UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Hydrotherapy V Not Vaccinating.

bebe

Having a visit first is good :biggrin: I was able to visit first and observe another dog having his swim (the owner had given her permission). I am sure everywhere does things their own way, but it was good to see what happens, before and after being in the pool as well as the swimming.

You mentioning the bit about tiring Ty reminded me; Bumpy would sleep for hours after his swim! He would come home and be all bouncy and then just flake out. The lady who did the sessions said dogs often dream a lot after as their mind processes what they have experienced and I guess that must add to the mental exhaustion.

The lady we went to was also a Bachs therapsit and would spray RR around Bumpy while he was in the pool, and also dabbed a little on his nose before he went in. She was very keen on letting the dogs go in, have a good wander around, sniff about and not rush them at all. She initially rested the life jacket on Bumpy so he could get used to the wieight of it, the smell etc. In the first session, Bumpy was only in the pool 5 minutes despite us being there half an hour!

If the place you are going to is as good, I'm sure it will be brilliant for Ty :flowers:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bebe, I can't recommend Hydrotherapy more highly , it really is fantastic, I am sure the pool will ensure that there are no other dogs in the vicinity when you take Ty in, when I first took Toby he was very wary when he first went in (having never gone in water above his knees before :rolleyes: ) but with the careful handling of the staff, he realised that he could swim and from then on it was the highlight of his week :biggrin: and if you are brave enough you could go in with him what better way to strengthen your bond :flowers:

helpinghand.jpg

Okay this photo wasn't at the hydro pool it was on holiday but you get the picture :)

Hydrotherapy will be brilliant for Tyra Bebe, not only for tiring her out but will help tone all her muscles as well.

Another little thing you could try on the days you don't go swimming is 'Hide and seek'. I play this with my dogs and they love it. It wears them out mentally as well as physically.

Show the dog a treat and then taking the dog with you hide the treat under something amking sure dog can see what you have done with the treat. Bring the dog back to the living room and then tell them to get/fetch the treat. It sometimes takes a while for them to get it.

Elsa had to be shown where it was hidden many times before she went to it, Maxie, Grip, Raffles and Charley Barley all got it within two goes. Blue wouldn't play the game. :( :)

For a few more times take them with you when you hide the treat, once they go straight to where you have hidden it you can make it more difficult.

I hide a treat while they are eating breakfast say so they do not see what I am doing and then when it's time for the game I send them off to find it.

This can take some time and you have to think of new places but they really enjoy it and the constant running back and forth keep them occupied and happy.

They vary. Bumpy went to a small pool, think it was something like 12 ft by 6ft and 4ft deep. It was sunken into the ground so when I was next to it, I wasn't way above Bumpy and near enough to touch him etc.

The pool had jets so it created a tidal effect that could be increased or decreased, plus used one side or the other or both at the same time. There was a ramp at one end for dogs to walk in and out of the pool, plust a hoist for the less agile.

There's a bit of info on the website here

Bebe, are those pictures of where Tyra will be going :unsure: My opinion only but although that sort of hydrotherapy is good for injuries etc its not right for fun swimming. My hydrotherapy pool is an actual pool which is fun for the dogs, I would think that that sort of situation would be rather stressful :unsure:

2005_0413_105613AA.jpg

Where is that pool Tobie? It's brilliant.

Where Elsa went for Hydrotherapy it was the same size as Wendy's pool. 12 x 6 x 4 and only used for therapy swimming, with jets for resistance.

Your pool looks perfect. :)

Also how much for how long in pool please?

Having a visit first is good I was able to visit first and observe another dog having his swim (the owner had given her permission). I am sure everywhere does things their own way, but it was good to see what happens, before and after being in the pool as well as the swimming.

You mentioning the bit about tiring Ty reminded me; Bumpy would sleep for hours after his swim! He would come home and be all bouncy and then just flake out. The lady who did the sessions said dogs often dream a lot after as their mind processes what they have experienced and I guess that must add to the mental exhaustion.

The lady we went to was also a Bachs therapsit and would spray RR around Bumpy while he was in the pool, and also dabbed a little on his nose before he went in. She was very keen on letting the dogs go in, have a good wander around, sniff about and not rush them at all. She initially rested the life jacket on Bumpy so he could get used to the wieight of it, the smell etc. In the first session, Bumpy was only in the pool 5 minutes despite us being there half an hour!

If the place you are going to is as good, I'm sure it will be brilliant for Ty

If it makes her sleep like that, Im all for it :biggrin: Shes on the go all the time, it must be exhausting for her, I know it is for me, not to mention poor George.

Bebe, I can't recommend Hydrotherapy more highly , it really is fantastic, I am sure the pool will ensure that there are no other dogs in the vicinity when you take Ty in, when I first took Toby he was very wary when he first went in (having never gone in water above his knees before :rolleyes: ) but with the careful handling of the staff, he realised that he could swim and from then on it was the highlight of his week and if you are brave enough you could go in with him what better way to strengthen your bond :flowers:

Okay this photo wasn't at the hydro pool it was on holiday but you get the picture :)

Is that the "nipple" pic, from a more modest angle then? :D :laugh:

Hydrotherapy will be brilliant for Tyra Bebe, not only for tiring her out but will help tone all her muscles as well.

Another little thing you could try on the days you don't go swimming is 'Hide and seek'. I play this with my dogs and they love it. It wears them out mentally as well as physically.

Show the dog a treat and then taking the dog with you hide the treat under something amking sure dog can see what you have done with the treat. Bring the dog back to the living room and then tell them to get/fetch the treat. It sometimes takes a while for them to get it.

Elsa had to be shown where it was hidden many times before she went to it, Maxie, Grip, Raffles and Charley Barley all got it within two goes. Blue wouldn't play the game. :( :)

For a few more times take them with you when you hide the treat, once they go straight to where you have hidden it you can make it more difficult.

I hide a treat while they are eating breakfast say so they do not see what I am doing and then when it's time for the game I send them off to find it.

This can take some time and you have to think of new places but they really enjoy it and the constant running back and forth keep them occupied and happy.

I do play hide and seek Kathy, but Ty is so much faster than George and just headbutts him out of the way to get there first, and if I keep her back and try to do them seperately, she,ll duff him up when I let her back in. :rolleyes: . Ty thinks ALL games are just for her, George isnt allowed to play, so I tend to not play too many with them both together, she gets in a bit of a frenzy to get there first. I wait untill George is either asleep somewhere, which isnt often because they compete for my attention so one wont leave the other one with me, or when H or Naomi can be here to play with one in a different room. If any of that makes any sense :wacko: Im tired.

:ohmy: That pool is brilliant.

Im all :( now. Thats the pool Ty will be going to Mindy, its too small isnt it? :(

Im all :( now. Thats the pool Ty will be going to Mindy, its too small isnt it? :(

My opinion only yes :unsure: but she may take to it well, just not a pool as I see it, I see that as injury therapy :unsure: I may be getting it wrong but am thinking that Tyra would benefit swimming more as exercise and fun :unsure: Tell me to shush I am sure other peeps have had more experience than me :flowers:

Just my opinion because I've never had a dog affected by vaccinations but I would definitely go down the vaccination route, even if this means starting the course of vaccinations again, and go for hydrotherapy. :)

Im worried about the size of the pool now though :( I dont want to cause Ty any stress, shes sensitive enough without me scaring her like that. Im all confused now. I really was expecting a swimming pool. :rolleyes:

I hide the treat in different places all over the house. Bedroooms, bathroom, kitchen etc. So they have to work out which room I went into. In the summer the garden becomes another room. :)

Ahh, I geddit. Maybe something to try when Im alone with Ty, so George doesnt get beat up. :cool:

My opinion only yes :unsure: but she may take to it well, just not a pool as I see it, I see that as injury therapy :unsure: I may be getting it wrong but am thinking that Tyra would benefit swimming more as exercise and fun :unsure: Tell me to shush I am sure other peeps have had more experience than me :flowers:

No your right, I thought it was small. I think I,ll do a bit more research, although maybe the pool you went to is extra large, as far as Hydrotherapy pools go? :unsure: She isnt going to be able to swim is she, just bob about? Im going to have a look at some more on the net. If she likes it, I dont mind travelling to a big one, I,ll see how she takes to it I think.

My dogs all started swimming in a relatively small pool but I think it depends on how the dogs are handled before/during and after they are in the pool - can I suggest you go and watch a session to judge?

A bigger pool may well be beneficial for fitness purposes but equally the pool you're looking at may have 'fun games' to encourage dogs to play within the area they have available.

I think that you need to have an honest chat with the people who run the pool and discuss your expectations. My rough collies (!) absolutely adored swimming and that is not a breed expectation :laugh:

In terms of actual swimming Sully did better in a little pool than a big one, but I didn't like the way he was treated at the little pool, and in any case he hated swimming so I had to stop taking him anyway. But in terms of the actual pool size, the little one was better for him. It's hard to imagine but because of the jets they can paddle hard and not go anywhere, so they can swim.