite a lot bigger than I expected!! He looks a bit of a bugger though, so whilst in dressage, it doesn't matter if they have a few scabs, they'll be disqualifying us if we compete with this cut!!

Blue has also started to go a bit fluffy, so his rug has gone on!! The clippers are not coming out till October, so his winter coat can bog off!!

Jumping in lesson on Friday this week though don’t know if I’ll manage to remember to do anything different with my legs other than getting over jump :laugh: will see what happens.

Flatwork lesson today, 20m circle at A, smaller circles at A, same at C, 3 looped serpentines, figures of 8, light seat and repeat, jeez I was bloody knackered :rolleyes:

Instructor took me to the side today and said she thinks I need to move to a different lesson with another couple of girls as im a bit more advanced than the girls I ride with at the minute, gonna do 1 lesson with each and see how that goes. I like riding with my friends but if we’re at different levels its difficult to teach I suppose. Will still ride Magic with other girls too :wub:

Wanda and Kim :wub:

Poor Fern hope she’ll be ok :GroupHug:

Awwww Blue are you starting to feel the cold already :wub:

Sounds like your lessons are going really well and at least you'll still have them on Magic :flowers:

Left horses out last night and Fern is fine, she loves her panacur guard the cinnamon and apple flavour. I've never seen such a clean bucket it literally shone :laugh: Didnt think to ask vets but i imagine Bumble and Annie will need the same treatment. At £20 a bottle for wormer and repeated in a month its going to be a fortune but if it has to be done then so be it.The full course for Fern will be 2 bottles, Bumble will be about 2 and Annie 3 bottles. Still its only money :wacko: :laugh: :laugh:

Googled redworm last night, who needs to read thriller/scary books when you can read that instead :wacko:

Edited by collies r best

Aww poor Blue, hope he heals quickly :flowers:

Glad Fern is fine this morning :wub:

Ouch at the vet bill, I am still waiting to hear if the insurance is going to pay up on Loki, no reason not to but I know insurance companies will get out if they can. Wish they would hurry up its a big weight on my shoulders at the moment.

That sounds a good plan EAD you get the best of both that way. Your riding has come on so much it would be a shame not to go on :biggrin:

Loki really not progressing at the moment, three times I have now seem the other boys running around and him just standing watching :mecry: I have started taking him for little walks, its hard to tell if he is enjoying it as he is so well mannered and walks behind my shoulder and if I look round to see if he is looking happy or not he automatically stops

A pic of sicknote from our walk yesterday

Aug 11 resized.JPG