UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Oooh Ze Flashing Dogs...

cycas

At the moment Mollydog and Az have different lights for dark evening walks. Az has a flashing red collar, and Mollydog has a white keyring light thing. It's handy to be able to see not just where they are, but also which is which.

An old chap who was out walking this evening told me to 'look out or I'd be had up for coursing' because apparently coursers use red and white lights on their dogs.

Is this true and should I be worried? :unsure:

An old chap who was out walking this evening told me to 'look out or I'd be had up for coursing' because apparently coursers use red and white lights on their dogs.

Is this true and should I be worried? :unsure:

No idea, I can try to find out from someone who might know if you like?

My Digger has a blue flashing one so if you are being norty then he could always arrest you all :laugh:

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I've got some of those blinkers things that clip on the collar and they flash red, white and blue - what does that mean? :unsure:

My boys have flashing red L.E.D collars and I wear flashing red and blue ear rings and have scared the bejabbers out of many a poor unsuspecting person as we round a corner in the complete darkness :laugh:

I've seen coursers out and never noticed that they have coloured lights, just plain ordinary lights, so not sure if the guy was right or not - can you be done for coursing if you are just walking round the block :unsure: :rolleyes:

Marion

Don't know about that but you can find yourself explaining to a patrol car that you have not arrived illegally in the UK in a UFO and your dogs are not aliens from outer space.

Tis true - my friend's cousin was out late walking a footpath with a flashing hairy black dog in the Brecon Beacons and a local resident reported UFO activity and an alien being running around. When the cops turned up he thought they were after him for poaching, but they just wanted to check that he and his dog were natives of Planet Earth. Only in Wales :rolleyes:

Edited by owl

Think this chappy is confused.

Coursing the sport: happens in daylight and dogs wear red or white knitted collar to make identifying them - they need to be identifiable as the point of the sport is to score each dog on how closely he 'courses' ie follows the exact path the hare/lure makes.

Y'cant do that in the dark!

Lamping - method of hunting in the dark, dog runs down path of lamp to quarry light up by said lamp.

Could be confused because the act of a dog chasing a rabbit/hare/lure/figment of his imagination is also called 'coursing' as in 'he coursed it'.

Fink you are more likely to frighten the natives into thinking the aliens have landed though... specially if you get GREEN lights! :D

Think this chappy is confused.

Coursing the sport: happens in daylight and dogs wear red or white knitted collar to make identifying them - they need to be identifiable as the point of the sport is to score each dog on how closely he 'courses' ie follows the exact path the hare/lure makes.

Y'cant do that in the dark!

Lamping - method of hunting in the dark, dog runs down path of lamp to quarry light up by said lamp.

Could be confused because the act of a dog chasing a rabbit/hare/lure/figment of his imagination is also called 'coursing' as in 'he coursed it'.

Fink you are more likely to frighten the natives into thinking the aliens have landed though... specially if you get GREEN lights! :D

Aha! Thanks for the info. To be honest, it's more likely that I got confused and didn't follow what he was saying, or possibly he was making a joke about my dogs running round like loons that I didn't follow properly. He had a large picturesque beard and an even larger picturesque accent, so I was kind of in the nodding and smiling politely class...

We sometimes meet an old bloke and his two working lurchers when we're out, and he always teases me that Taz, Meg and Sophie are the perfect 'poachers pack'. Terrier x Meg for digging and flushing, whippety Sophie for speed and agility and saluki x Taz for strength and stamina to finish the chase.

Luckily for the local wildlife we don't put it to the test :rolleyes: