UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hi From Somerset

eagle owl

Hi, I'm Carol from Somerset. I'm Irish but have lived in UK for 23 years. My family consists of Chris, my husband, Gavin 21 and Travis, Molly and Carrie my cuddly babies. Also an eagle owl rescue called Aysha who is a real character.

I have had rescues for 25 years - Bernese, Flatcoat, Irish wolfhound, lurcher, Great Dane, GSD, lab, golden retriever - and usually adopt older dogs. Carrie, the golden was my first 'failed' foster. She was so traumatised - spent three weeks under the diningroom table - that Chris and I made the (easy) decision to give her a permanent home. She has been here nearly a year and, while we have seen amazing improvement, she is too scared to go out and still runs away from us. We suspect she has had to endure horrendous abuse and as she is at least 5 it doesn't bear thinking about.

Molly came to us through a quirk of fate and is the cheekiest dog I have ever had. She, like Carrie, came from a backyard breeder/puppy farm in Ireland through Irish Retriever Rescue.

Travis came to us as an 8-month-old puppy with no social skills. He was also traumatised but instead of cowering he ran around the house!! It took months of cuddles before he was evenly mildly controllable. now he is a kind, cuddly looney who loves looking after fosters.

dbc50353.jpg

bd4412a5.jpg

2840df6f.jpg

Hmm, OK, so Carrie is the golden, but which one is Travis? I'm guessing the GSD, with no reason at all apart from that the GSD looks younger... Or, is Irish Retriever Rescue the clue - Molly must be the lab, because labs are retrievers?

Anyway, welcome ( and thanks for the little puzzle!) can we have more pics (specially of the choccy lab probably-Molly, who is loverly...!)

Hi

Yes, Travis is the GSD and he is 6. Doesn't look it does he? He doesn't b***** act like it either :wacko:

Molly was rescued by IRR along with a golden and you couldn't turn away that little face. Mind you she is a cheeky monkey!

Thanks for the welcome

Carol

PS I'll sort out some more pics

Thanks for the welcome.

Ange, yes, you would have heard about Molly from Pauline.

Here are some pics of Aysha. As you can see she's quite a character. I've had her 4 years and the second year she became distressed in the spring. As she had been a breeding bird I figured that she needed 'babies' so the blue owl and the gardening glove are her old babies. She had a 'new' one this year - the brown fluffy dog :rolleyes: . She is actually brooding an egg in a couple of the pics but it's obviously infertile. The egg eventually disintegrates and within a couple of days she has forgotten.

I think she sees me as her partner. She does a little dance on her perch sometimes and she chatters away to me every time I either go past her aviary or she hears me talking. However, birds of prey are essentially wild animals and I never take any risks with her. She has not been trained to fly to my fist and is too old to start now. She takes her day old chicks - dead of course; I buy them frozen - from my fingers very gently. Birds of prey that have been captive bred are quite content in an aviary. Even wild birds only fly to catch food and spend the majority of their time perched.

aysha26.jpg

aysha25.jpg

aysha24.jpg

aysha23.jpg

aysha22.jpg

aysha21.jpg