UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Veggie Plot 2012

houndzrus

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

I have growth

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Well done! :partytime: what's coming up?

Had a fab time at the show yesterday, got more free seeds :laughingsmiley: , some seedlings and some plants, as well as some rootrainer modules and lots of free magazines. It was just a nice size (two halls) and I watched a great cooking demo by John Burton Race who is my new best mate. :laughingsmiley:

06068cb5.jpg

I bought these two cucumber plants. I think they are a little early, so I put these lemonade bottles on them to stop the draughts and keep them warm. Hope it works, cukes can be a bit temperamental. :rolleyes: I do have some seeds of my own, but they are small ones.

276ecc18.jpg

I had great success growing cucumbers in my last house. Our dining rooms windows were floor to ceiling and I put a couple of plants in a tray on the floor in front of them. I got a terrific crop - in fact so much so that I was giving them away left right and centre.

They tasted amazing! So much better than any I have bought from the supermarket. I hope you have success with yours Marge flowers.gif

They tasted amazing! So much better than any I have bought from the supermarket. I hope you have success with yours Marge

Thank you :flowers:

Marge - look at you hobnobbing with the celebs laugh.gif

I know, :rolleyes:

I imagined the tomato plant :laugh:

that would never happen to me, nope, not a chance. :ph34r_anim: :laughingsmiley:

Spent six hoiurs at the lotty today without even noticing the time! :unsure:

Anyway, six rows of onions planted and fleeced to stop the birds eating them.

Planted another rhubarb plant

Dug a few beds and weeded ready for whatever is going in next. Only have one more long bit to finish digging, then everthying will be ready for the plants. (just as soon as the grow)

Here's some pics

View from the shed. Only the bit to the right needs a light dig over, then planting can commence when the frosts are done, or, for the spuds, easter when we will have time off.

:biggrin:

IMG_0977.jpg

Garlic bed, parsnip bed and rhubarb bed. ( beyond is another squash bed and an extra potato bed.)

IMG_0974.jpg

Courgette and squash bed. (Manured)

IMG_0973.jpg

Another brassica bed dug. (I use that Chillington hoe, much easier and faster than a traditional spade)

IMG_0969.jpg

Another potato bed

IMG_0968.jpg

Beetroot and swede beds

IMG_0967.jpg

The fleeced up onion bed and the newly dug bed for red onions and leeks.

IMG_0966.jpg

That's it really, not bad for two days work. :biggrin:

Did you get a compost bin in the end Marge? Or was it a water butt you were after?

Thanks for the link Alex. :flowers: i didn't check out the council, cos last time I looked they didn't do anything like this. Aldi was sold out, (water butts)so Andrea checked hers and got one. the power of FB eh? :wink:

I like the look of those composters too. :biggrin:

Edited by houndzrus

God bless your fittedness (that really is a word :unsure: ) Marge. Marion, I ache all over after reading it :laugh:

Guess what, I didn't imagine the tomato plant just couldn't see it yesterday :wacko: and I now have a courgette starting too :biggrin:

I wish we could get some warmer weather and everything would be flying along.

I planted a rhubarb plant in a pot. Will it need a really huge pot as it gets bigger?

The allotment is looking fab Marge flowers.gif It wears me out just looking at all your hard work

I felt great after that yesterday. :biggrin:

God bless your fittedness (that really is a word :unsure: ) Marge. Marion, I ache all over after reading it :laugh:

Guess what, I didn't imagine the tomato plant just couldn't see it yesterday :wacko: and I now have a courgette starting too :biggrin:

I planted a rhubarb plant in a pot. Will it need a really huge pot as it gets bigger?

I like the word fittedness :biggrin:

Glad the tomato was real after all and yay for the courgette :biggrin:

I would think the rhubarb would need a big pot eventually. I have never grown it before and seem to have a knack of killing them off. (3 so far!) :ohmy:

Both Keith and I have been working in the garden, seemingly non stop for the past two days. I have finally got rid of most of the growbags I had. (Don't need them now we use the allotment). Lots of seedlings transplanted and more seed sown. Another tub of carrots is showing itself, so hopefully, we should soon have something to eat!

Today I made a net for the door of the polytunnel. I have a destructive magpie and also Jack who is always looking for toilet opportunities in my compost!

I made this out of an old net curtain, but because I made it up as I went along, it did take a lot longer than I first thought. Yes it is a bit chintzy, but I am pleased with the result. So far, neither magpie nor dog has ventured in!

f64f5412.jpg

Stick on velcro for the sides

e52f0e31.jpg

I sewed the velcro to the curtain.

bc564e19.jpg

bamboo cane along the top. ( I used iron on webbing to make the tab for the pole. )

7025cfc2.jpg

velcro tieback

71a9bd23.jpg

All works well and very easily, not bad for next to nothing.  :D