UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Killing Field Of The Dog Industry

Brindlebabe

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we organised two marches through London in the 90s (against breed specific legislation), a well used route and one we did was from hyde park corner to trafalgar square, hyde park was a good starting point as there is enough room for people and dogs to assemble, the route to the square takes you right thru the heart of it all, the traffic was stopped, it was a weird feeling holding a great big banner at the front, then everyone all behind, loud speaker thingy-designated person with a loud clear voice lol, dogs at front with banner, then at the square there was a rally-speakers which holds the interest and finishes it off well, a delegation went to no10 and delivered the petition-more photo opportunities, on our second attempt if memory is correct we had a van at front with posters on it-you could use a flat low loader and decorate it out

but police permisssion essential, our committee met with the police and discussed numbers of people expected to attend, route, dogs, stewards needed-reflective tops, name badges, collecting buckets, then the speakers at the square, pa system, leaflets, registration of any vehicles used, times etc, the police were very helpful, once they have all the info they need a date can be booked and then its down to the organisers to get a good turnout and also regulate - especially the numbers of dogs expected, facilities to tidy up and not forgetting press and photo shoots to get max. coverage, once a date is set-press release to launch

and more detailed input such as the banners, literature, speakers to ask etc, it's a shame tony banks isn't around as he was always behind marches and was a brillant speaker at the square, carla lane attended ours

but then there wasn't much in the way of internet - but now :)

just some ideas

amanda

Edited by Amanda-EDDR

Can't we do both?

There's no way I can afford to get to London for a march, I wouldn't be able to bring my dogs so would have to kennel them, plus transport and accomodation etc I just couldn't manage it.

Protests outside racing tracks do not tell the tracks we don't like them, but tells the customers what really happens and then hit the industry where it hurts, the pocket.

There has also been a suggestion to march on the NGRC, which would mean that we don't have to worry about Parliament being in recess.

I would imagine if we can march soonish while its still a big news story, the press/tv will happily give it coverage.

National Greyhound Racing Club Limited

If you would like more information concerning the NGRC or have any queries please contact us at:

National Greyhound Racing Club Limited

Twyman House

16 Bonny Street

London

NW1 9QD

Tel +44 (0)20 7267 9256

Fax +44 (0)20 7482 1023

Email

General information

[email protected]

Registrations

[email protected]

Accounts

[email protected]

Press

[email protected]

Retired Greyhounds

[email protected]

You will find contact details on a wide range of organisations to do with greyhound racing in our 'Links' area.

If you need to contact an Area Stipendiary Steward, you will find their details in the 'Who We Are' area of the site.

For contact details for all NGRC licensed racecourses please refer to the 'Racing' area of the site.

For details of trainers please refer to the 'Racing' area of the site.

NGRC Website

Mapquest link

Firstly, thanks to Kats n Greys for her letter - I am tweaking it for my MP!

Secondly, the populace of the Queendom of the Fish are ready and waiting to march.

Thirdly, the OH of the Fish works within stationery and has mucho mucho links with people who would happily design a downloadable headed paper for any press packs that may be required - either through this site or any other involved with keeping this in the eye of both the media and the fickle public. He may also be able to provide an 'at cost' iron on transfer for t-shirts or dog coats (not sure if this is required but could be a cheap option).

Fourthly, The Fish has access to a work franking machine and the trust of the bosses to use it 'sensibly'. The Fish offers her services in regard to the sending of press packs to the County of Essex (very close to the Queendom). She also offers her services in regard to proof reading and punctuation of said press releases and can even be prevailed upon to use typing skills and decipher the undecipherable handwritten stuff if necessary.

Bet you never knew your fish was so talented - and sorry if I sound a bit overly light hearted - I've spent the whole day in the Land of the Idiots who Don't Listen. If one more person asks me 'Did you know what they do to greyhounds..........?' I may come over all unqueenly :laugh: :wacko:

I have emailed my own MP, who I have met, but was holding off writing to Ben Bradshaw in the hope there'd be a coordinated effort. Not sure who this request came from - Greyhound Action perhaps? - but presumably the aim is that he receives a lot of letters in one go.

Sam mentioned the rule re ownership of greyhounds earlier, which I think is Rule 18 - see my post above - might be worth mentioning/quoting this rule in any communications?

Sam, Rule 18 rang a bell. Have had a look on the NGRC site and found this link

Is that what you were after?

thats the one thanks, I am making reference to that in my letter to Ben Bradshaw ,stating that if the industry fails consistently to enforce that rule how can anyone expect it to carry out an independent and un biased enquiry

Sam

has anywhere been set up to help with the organisation of this event?

I had a brief chat with Vanessa earlier today and currently they try to sort out the committee. As far as I understood, once this has been set up the roles will be assigned, i.e. press releases etc and then a more structured approach can be taken.

Cindy

Ben Bradshaw is missing the point - perhaps deliberately. The point is not that 10, 000 Greyhounds have been killed by David Smith but that there are people all over the country doing what David Smith has done and the Greyhound moguls know about it. But they don't care! The greyhound slaughterers are performing a useful function in disposing of the losers and enabling trainers and owners to concentrate on today's winners - tomorrow's corpses.

This should not be allowed to be a witch hunt of David Smith. He is an employee of the Greyhound racing industry. There are lots of him. We must pursue those who condone this activity and we must fight to stop Greyhounds being bred in such huge numbers in the pursuit of the Great White Hope.

The whole Greyhound industry stinks and they should not be the ones to carry out any enquiry because it would inevitably be biassed. :(

i need some official stats for the dog figures in the grey industry please.

if anyone can point to an non biased source (I trust the figures at grey action etc but need them to be from an "official" source) I would be grateful.

had had a quick look on rspca and dogs trust sites but couldnt see any figures

To be honest Pingu I think we may have trouble finding such a thing :( Every group has different figures. Some count or estimate dogs bred, others count dogs racing, some only count dogs bred in Uk even though the majority of dogs racing here are bred in Ireland etc... the race industry themselves don't even know.

Are you looking for a figure which answers a specific question?

yeah

figures for the number of dogs destroyed each year as a result of the greyhound industry

though I am actually winning my argument on purely moral issues at the moment I know the "back those figures up" bit is going to pop up at some point

not doing badly for someone who really know f*ck all about the issue in any depth