UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Aw lovely Loki :biggrin: He makes it look easy!

When I was in my teens I used to jump about 1m on a crazy chesnut mare. Nowdays anything more than 2'3" looks enormous to me :laugh: Im getting more confident, purely because ive watched my instructor loose jump Milo over about 3ft so I know he can do it and make it look easy. The last grid I did was about 2'3" and he popped over them no problem, its just getting myself sorted out :rolleyes: I'll see if I can get the bf to video me..

Oh fab thats 5 miles from me!! :biggrin: I will keep an eye out for that one. Providing Milo doesnt kill me at Easter :rolleyes:

I am seriously freaked out, we have a quite ill horse on the yard, tonight I was stroking his face and doing a bit of Ttouch when I got the most awful feeling from him. It was so bad I jumped back and said eeek or yeuch or something, Sam saw it and said crikey, what happend there. I can't even put into words what I felt, it was sort of deep sadness or dispair but much, much worse, there isn't a word for it. I just could not touch him again but now I wish I had, I do pick up feelings a lot but never anything like this or anywhere near as strong. It's left me a bit battered to tell the truth, do you think he was trying to tell me how he was feeling or am I bonkers?

Edited by Pendlewitch

Blimey, I think he was trying to tell you how he was feeling. I would try it again tomorrow and see if you get the same feeling again :flowers:

No you're not mad :biggrin: i can pick up very strong emotions from animals, you obviously picked up on how hes feeling but you need to go back to him he needs you as you understand :flowers:

I agree :flowers: If you possibly can please go to him again :GroupHug:

I'm in a cleft stick really, he's not my horse but is really seriously not well, owner loves him to bits but is blinkered to his condition. If I do 'talk' to him and he lets me know he is in pain or feels horrible then as I can't do anything I would have let him down. If he has realised I can 'talk' to him and I don't then I'm still lettting him down, don't know what to do.

Whats everyone been up to? Its lovely to see the mornings and evenings getting so much lighter, roll on the clock change and evening hacking :biggrin:

Had a fab jump x clinic on Sunday, and think I am looking forward going to xc schooling at Tweseldown on Saturday, hope he behaves better than the last xc clinic we did :rolleyes:

Not sure if I mentioned but my farrier is using Loki's hind feet as a case study, because they are just as bad, well a lot worse now, than his front feet.

So on Tuesday farrier and his vet arrived and did lots of xrays and he now has very smart remedial shoes on the hinds too :rolleyes: It will be interesting what my instructor says next weekend, as although I have only ridden him once since having them on, he didn't feel half a croked as he has been, and standing on the yard his feet actually point forward instead of slightly outwards which I alway thought was due to his back problems :unsure:

I might be thinking of entering this My link not sure if im being a bit too ambitous though :closedeyes:

Do it!!! Which level would you do?

Glad he feels straighter with new shoes on.

We are fine, still having weekly lessons with my fab instructor. He was quite good last week but did throw in a few spooks, and bucked when I flicked him with the whip when he wasn't responding to my leg! Cheeky little monster!

We are still aiming for prelim 4 on Easter Sunday, going to hopefully start canter work in a few weeks to try and build my confidence up in that. If not, I'll email the organiser and ask if I can do the intro test this time.

I'm in a cleft stick really, he's not my horse but is really seriously not well, owner loves him to bits but is blinkered to his condition. If I do 'talk' to him and he lets me know he is in pain or feels horrible then as I can't do anything I would have let him down. If he has realised I can 'talk' to him and I don't then I'm still lettting him down, don't know what to do.

Been able to talk to someone about how you feel, even when they can do nothing to change it, is very therapeutic. Especially if your nearest and dearest is not able to handle the truth. Let him talk, let him know you understand and care :flowers:

Ooh, just found another dressage near me that is doing an intro on the 27th march. Am pondering whether to do that, as we are quite settled in our trot work (most of the time), or whether to wait until the one at Easter. It is intro A, which is quite a nice test.

I suppose it will all hinge on whether I have my trailer by then, and whether mum and dad will tow us there.

Have been reading a few confidence books, which have really helped me (that and the fact that monster has been quite good in my lessons recently). Was going to ride tonight but there was no one else at the farm tonight, and didn't want to risk him being a muppett and me ending up on the floor with no one to help!

Do it Clare :biggrin:

Ive entered my first sponsored ride which is in April :ohmy:

Ive started stepping up Milo's fitness work in preparation which is going well so far. The only problem is that with a full coat he sweats up so much so ive made the decision to have him clipped tomorrow. I know im a bit late with the 'october - feb' rule but nevermind. It takes him such a ridiculously long time to dry off so its really not practical at all!

We've attempted some jumping recently. Up til now I havnt really wanted to do much but as he worked nicely over the grid about a month ago, last week I decided to try and link 2 jumps together in my lesson. We did really well, he's so enthusiastic, and finished the lesson by doing a combination of about 5 different jumps at 2'6". I almost cried at the end, I was so proud of him. Ive still got him in a loose ring french link snaffle and although hes forward going with his jumping I never once felt like he was going to tank off.

We have a really small showjumping show that runs nearly every weekend from march-august across the road from us and they do a clear round ring. The jumping started again today so if im feeling brave I might take him across in the morning. Eeeeeek.

This week ive just focussed on his flat work and done some longer hacks for fitness but had another lesson this evening. Started off with flatwork and then finished off popping a few jumps again. My instructor seems to think hes got a good showjumping style, he stays down and round and then see's the jump with 3 strides to go and just handles the whole thing on his own. In her words "in the nicest possible way, he doesnt need you" :laugh: . I was chuffed with him today too because I made sure that inbetween the jumps and discussing stuff with instructor I made him trot round and he was very sensible and not rushy at all.

If I do make it over to do the clear round tomorrow i'll try and get my boyfriend to come over and video me so you can all see me making a prat of myself :rolleyes:

I managed to have a 'word' with the poorly horse tonight, he is a lot better than he was and the only translation I can put on what I got from him is 'it's a bit of a bugger isn't it'. It was a bit eek as it was so clear but it was not as sad as last time, more conversational! I'm well used to feelings from animals and plants but this talking is a whole new scenario. :unsure:

Wanda is a bit broken and it's all down to me, she is sore in her back and it's because I'm so stiff and twisted. I'm not doing her any favours by riding her which is awful. She can't be ridden for a week now anyway but can lunge. Maybe I should be lunged too!

Been to an auction today and bought Lilli the cutest little saddle, she will need it in three years time so I thought I'd better get on with it. :biggrin:

Edited by Pendlewitch

Oooh have fun at the showjumping tomorrow CP, hope you capture it for us :biggrin:

Go for it Gooster, fingers crossed you have your trailer and driver sorted in time :flowers:

Really pleased you had a better conversation PW, does he have something that is treatable :unsure:

Sorry to hear Wanda is broken, hope you are both back straight and ready for action soon :flowers:

I had a fab time xc schooling :biggrin: For the first time he jumped a big boxed ditch first ask without too much of a huge jump, was so so proud :wub: Did loads of different ditches today and he did them all, in fact he didn't look at anything. There was a photographer there and I am so cross at myself for my overfolding, but I am becoming more and more aware and annoyed at myself so hopefully I can get out of the habit. Instructor did say my stirrups needed to go up and its not helping, so going to attack them with the leather punch tomorrow :rolleyes:

A couple of videos

Bouncing the out of the coffin :ohmy:

Looks like you had great fun!! I always think that people who jump and do xc are so brave!!

Looking forwards to seeing vids of milo jumping too!

Glad poorly horse is a bit better PW, but :GroupHug: for you and wanda. Have you thought about going to see an Osteopath? Might help loosen you up a bit?

I think we have a poorly horse on our yard. Last night when I got there, there were loads of cars parked on the lane instead of on the car park, and they were all crowded round a coloured mare's stable and there was a White board telling everyone to be quiet. I carried on with my jobs, and when I was coming back from doing my nets, one of the women looked at me, so I asked if everything was ok and she just replied yes. Anyway the mare's stable is behind Blue's stable, so you can hear what is going on sometimes. She was constantly pawing at the floor the whole time I was there, so am guessing she was colicing :unsure:

As much as I love this farm, because I don't tend to see many people, sometimes it gets a bit lonely, as most people are done by the time I get there at night. This is good most of the time as the menage is normally empty and there is no queue for the water! Sometimes though I miss the social aspect.