UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Anyway had a nice day with San yesterday....unfortunately Kane wasn't that well behaved and she may of taken a bit of a tumble...San was most gracious and said it was her fault for being unbalanced but knowing Kane I'm sure he helped her on her way!!! :rolleyes: Think from now on I'll have to stick to letting people ride him in the school and not open fields cos he's a sod!! :laugh:

Oppphs. :wacko:

San is made of tough stuff, she is very good at flying through the air. :) :wink:

Did she happen to have a carrot about her personage at all? Lady T informs me this can lead to accidental San flying incidents...

Hiawatha :wub: When we were at primary school we were told to come back the next day with a genuine red Indian name for ourselves - that was mine :biggrin: I was very proud of it :laugh:

Crazyspaniels, is the bay in the photo an Appaloosa or can they only be called that if the appy colour? :wacko:

Clare, hope Loki soon finds someone to bond with, we all need a special friend :wub:

Can't wait for Sandra's holiday reports :laugh: or bruise counts!

Duke worried me the other day as he was laying down and I very rarely catch him doing so. It was Sunday morning though so figured it wasn't unreasonable to be having a lie in :laugh: My Dad saw to them today and at 4pm they were both flat out laying right down the bottom of the field, I can imagine his heart skipping as he made that walk down to see them!!!! Have a couple of grainy pics he took on his phone if anyone wants to see. I hate seeing horses like that in fields when you drive past - always makes me want to turn around and check they are alive!

Crazyspaniels, is the bay in the photo an Appaloosa or can they only be called that if the appy colour? :wacko:

Appaloosa is a breed and not a colour so you can get solid coloured Appaloosas that are reg'd and graded. Some breeders strive for colour and we are lucky that we breed really good colour, whereas other breeders can have 3 or 4 solid coloured foals out of 6 they breed. The guy we got Hiawatha from breeds stunning solid black foals which are still Appy's - not what he wants but they sell really well as they are stunning.

The little bay filly is called Pasadena and she will not stay bay for long, she will colour right out as she grows. Some of our Appy's are born colourful and some have colour thrust upon them in later life - takes alot of getting used to and still totally takes me by suprise as they can change in no time at all. We have a big mare called Cinders, she is a dark brown blanket and she is about 5 or 6 - well suddenly this year all her dark brown has faded and she is an explosion of spots - tis amazing :biggrin: :biggrin:

:laugh: :laugh: Love the laying down picture!! I remember when I first got Kane and the girl I shared the farm with had bought Bob at the same time so we were both giddy knickers together!! Anyway the first morning after they had arrived we both ran to the field (in our PJ's ...much to her hubbys disgust!! :laugh: ) and they were both laying flat out...we both looked at each other and started to walk faster, by the end we were both running!! :rolleyes: Couldn't stop giggling when we got there and of course they both got up and looked confused at why these 2 mad women were looking so panicked!! :laugh:

On the appaloosa topic, some friends in england bred their leopard spot mare to a leopard spot stallion and the foal was...bright chestnut with white blaze and socks :laughingsmiley:

Bumble currently has me baffled :wacko: as you know hes just had laminitis and it was very scary as he had pedal bone movement according to the vet. Normally Bumble has at least 2 weeks stable rest and is still sore to walk but this time he only had 10 days rest and is full of himself and his feet dont appear to hurt at all :wacko: Hes only out for a few hours a day but jogs down to his patch and is a handful. :rolleyes: I cant understand why hes was apparently worse than hes ever been but recovered so much quicker than normal, not that i'm complaining of course :biggrin:

I do agree , horses lying down flat out scare the hell out of you :laughingsmiley:

On the appaloosa topic, some friends in england bred their leopard spot mare to a leopard spot stallion and the foal was...bright chestnut with white blaze and socks :laughingsmiley:

not all leopards will automatically breed colour, we are lucky that our main stallion has very dominant colour and so is pretty much guaranteed to put colour into anything he touches, even solids he has a high success rate with. Also a foal can be born chestnut with socks and blazes etc and change colour as it develops - but it depends on the genes of the stallion. Get them to send their mare up to Nookie, he will fire some colour into her :laugh:

Could we have some more spotty horse photos please :flowers: , they are amazing :wub:

I will take some for you tomorrow if its a nice day as all the horses are fat and happy and out in the fields enjoying the spring grass - lots look completely different from the website pics we took last year

Here's a spotty one, Bantac Kalif and OH being a cowboy! Long time ago though.

peterandkalifstanding.jpg

Oooooooo :wub: (yes that is for the horse PW, don't worry!)(hmmm, maybe its me that should be worried :laugh: ) Are there different names for the different patterns? crazyspaniels has mentioned leopards? Thank you for the photo

I will take some for you tomorrow if its a nice day as all the horses are fat and happy and out in the fields enjoying the spring grass - lots look completely different from the website pics we took last year

Would love that, thank you :flowers:

Was it Nouggatti who was asking what eventing was, well this is a pre novice jump. Years ago I would not have thought twice about it but now it scares the hell out of me! :)

Twas me, I was asking if B.E was what they do at Badminton as I am amazed each year that people voluntarily do it :laugh:

I am thinking of taking lessons and am looking for a good school at the moment, would this be the right thread to ask some real numpty questions about clothes/boots/basic horsey language or shall I start another elsewhere?

Spotty horses are just :wub:

Wow that is some jump PW :ohmy:

Love seeing them lying down so relaxed.....great piccies.

Norty Kane :D

Clare you must be so chuffed to be asked :wink:

No riding this weekend as instructor is away all weekend :( Checked out insurance and quote from Petplan is £60 :biggrin: