UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bloat

our little godsend

Bloat mainly affects large breeds, and deep-chested breeds such as greyhounds are particularly prone to it.

As I understand it (I'm sure somebody else will be able to give you a more veterinary explanation :) ) it happens when the gut gets distended and then twisted - so for instance if a dog exercises too energetically just after a large meal. It can also be caused by anything else that may create gas in the stomach, so drinking too much water after eating, or eating when the dog is hot and agitated (ie straight after exercise).

If it happens it is a medical emergency and there is a chance the dog will die.

There is a useful link here

Thanks Fee :flowers: I'll have a look at that link :biggrin:

Emma bolts her food down so I just wanted to be careful. I'm not sure if she would be classed as a deep chested dog (chesapeake), she has certainly got a big chest though :rolleyes:

Thank you Snow :flowers:

I've read both the links now :) Very informative, Emma is very low on the scale provided in your link Snow, but nevertheless if any dog is prone to scoffing it is handy to know what it may be if they become ill :)

Edited by our little godsend

My vet also advised me to use a feeding stand for Nala (dobe).

Recent research has indicated that a raised feeding bowl can significantly increase the risk of bloat, although it used to be recommended to do the opposite.

Maybe your vet hasn't caught up yet.

Nala doesn't suffer from megaoesophagus, does she? A raised bowl can be justified in that case.

Pam

If your dog bolts her food and you feed her dried food you can scatter it on the floor so she has to 'hunt' for it. or put it into a treat ball. If she eats wet food try putting something in the centre of the bowl so she has to eat round it. I have heard of people putting washed stones or a ball in the bowl too. :)

That is why we use the stand that you saw Korky using on Sunday. (upside down bin with hole cut out for her bowl :wink: ) :) She can bolt her food sometimes.

Kazz x

Sorry to quote myself, but forgot to add that Korky also lay down whilst eating her food. It is a dried all in one. That is the main reason why I have a raised bowl for her. Max the other GSD eats normally out of an aluminium bowl off the floor. :)

There's two seperate things, bloat and torsion. Bloat is when the stomach fills with air and swells, and torsion is when the stomach twists. They usually go together, but not always, and although bloat alone *can* be fatal, torsion is the real killer.

The raised bowl debate has been going on for a while, but I still think the Purdue work (who say that raised feeders are worse) is poor research.

Bolting food does seem to be a factor, and some dogs will bolt more from a raised feeder because they can, in which case putting something like a large stone or chain in their bowl which they have to eat around can help. Kibble size has also been shown to be a factor, but again that is likely down to speed of eating.

On the other hand, stress seems to be a bigger factor than feeding, and anxious, stressy dogs are more likely to bloat.

It is largely breed specific, and I've never seen Chesapeakes listed as high risk, if there are any breed specific forums you could ask how common it is.

The giveaway symptom of torsion is trying to vomit but not being able to, but not all dogs do it, and even if they do it can be too late by then.

Recent research has indicated that a raised feeding bowl can significantly increase the risk of bloat, although it used to be recommended to do the opposite.

Maybe your vet hasn't caught up yet.

Nala doesn't suffer from megaoesophagus, does she? A raised bowl can be justified in that case.

Pam

Do you have a link with information on this please :flowers: No Nala doesn't suffer from megaesophagus :)

It's the Purdue research.

Thanks for that :flowers:

While reading a few web pages about this a few mention soaking dry food, do you think this is a good thing or bad thing. I don't soak mine.

Not related to bloat but food bowls, I know quite a few other Dobe owners feed with raised food bowls to help prevent skeletal problems.

Although more common in some deep chested breeds it can happen to any dog, heard of it in a Jack Russell.

Having had first hand experience of it with a Great Dane please remember the most important thing if you even suspect it, is to get the dog to a vet asap. On every occassion with the Dane we managed to avoid surgery, which wasn't advisable as she was an older dog, and just have a muscle relaxant adminstered to allowed the air to disperse.

Every rule in the book was followed, raised feeding, no exercise and yet she still bloated several times, luckily with the twist but it can still be fatal if the presssure builds up and shuts down vital organs

It's also a good idea to see if your dog burps afer meals - Rough Collies are prone to Bloat - fortunately Glen usually has a good burp - even though he is quite 'dainty' when he eats his grub (bit of a girl :wub: Bless!)

In other words ....... 'It's Good To Burp'! :laugh:

Sandra