UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Thanks everyone...yeah I was gutted to sell her because I had brought her on as a filly but she went to a friend of mine who still takes her eventing which is what she loved.......yup I still ride....brothers got 3 eventers so I just go and take one of em out whenever I want :biggrin:

The scabbing over on Dukes lump came off yesterday and I was horrified to see bright red blood but at least the lump now shows up clearly. Vet is coming on Weds. to do teeth and check it out. Mummy will be very relieved :rolleyes: :wink:

Hope all went ok with Duke and the vet today :flowers: :flowers:

Thanks Clare :flowers:

The vet said the lump was 'cyst like' and could be an infected hair follicle as Lesley said. She doesn't expect it to ever go and if it causes a problem in the Summer then it may be best to cut it out. I have a feeling that may have to be the case :( but she did say that it would be quick and simple and just need a couple of staples.

Teeth were not too bad and luckily Duke was in a good mood for that job today (he goes mellow in the sunshine!). Squeak had a runny eye which had clouded so the vet came to see to that as well. It's a corneal ulcer but it's infected so he is now on eye drops three times a day for a week. I've never administered eye drops to a horse before, I can see most of it ending up around his eye :rolleyes:

Feel like I've been there all day! Will go back now and check on everyone's adventures. :flowers:

Edited to Add: WELL DONE!!!! to Katherine and the very clever Apple :partytime:

Edited by reds

here is Dinky surveying the snow this morning,doesn't he look tiny!!

AsnowyAshridgeandstablesfeb2007007.jpg

George and Bailey charging round after being let out.

AsnowyAshridgeandstablesfeb2007008.jpg

George decided to have a roll!

AsnowyAshridgeandstablesfeb2007010.jpg

and this is my stables,right at the back of the field. There appears to be a star above the stables but I checked the mangers and theres no latecomer in there! :laugh:

AsnowyAshridgeandstablesfeb2007006.jpg

the snow was quite deep up there so I had to get hubby to take me up in his 4x4 and we only have a track.

Dinky and his fan club yesterday. Just as we started taking the pics the muck heap decided to start chucking out tons of smoke!

dinkykidsandfirstsnow001.jpg

I luff horses but always have a severe allergic reaction if I am any where near one so have to make do with coming here and admiring all your beauties :wub:

I know nowt about horses so can I ask some probably silly questions :unsure:

Why do some get clipped and why is it always in some sort of pattern?

Why do some horses stay out overnight whilst others have a stable?

How many times a day do they get fed and what sort of of a diet is considered healthy?

Do the bits hurt them when they are first introduced to them or any time subsequently?

What sort of exercise must they have to keep them fit and well?

What's the maximum weight a horse can comfortably carry - I know this will depend on the size of the horse.

Well there I go showing my ignorance but I thought fellow Fugees might indulge me and answer my silly questions :flowers: I genuinely am interested but have never had anyone to ask :rolleyes:

Marion

I luff horses but always have a severe allergic reaction if I am any where near one so have to make do with coming here and admiring all your beauties :wub:

Not sill questions at all - I will do my best!

I know nowt about horses so can I ask some probably silly questions :unsure:

Why do some get clipped and why is it always in some sort of pattern?

Most are clipped because they will get too hot if worked in the winter with a full coat - patterns evolve acording to how much work the horse does - generally the less work they do the less hair will be clipped off

Why do some horses stay out overnight whilst others have a stable?

Some horses are happier out than in or maybe owners cannot aford to have them in overnight

How many times a day do they get fed and what sort of of a diet is considered healthy?

Varies hugely!!! :laugh:

Do the bits hurt them when they are first introduced to them or any time subsequently?

Depends - there are some pretty horrible bits out there - even those bits that are traditionally regarded as mild work be applying pressure to the sides of the mouth and the tongue - a prooperly fitted kind but should not hurt the horse :)

What sort of exercise must they have to keep them fit and well?

Again, this will vary massively according to the age, breed experience etc of the horse

What's the maximum weight a horse can comfortably carry - I know this will depend on the size of the horse

No idea on this one I am afraid! :)

Well there I go showing my ignorance but I thought fellow Fugees might indulge me and answer my silly questions :flowers: I genuinely am interested but have never had anyone to ask :rolleyes:

Marion

ours get fed once a day in summer when there is plenty of good grass. Altho they do very little work and don't actually need feeding we do it because we add a vitamin and mineral supplement to their feed plus garlic to help with worms and flies. In winter they are fed twice. In the morning before they are let out after being in all night,and again when they a brought in for the night.We feed sugar beet,which is a slow release food with high calcium,a general horse mix (which should contain everything the horse needs) and readi grass(which is dried grass as we feel it is better than chaff which is straw). We then add codlivine(which is dried cod liver oil and vitamins and minerals) and pure garlic granules (which help with digestion,breathing,worms and flies)and ad lib hay,as much as they need in the winter when there is no nourishmentleft in the grass.

Ours are in at night because we have limited paddock space and if they are left on it 24/7 it gets ruined,really churned up. Also,George is elderly and feels the cold. Dinky is left out because he is allergic to the sraw and it affects his breathing.

None of ours are clipped because they do very little work so would get cold if they had their hair removed.

Ours are fit and well even tho they are only ridden once or twice a week because they exercise themselves in the field. In the summer they are out 24/7 but in the winter they are turned out for at least 6/8 hours a day.

Bailey is a 15.2hh warmblood x arab and he carries 14 stone with no problems,George is 16.3hh warmblood and he carries my 13 stone easily but it does vary according to height,type and bone,

We use french link bits which are gentle ones,George has a hanging cheek which has a little bit more brakes when I need it.

Questions are never silly if someone really wants to know the answers. xx

With regards to how much a horse can carry? I saw this in a book once and it was like a maths puzzle.ie height,amount of bone(in the leg) ,weight of horse divided in some order would give the amount of weight able to carry.Will see if I can find it !

Suzanne

Thank you folks. I find it all very interesting. And I do love to look at your photos. There is just something about horses and ponies that makes me go all ga-ga.

I'm into genealogy and have discovered that a great great uncle was known for his love of horses and the skills he had in handling them. Unfortunately he died in WW1 and all the horses he had at his farm in Canada were sold off along with the rest of his stock. Before he left for France he managed to get them exempted from war service. Horses suffered terribly in that war :mecry:

Marion