UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Aww poor Nemo, I hope he can find a suitable new girlfriend to ease Bonny's moving :GroupHug: I have been using Oxyshot for Loki during turnout as a calmer, I read all the hype about it but to be honest didn't think it would do much, but I am a convert, the only day I didn't use it (other than today hopefully ) he lost his shoe, may be worth considering :flowers:

The bit is a size 5.75", Loki is normally a 5.5" but these bits seem to come up a bit small, shout if that is any use :)

I have just found this clip, tis my farrier :biggrin: Shoeing Worldchamps

Loki kept his shoes on out in the field yesterday phew.

Not convinved he is totally happy on his feet though :( He seems choppy in front on the lunge both fronts though, and when ridden sometimes he feels a bit uncomfortable, but only a tiny faction of the time, the rest he seems to be working lovely.

My farrier decided to put a normal shoe on the troublsom foot, so he now doesn't have as much heel support, a bit worried really, but the daft horse had really backed us into a corner. I guess I will give it the weekend and speak to my farrier if he still seems not quite right.

Jen, could you not put the mare in with Nemo and his current friend now, then he would have time to bond with her?

Unfortunately Bonnie bullies her, and as she is blind in one eye, she can't really get out of the way. Someone on EE suggested some flower rememdies - so off to buy some walnut this weekend. :)

Loki does love to be a challenge doesn't he :) My farrier was due today but has gone sick, so I am mucking out the house instead.

I have a saddle!!! It is the XXXW one - saddler happy with fit, and Mel much happier riding Rolo in it - just have to hope that saddler sells old one for a reasonable amount and that I can sell the Barefoot - finances are a little tricky at the mo!

I really sympathise Clare, I had the same problem with Duke as he needed the heel support too and was also one for pulling them off and it was never a straight pull with him either :rolleyes: . The farrier actually sighed when he heard it was me on the phone - again! I'd love the plastic shoes but £200 is a bit heavy to say the least :( I have a new farrier since those times and he's due out so I'll ask him when he comes if he has any bright ideas.

Hope Nemo's changes go smoothly Bradders. Be very interested to hear about the bach after you've used it. I worry about Duke if we ever lost Squeak because Duke is a bit of a boss and Squeak bless him just lets him get on with it with never a word in reply so I can imagine some of your worry.

After not bothering at all with his ear these last few days, Duke has been rubbing it again and the already raw patch which was drying up is now very sore looking :( . He's not happy with it being touched either today and he's clearly not happy with it. Waiting for the vet to ring back, it must be so irritating for him.

Spoke to vet; he's put up some antibacterial cream for us and said to increase his regular bute. He mentioned surgically removing the heamatoma and stapling back together if it didn't settle in time. Thing is the haematoma is 2ndry to the rubbing so still absolutely none the wiser as to why he is so itchy, still just his one ear too. All these treatment options and no answers!

:GroupHug: Reds hope hes feeling better soon.

I was hoping to ride this morning but I've been up most of the night with a poorly doglet so we're just waiting for the vets to open.

Easta is being evil to the others in her field this week, shes decided she hates Elroy a little piebald pony and Bramble as pretty skewbald mare and put Elroy on the floor last night. She had been moved out her orginal field as she kept kicking the others in there and jumping the gate. She'll be on for solitary confinement if she continues. Not sure why shes started but someone has upset her! :rolleyes:

Wanda had fun today, I decided it was time to put the new knee into practice over a jump or two. She worked in like an old donkey, moaning about being bored and could she stop now. Got told to get on with it while Sam did the jumps, so I then was cantering round the school when Wanda suddenly clicked on to what was going on and went into turbo charged crazy steed mode. She whizzed round the corner on her shoulder, stuck her head up, ears in my mouth and snorting like a tractor flew hell for leather at:

A POLE ON THE FLOOR

How silly is she? It took at leat 20 minutes to convince her she could circle in front of the pole and then trot over it without totally losing the plot, repeat the same procedure over a 65 cm cross pole! She did enjoy herself though, she had a big smile on her face at last! No problems at all with the knee, I completely forgot about it! :)

Clare, the bit, it would be too big for Kim, bugger!

Aw shame about the bit!

So great to hear the knee coped well with jumping, sounds like Wanda is keen for you both to get going again :laugh:

Fingers crossed the cream will help Duke and his itching :flowers:

I had a short lesson last night so I could get Loki checked over as still had some doubts about the way he was moving, but he worked really nicely, so think he is fine, I am getting his back checked on Saturday just in case, as I am 99% any problems are coming from there and not his feet, probably tweaked something with all the flying in the air he did, being such a sensitive flower :rolleyes:

Anyhow feeling very happy now as he is ready to crack on with :biggrin: (I hope I don't regret saying that :laugh: :rolleyes: )

One of the liveries went to get her horse in this morning to find her minus her grazing muzzle and rug, couldn't see it anywhere in the field so looks like some "lovely" person has stolen them over night. Poor girl was only clipped yesterday too :(

Had an awful time at the stables this morning. I was running late and got there at 6am when its normally 5.30 ish. Heard a lot of banging so knew something was wrong, ran in and turned the lights on and to my horror found that my friends horse had rolled in the night and had a back leg through the metal bars into the next stable. Called the owner and yard manageress who in turn called the fire brigade whilst i tried to calm him down. The firemen were wonderful and used the expander thing to push the bars apart which immediately released him. Luckily he only has bad bruising and swelling but nothing broken, how he got off so lightly i dont know. Even his owner who thought i had exaggerated the situation a bit :rolleyes: said when she saw him lying there with his leg jammed that she thought he'd broken it. Just as well nothing worse was done as it took the vet over 35mins to turn up despite knowing how serious the situation was, he only lives a 5 minute drive from the yard and was home when called, we were not impressed.The stables are proper stables as well, i've put a link here to show the kind we have as they are almost identical to the 2nd picture.

http://valestables.com/Internal-Stabling

Edited by collies r best

That's scary and must have been one heck of a shock for you, horse and owner :GroupHug: SO glad he escaped relatively unharmed. Not sure I'd be happy about him staying in with the bars still accessible though :unsure:. Could they put some form of kick boarding up to cover them? I know it was an extreme accident but that's just what horses are good at isn't it :(. I'd also tell the stable manufacturer so they can possibly make future design alterations.

Fancy stealing a rug of a clipped horse :ohmy: Can only assume it was pure theft for profit as opposed to someone stealing it for their own horse. Then again!

Glad Blondie will soon be home Sarah :biggrin:

Duke is doing ok so far thank you :flowers:. Touching wood it will settle down and hopefully the wound site will have chance to heal before he rubs it anymore. It took them all of about one week to find mud again in the new field and they must have been really trying to find it too because I can't see any, it's still fully covered with long grass! :rolleyes:

How did Nemo adjust Bradders?

Suzanne, that is terrible :(

Reds, temporary board was done for last night and is being done properly today.

Must admit yesterday scared the hell out of me, i've helped out with sick and injured horses before but never seen anything as scary as that hoof sticking through into the next stable and not knowing what state Baldrick would be in when i got into his stable. Thankfully he calmed down whilst i sat with him but was obviously going into shock [as was i :rolleyes: :laugh: ]

Another lesson learned yesterday was to always make sure you have credit in your mobile. I was down to 30p which luckily was enough to get help but if not i'd had to leave the horse and run to get help. Needless to say my mobile was swiftly topped up.